• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

John Jancek new Safeties Coach

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

6 hours ago, adphill2 said:

I've always been interested to see how many guys come to FL for the tax purposes, no state tax. Its got to be a lot. Think about it, he's still getting Tennessee money and pennies from USF and it'll all be at just the federal rate instead of including the state tax too.. I know there are other states that do the same thing but man if I was a coach I'd find a way to coach in Fl whether that's FSU, UF, UM, UCF, USF, somewhere if it's the same amount of pay as another school is willing to spend.. my 2 cents

The highest state income tax in the entire country is still less than 10%. It's not some huge win avoiding the taxes in FL. Most states are under 5%. I don't get why people always make this distinction. If somewhere is willing to pay more than 5-10% you're better off outside FL.

P.S. FL wages are much less than 5-10% many other states.

Edited by The Great 8
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

USF ATHLETICS GoUSFBulls.com

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

DATE: FEB. 1, 2016

Follow @USFFootball On Twitter

Like USF Football on Facebook

USF Names Jancek Safeties Coach

Former Tennessee Defensive Coordinator Joins Taggart’s Staff

TAMPA, FEB. 1, 2016  – USF Head Coach Willie Taggart today announced the addition of a second veteran coordinator to the Bulls’ staff, naming former Tennessee defensive coordinator John Jancek as USF safeties coach. Jancek joins former UConn and WKU offensive coordinator T.J. Weist, named receivers coach on Jan. 25, as experienced coordinators to join Taggart’s USF staff recently.

Jancek has served as defensive coordinator at seven programs in his 25-year coaching career, most recently at Tennessee from 2013-15. He also held the defensive coordinator title at Cincinnati (2010-13), Central Michigan (2003-05), Grand Valley State (1999-2003), Hillsdale College (1996-99) and Wayne State (1992-95) and served as co-defensive coordinator at Georgia in 2009.

“John brings a tremendous amount of experience and football knowledge to our program and our players are going to love working with him,” Taggart said. “We’re excited to add his background and input to the defensive foundation we have begun building and I look forward to his working with the very talented group of safeties we have returning.”

A graduate and former all-conference player at NCAA Division II national power Grand Valley State, Jancek has recruited Florida for the three programs he has worked with since 2003. He has coached in nine bowl games and helped teams to three Top 10 finishes in the national rankings, five conference championships and a Division II National Championship.

“I am very excited for the opportunity to join the USF staff and be a part of the program Coach Taggart is building in Tampa,” Jancek said. “The future looks very bright for this program and I am looking forward to working with some very talented players in our secondary.”

In his three seasons at Tennessee (2013-15), Jancek coached players to five All-SEC selections and three players to Freshman All-SEC honors, including Derek Barnett who set Tennessee records for sacks (10) and tackles for loss (20.5) by a freshman as was named a consensus Freshman All-American. Tennessee ranked 16th in the nation in scoring defense (20.0) in 2015 as the Vols went 9-4 and won the Outback Bowl, 45-6, over Northwestern. 

The Vols ranked 22nd in the nation in passing yards allowed (196.2) in 2014 and 27th (211.1) in 2013. All of the Vols’ national defensive rankings greatly improved over Jancek’s three-year tenure, including total defense going from 83rd to 36th and scoring defense from 78th to 16th, as Tennessee won two bowl games during that time.

Prior to Tennessee, Jancek spent three seasons at Cincinnati (2010-12), the first two as co-defensive coordinator and linebackers coach before being promoted to defensive coordinator in 2012. The Bearcats ranked among the FBS’s top 20 in scoring defense in 2011 and 2012 and led the nation in tackles for loss (8.62 per game) and was second in sacks (3.46 per game) in 2011. He coached four players to first team All-Big East honors, including 2011 Co-Defensive Player of the Year and current Denver Bronco defensive end Derek Wolfe. Jancek also served as recruiting coordinator at Cincinnati for two years and helped deliver the Big East’s top recruiting class in 2011.

Jancek spent five seasons at Georgia (2005-09) coaching linebackers and serving as co-defensive coordinator in 2009. During his time in Athens, UGA won 48 games, reached two BCS bowl games, claimed an SEC championship and finished in the top 10 of the final national rankings three times. 

Jacek spent two seasons at Central Michigan (2003-04) starting as a defensive line coach before being promoted to defensive coordinator in 2004. Prior to that he spent five seasons as defensive coordinator his alma mater, Grand Valley State (1999-2003), where he worked under current Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly and helped guide GVSU to the 2002 NCAA Division II national championship and 2001 national championship game.

A Muskegon, Mich. Native, Jancek began his career in coaching in 1991 as a graduate assistant at Grand Valley State. He was an all-conference defensive lineman at GVSU, graduating in 1991 with a BS in physical education. He went on to receive his master’s degree in athletic administration from Wayne State in 1994. 

Jancek and his wife, Kelly, have four boys: Zack (17), Brock (15), Jack (13) and Brady (11).

USF’s secondary returns three of the team’s top five tacklers from 2015, including first-team all-conference cornerback Deatrick Nichols (62 tackles, 8.5 TFL, 4 INT), three-year starting safety Nate Godwin (63 tackles) and two-year starting safety Devin Abraham (51 tackles). They will be joined by experienced players such as Tajee Fullwood, Johnny Ward, Ronnie Hoggins, Mazzi Wilkins, Khalid McGee and Jalen Spencer.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

14 hours ago, adphill2 said:

I've always been interested to see how many guys come to FL for the tax purposes, no state tax. Its got to be a lot. Think about it, he's still getting Tennessee money and pennies from USF and it'll all be at just the federal rate instead of including the state tax too.. I know there are other states that do the same thing but man if I was a coach I'd find a way to coach in Fl whether that's FSU, UF, UM, UCF, USF, somewhere if it's the same amount of pay as another school is willing to spend.. my 2 cents

Tennessee doesn't have a state income tax

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

2 hours ago, Apis Bull said:

Tennessee doesn't have a state income tax

Neither does Texas.