• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

why isn't there a G5 playoff?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

if no G5 team ever has a chance of cracking the playoff can't those conferences work up a playoff system of their own? 

As it stands there is literally nothing to play for, other than a bowl which means nothing.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,512
  • Days Won:  422

I'm guessing in not too many years they're going to expand the playoffs and the highest ranked G5 cc gets in. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

I hope they dont expand the playoff. I think 4 is perfect. 6 with 2 BYE teams would be a stretch, but 8+ would just be too much. 2 and 3 loss teams shouldnt be getting a chance against undefeated and 1 loss teams. 

I wouldnt mind seeing a G5 playoff. Conference winners + an at-large. Or maybe just the four highest ranked. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

Why? Because the G5 doesn't want to looked at as in a different division from P5, like FCS is. They want a chance to play in the P5. The last thing the G5 wants is to be seen as a lower tier that should be in a division of its own. 

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,512
  • Days Won:  422

I hope they dont expand the playoff. I think 4 is perfect. 6 with 2 BYE teams would be a stretch, but 8+ would just be too much. 2 and 3 loss teams shouldnt be getting a chance against undefeated and 1 loss teams. 

I wouldnt mind seeing a G5 playoff. Conference winners + an at-large. Or maybe just the four highest ranked. 

FCS does it with 8 teams so don't see why FBS couldn't also ... although, the ccg's are something I don't believe the FCS has. Regardless, I am with slick, though, no way the G5 should have their own playoffs ....... until the P5 totally breaks off.

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

Why? Because the G5 doesn't want to looked at as in a different division from P5, like FCS is. They want a chance to play in the P5. The last thing the G5 wants is to be seen as a lower tier that should be in a division of its own. 

Exactly this

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

if no G5 team ever has a chance of cracking the playoff can't those conferences work up a playoff system of their own? 

As it stands there is literally nothing to play for, other than a bowl which means nothing.

makes too much sense

it would take press away from the big boys

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  276
  • Days Won:  1

I think it will eventually happen. Power 5 schools are going to eventually stop playing D-1AA teams and then will eventually drop non P 5 schools because of strength of schedule, ticket sales, and TV. It's going to happen. The question is, which AAC schools can make the jump first OR can the AAC elevate themselves somehow to be equal to the ACC. Our top 6 teams could be competitive in that conference, the bottom half is not capable. It's really a race to see if Houston, USF, UCF, Memphis, Cincy, UConn and Navy can make the leap. But yes, I think that we will eventually see alot of football programs just go away because of either concussion insurance, lack of revenue from no longer traveling to P5 programs, or lack of TV payouts. I think that the AAC could hold on. The MAC, CUSA, and Sun Belt schools are going to struggle to make any money (ala UAB). 

• Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,252
  • Days Won:  1

The playoff will be expanded to 8. Hopefully if the AAC doesn't become a P5 conference they allow the best G5 champion to play in the 8 team playoff.

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

So G5 teams are sitting by their phones hoping and praying for an invite to the P5?  An invite that has never been hinted at by anyone with the power to make that happen?  Sorry as a grown man i can't imagine that a group of other grown men more powerfal than myself would be satisfied with that as their lot in life.