• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Has the time come that we can build an IPF?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,114
  • Days Won:  7

As you're aware, the fact that we don't have one is a substantial competitive disadvantage, especially in the lightning heavy and storm heavy Florida summers. 

The question is-where do we get the money to do it, and how much does it cost?

Houston just issued a request for quote for their own IPF, and it's going to run $20M based on their budget approximately. If we wanted to make a power move, maybe we find a way to build a better one for $30M. 

So here's how we pay for it:

1. Capital Improvement Trust Fund-$15M. This will require us to open the facility to the entire student body, but as long as we schedule things carefully, it won't be a huge problem-plus you can simply block off practice times in spring,summer, and fall for the football team for times when they'd be practicing anyway.

2. Donor funds-any ideas on how much we can raise? If we do a Houston then we only need to raise $5M, which could come from one or two big donors. 

3. Borrowing-hopefully we won't have to do this, but we  may have to. 

It's not an OCS, but it's a step forward and shows we're committed to our facilities in expansion proceedings.

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,612
  • Days Won:  51

Why not just build an OCS with a retractable roof and solve both problems.  That way we don't have to piss away $30 mill on an IPF

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

37 minutes ago, Sellular1 said:

Why not just build an OCS with a retractable roof and solve both problems.  That way we don't have to piss away $30 mill on an IPF

Too much wear and tear on the turf would be my first thought. Second would be that it would probably cost close to the $30 mill for the roof.

2 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

Too much wear and tear on the turf would be my first thought. Second would be that it would probably cost close to the $30 mill for the roof.

If you only use it when you can't paractice outside, the turf would be fine.  As for the cost, I don't know for sure but that seems a little steep just to make a roof partially open.  I guess it just depends on the size and scale

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

17 minutes ago, Sellular1 said:

If you only use it when you can't paractice outside, the turf would be fine.  As for the cost, I don't know for sure but that seems a little steep just to make a roof partially open.  I guess it just depends on the size and scale

I guess I was WAAAYYY short of my estimate...

All this roof technology comes with a price tag. A retractable roof adds between $100 million and $150 million to a project over an open stadium, Waggoner said, and between $25 million and $40 million over the cost of a closed, fixed-roof stadium.

http://www.livescience.com/42996-open-stadium-super-bowl-2014.html

21 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

I guess I was WAAAYYY short of my estimate...

All this roof technology comes with a price tag. A retractable roof adds between $100 million and $150 million to a project over an open stadium, Waggoner said, and between $25 million and $40 million over the cost of a closed, fixed-roof stadium.

http://www.livescience.com/42996-open-stadium-super-bowl-2014.html

The article is talking about huge stadiums like Jerry World and Lucas Field.  When I was a little kid I built a tree house that had a retractable roof so the Playboy's I stole from my dad wouldn't get rained on...   Didn't work too well in retrospect.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

1 hour ago, Ned A Starr said:

I think that's next on the list after securing the naming rights to the Sun Dome... 

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  615
  • Days Won:  1

$20 million? are they including offices as part of the facility?

It can be done for a lot cheaper and you can save money for the Football stadium

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,519
  • Days Won:  422

15 minutes ago, ambienknights said:

It can be done for a lot cheaper and you can save money for the Football stadium

Proud of myself .... showing great restraint here.

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

7 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Proud of myself .... showing great restraint here.

24 minutes ago, ambienknights said:

It doesn't even have to have water fountains, amirite? :D

• Upvote 1