• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Sanchez and Harris

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

2 hours ago, jchem1995 said:

I know this is about Sanchez and Harris btwf is Fullwood doing with his patented shoulder bump tackle. What is that? do foot ball coaches now teach a shoulder bump as a tackling technique? I need answers.

Because tackling hurts?

• Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  1,318
  • Days Won:  2

2 hours ago, Bausfkid said:

It's the ESPN "look at me" generation.  He's a corner and is looking for the "kill" shot.  This is nothing new.  Tackling at all levels of football is pretty marginal.   Very few wrap and drive thru the ball carrier at any level.  It's part of the reason scores are 45 - 38.  Christ, we spend more time "ohhhing and ahhhhing" over what uniform we're wearing than playing football.  It's a "look at me" world whether I like it or not. 

Poor tackling technique is on the player.

Go Bulls!

I think that may be part of the problem, but the bigger issue is the reduction in contact and teaching of proper technique at the youth levels. Instead of teaching kids how to tackle properly we have removed contact to avoid concussions. Heck even at the HS level there have been reductions in the amount of contact that is allowed in practice.

Same thing is/has happened in hockey. They have removed checking (and fighting) at youth levels and now they don't know how to finish a check properly leading to dangerous hits.

• Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

23 minutes ago, Capital H said:

I think that may be part of the problem, but the bigger issue is the reduction in contact and teaching of proper technique at the youth levels. Instead of teaching kids how to tackle properly we have removed contact to avoid concussions. Heck even at the HS level there have been reductions in the amount of contact that is allowed in practice.

Same thing is/has happened in hockey. They have removed checking (and fighting) at youth levels and now they don't know how to finish a check properly leading to dangerous hits.

Agree. While I still get amped when I see good clean hits, its getting hard for me to justify my excitement other than being primal. If football has any chance of surviving in the long term it will have to actually begin to penalize hits and rewarding fundamental tackling. We have seen the beginning of this with targeting calls and unnecessary roughness. I could see a progression of this line of thought to a rule that would penalize a player for hitting a player without making any attempt to wrap up or stripe the ball from the offensive player. As far as blocking you would also have to remove hitting/leveling a player without locking up as a form of blocking. This really starts to change the game but makes it a game that I could see my son playing. As it stands now, I wouldn't approve of my son playing football and in fact I might have to stop watching it as often.  

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  4,131
  • Days Won:  15

All good commentary on the game and its evolution.  I don't want to move off topic to far.  AS and NH have had solid years to this point.  Would like to see the D come out more aggressive from the first whistle and it starts and ends with these two leaders.

Go Bulls!

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

Where has Vincent Jackson been?  Don't recall hearing his name called at all this season.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878

I'm kinda liking what I'm seeing in Sawtelle too. It looks like he's coming along well, see him making good tackles and seems to be in the right place when he's in.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,215
  • Days Won:  1

26 minutes ago, El_Toro_86 said:

Where has Vincent Jackson been?  Don't recall hearing his name called at all this season.

Been starting at DE opposite of Livingstone. 

To further rage about the soft zone coverages and refusal to adjust to power running schemes, it truly seems as if we are playing a "mush rush" at the DE position, especially his at edge. Essentially engage and read with the responsibility of contain, not allowing him to get upfield forcing the DTs to be soely responsible for pushing the pocket. 

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,215
  • Days Won:  1

2 minutes ago, raptorcj said:

I'm kinda liking what I'm seeing in Sawtelle too. It looks like he's coming along well, see him making good tackles and seems to be in the right place when he's in.

Definitely very athletic. Kid can chase the ball

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878

11 minutes ago, IBulleve said:
14 minutes ago, raptorcj said:

Definitely very athletic. Kid can chase the ball

Always nice to see the new guys come in and perform well. Hope he can keep cycling in.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

48 minutes ago, Bausfkid said:

All good commentary on the game and its evolution.  I don't want to move off topic to far.  AS and NH have had solid years to this point.  Would like to see the D come out more aggressive from the first whistle and it starts and ends with these two leaders.

Go Bulls!

Had the worst seat ever for an away game, first row, which was at field level, but right behind our part of the bench where the defense usually came when not on field. Often times, though, it would be just AS and NH sitting by themselves there, saying very little to each other, just kind of chillin', waiting to back into the fray .... Was kind of neat.