• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The game of FB needs to evolve

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

Watching the game today when the targeting call was issued on Adams really highlighted what we have touched on in other threads.

FB needs to evolve. While I still have a primal feeling when I see a J. Lijiste type hit, we need to remember that these are kids and they are quite literally putting there lives on the line. While the Adams hit wasnt that bad, if the defender is an inch or so higher he could have ended a bright young man's career.

I actually had to explain to my 3 yr old son why daddy doesn't like football and how his brain is one of the most valuable part of his being and he needs to protect it (ie not play football). 

Hitting as a method of tackling or blocking needs to  be removed from the game. The D player must make a motion to wrap up, lock up, or strip the ball. The lack of doing so should lead to a penalty.

We have to protect these kids, as most will not make it to the next level, get no compensation while the risk for live altering events is high and others make millions. I think without these major shifts of how the game is played the future is bleak for a game I really enjoy.

Edited by Bull-Hornz

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Put your kid into rugby instead

one of the worst things to ever happen to football was the suits of armor. Made the players more willing to put themselves in potentially life- or career-threatening situations

Get rid of the pads and helmets, and you're back to rugby, essentially

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, charsibb said:

Put your kid into rugby instead

one of the worst things to ever happen to football was the suits of armor. Made the players more willing to put themselves in potentially life- or career-threatening situations

Get rid of the pads and helmets, and you're back to rugby, essentially

Funny you say that I read an article the other day bc I thought the same thing. My grandfather in law played iron man FB for Georgia with just the leather helmet.

Anyhow the article I read stated that it isn't any safer and the injuries shift to spinal and neck vs concussions. In the same article though another person stated FB was still more dangerous. 

Edit: Link to article referenced above

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/film/concussion/is-rugby-or-american-football-more-dangerous/

Edited by Bull-Hornz

I'd do some more research if I was you, but IMO the worst common injuries seem to be losing your front teeth

LMAO (see vid below)!! My kid is currently playing soccer and tennis.

Edited by Bull-Hornz

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  6,181
  • Days Won:  12

I agree I wouldn't let my kids play football, but I still enjoy watching it. Maybe I'd let them be a kicker or punter. Anyone who plays football knows the risks of brain injury.

Football is one of the most dangerous for head injuries, but I've seen some pretty horrific injuries while playing baseball, basketball, etc. 

8 minutes ago, Bull-Hornz said:

Frickin HILARIOUS!

Saw some Aussie Rules when I lived in Melbourne. GREAT game.

• Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  1,318
  • Days Won:  2

22 minutes ago, Bull-Hornz said:

Watching the game today when the targeting call was issued on Adams really highlighted what we have touched on in other threads.

FB needs to evolve. While I still have a primal feeling when I see a J. Lijiste type hit, we need to remember that these are kids and they are quite literally putting there lives on the line. While the Adams hit wasnt that bad, if the defender is an inch or so higher he could have ended a bright young man's career.

I actually had to explain to my 3 yr old son why daddy doesn't like football and how his brain is one of the most valuable part of his being and he needs to protect it (ie not play football). 

Hitting as a method of tackling or blocking needs to  be removed from the game. The D player must make a motion to wrap up, lock up, or strip the ball. The lack of doing so should lead to a penalty.

We have to protect these kids, as most will not make it to the next level, get no compensation while the risk for live altering events is high and others make millions. I think without these major shifts of how the game is played the future is bleak for a game I really enjoy.

Might as well eliminate the forward pass while you are at it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  6,181
  • Days Won:  12

12 minutes ago, Bull-Hornz said:

I played soccer for 10 years and still love the sport, but I've seen some pretty horrific leg injuries in soccer. I guess injuries are a part of every sport if you play it long enough. That video was hilarious!!! Professional soccer players are the worst with flopping, the NBA is right behind them. 

17 minutes ago, Rex Havoc said:

I agree I wouldn't let my kids play football, but I still enjoy watching it. Maybe I'd let them be a kicker or punter. Anyone who plays football knows the risks of brain injury.

Football is one of the most dangerous for head injuries, but I've seen some pretty horrific injuries while playing baseball, basketball, etc. 

I am not so sure that the college FB player fully comprehends or understand how to evaluate the risk-reward ratio. 

While there is always the risk of injury in all sports (such as a 100 mph projectile striking you in the face) the risk of life altering injuries is most likely orders of magintude lower in all the sports you mentioned above.

Edited by Bull-Hornz