• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

We Have Simply Failed to Field a Competitive Defense

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  2,345
  • Content Count:  21,365
  • Days Won:  10

They just have issues the first half and with tackling.  :GoBulls:

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

I hope it gets worked out. I agree that Navy is the biggest test for our defense. They need to get some stops. It's awesome to have the offense we have. Cincy was kind of forced to abandon the run late in the game which led to us getting some turnovers and holding them down. With this offense, we will make a lot of teams one-dimensional. Navy just isn't going to waiver though. They are who they are and they will keep pounding it, all while playing keep-away with our offense on the sidelines.

But... they are pretty one-dimensional, so, hopefully we can put together a game plan to get some stops and get the lead quickly.

I was actually very happy with our defense in the second half. I think also that everyone complaining about the defense needs to understand how many plays they are playing. We are dead last in the number of plays they have been on the field. Some is because they haven't gotten stops when needed, but, some of it is on the style of offense we play. I thought we did better on offense in this game and it matches the lowest number of plays the D has been on the field (NIU) this season. We have a long stretch before a bye week, we really need to try to control the clock a bit more these next 2 weeks against ECU and UConn. After that, Navy and Temple, we are going to need to be as fresh as possible.

• Topic Count:  291
  • Content Count:  2,667
  • Days Won:  0

I would say watching the Air Force/Navy game film will definitely be beneficial on how to stop Navy's running attack as AF held Navy to only 57 yds rushing, How many games can you say that Navy has 200+ yards passing and <100 yards rushing? If we go into the Navy game with the right gameplan, and can execute on that plan we should be fine. The AF game shows that if you force Navy to pass, they are beatable. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,724
  • Days Won:  109

35 minutes ago, Orlando Bull said:

I hope it gets worked out. I agree that Navy is the biggest test for our defense. They need to get some stops. It's awesome to have the offense we have. Cincy was kind of forced to abandon the run late in the game which led to us getting some turnovers and holding them down. With this offense, we will make a lot of teams one-dimensional. Navy just isn't going to waiver though. They are who they are and they will keep pounding it, all while playing keep-away with our offense on the sidelines.

But... they are pretty one-dimensional, so, hopefully we can put together a game plan to get some stops and get the lead quickly.

I was actually very happy with our defense in the second half. I think also that everyone complaining about the defense needs to understand how many plays they are playing. We are dead last in the number of plays they have been on the field. Some is because they haven't gotten stops when needed, but, some of it is on the style of offense we play. I thought we did better on offense in this game and it matches the lowest number of plays the D has been on the field (NIU) this season. We have a long stretch before a bye week, we really need to try to control the clock a bit more these next 2 weeks against ECU and UConn. After that, Navy and Temple, we are going to need to be as fresh as possible.

I guess we need to watch some film from the Air Force game. Navy passed for 260 and rushed for 57. 

http://navy.247sports.com/StatGame/Air-Force-Falcons-Navy-Midshipmen-112838#gamestats

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  361
  • Days Won:  0

The defense they normally play is not designed to stop power running teams it's designed to stop the spread offense. That's why they need to adjust their game plan playing teams like FSU & Navy. 

It's very frustrating when you watch their defense of ends continually not set the edge on running plays.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

11 hours ago, bullsmeanbusiness said:

I would say watching the Air Force/Navy game film will definitely be beneficial on how to stop Navy's running attack as AF held Navy to only 57 yds rushing, How many games can you say that Navy has 200+ yards passing and <100 yards rushing? If we go into the Navy game with the right gameplan, and can execute on that plan we should be fine. The AF game shows that if you force Navy to pass, they are beatable. 

This has been the case for several years now.

We have the quick-strike offense that can put Navy in a hole. If we can score 4 out of 5 trips, and stop them 2 out of 5, we can win going away

• Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

On 10/2/2016 at 9:14 AM, beefy620 said:

Woodie needs at minimum till end of year.  

Against much worse competition he looks equally unprepared. Maybe we should give him till end of 3rd quarter.

(Though admittedly the first half looks pretty poor coaching on all accounts)

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  4,131
  • Days Won:  15

Give me a D that gives up 6 points in the first half and I'll take them all day. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

11 minutes ago, Bausfkid said:

Give me a D that gives up 6 points in the first half and I'll take them all day. 

Depends a lot on who you are playing. This is an offense with no ground attack and they have run all over us. Fortunately we have been a second half team.

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  4,131
  • Days Won:  15

Agreed Grouper. 

Today we're playing ECU and the D has given up 6 points.  They've bent, but not broken.  Just like last week I'd like to see NH and AS come out and close this one out.  Leaders need to lead.

Go Bulls!