• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

why isn't there a G5 playoff?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

Why? Because the G5 doesn't want to looked at as in a different division from P5, like FCS is. They want a chance to play in the P5. The last thing the G5 wants is to be seen as a lower tier that should be in a division of its own.

So G5 teams are waiting by their phones hoping and praying for an invite to the P5?  An invite, mind you, that has never even been hinted at as a possibility by anyone who has the influence to even begin to make it happen?  I just have a hard time understanding how a group of grown men far more powerful than myself are content to just sit back and accept this as their lot in life.

The playoff will be expanded to 8. Hopefully if the AAC doesn't become a P5 conference they allow the best G5 champion to play in the 8 team playoff.

When, exactly, is the Playoff expanding to 8?

So even if it does, the G5 have a shot at ONE of these 8 spots? 

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,404
  • Days Won:  13

So G5 teams are waiting by their phones hoping and praying for an invite to the P5?  An invite, mind you, that has never even been hinted at as a possibility by anyone who has the influence to even begin to make it happen?  I just have a hard time understanding how a group of grown men far more powerful than myself are content to just sit back and accept this as their lot in life.

Did I say that? The P5 could stop playing the G5. No more TV or bowl money not to mention the publicity football affords which effects everything from attendance to donations. It's all about money and to a lesser extent prestige.

Did I say that? The P5 could stop playing the G5. No more TV or bowl money not to mention the publicity football affords which effects everything from attendance to donations. It's all about money and to a lesser extent prestige.

Maybe I misread your post, but regardless that seems like what the G5 is doing.  Accommodating the P5 in hopes that at some point someone gets an invite instead of taking it upon ourselves to have some sort of goal to play for other than a meaningless bowl game. 

You also said the last thing the G5 doesn't want to be seen as is lower tier.  Like it or not by virtue of not being allowed to play for a national chamionship with the big boys is exactly how we are already seen.  If we were seen as equals we would be given a chance at the title.

Edited by beastiebull

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Maybe I misread your post, but regardless that seems like what the G5 is doing.  Accommodating the P5 in hopes that at some point someone gets an invite instead of taking it upon ourselves to have some sort of goal to play for other than a meaningless bowl game. 

You also said the last thing the G5 doesn't want to be seen as is lower tier.  Like it or not by virtue of not being allowed to play for a national chamionship with the big boys is exactly how we are already seen.  If we were seen as equals we would be given a chance at the title.

As difficult as it may be, we are not, "not allowed" to play for the National Championship.  If the G5 set up a play-off you're conceding that you play a lesser brand of football, for a trophy no less meaningless than a bowl win.

• Upvote 2

As difficult as it may be, we are not, "not allowed" to play for the National Championship.  If the G5 set up a play-off you're conceding that you play a lesser brand of football, for a trophy no less meaningless than a bowl win.

If I have a 1% chance of winning the lottery I am not letting that possibility dictate how I conduct my daily life. 

I do believe that winning a playoff that involves all of the G5 conferences would have more meaning than a win at the Miami Bowl or whatever it is we are playing in. 

Further it would be reasonable to believe that the G5 teams that might win this hypothetical playoff would have the insisde track at a P5 spot should expansion occur. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,605
  • Content Count:  74,216
  • Days Won:  422

If I have a 1% chance of winning the lottery I am not letting that possibility dictate how I conduct my daily life. 

I do believe that winning a playoff that involves all of the G5 conferences would have more meaning than a win at the Miami Bowl or whatever it is we are playing in. 

Further it would be reasonable to believe that the G5 teams that might win this hypothetical playoff would have the insisde track at a P5 spot should expansion occur. 

It would not at all be reasonable to make a blanket statement like that ...

It would not at all be reasonable to make a blanket statement like that ...

What?  Saying it is reasonable to believe that something could occur is far from making a blanket statement. 

Edited by beastiebull

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,605
  • Content Count:  74,216
  • Days Won:  422

What?  Saying it is reasonable to believe that something could occur is far from making a blanket statement. 

So if WKU would win this mythical G5 playoff of yours, they'd have the inside track on getting to a P5 if expansion should occur?

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  246
  • Days Won:  0

You guys do not get it at all. the AAC is not on G5 level. We are a middle ground between the p5 and crap 4. I dont know what the record ended as, but the AAC more than half way through the season was 12-1 vs the rest of the G4. The one loss came from UCF to FIU. 

My point is, if the MWC, MAC, CUSA, and sun belt want to do that, thats fine. But as Mike Aresco, I would know my leagues worth is above the sun belt. Let this sink in, UCF, ECU, Memphis, and Houston all left an established C USA just to be in a conference with USF, UConn, Temple, and Cincy. Certainly we can yank Marshall, Boise, and Air Force while dropping Tulane to create the premier middle teir conference.

So my point is, the AAC can bridge the gap between the P5 and G4, and has a chance to have a team make a playoff in chaotic years. Im content in this conference, without a 'G5 championship' that you guys lump us with. If I were Mike Aresco, id drive that point home that we are not G5, and pick up programs that will emphasize that statement. It would also show we can pick up anybody we want. Just my 2 cents