• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Former Basketball Players

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Josh Heath left as soon as dad was canned, so there was no way we were keeping him. LeDay, quite frankly, surprises me. I thought he was undersized for a PF, and he didn't play with the finesse of a SF. He was a bit of a "tweener" that hustled for some rebounds, but I never saw him as much of a scorer in the Big East days. Hawkins is playing at Eastern Kentucky, so I'm sure his numbers need to be taken in that context. He's playing as a man amongst boys, skill wise. I was sad to see Collins leave, and I would have loved for him to have stuck around, but I think he left because he wasn't going to get the starting nod as a senior. It's purely conjecture at my part, of course. Egbunu is the biggest loss, in my opinion. I would have loved if he stayed, but I think Antigua's idea of strength and conditioning was different than that of his predecessor, so I'm sure John thought why not take his talents to Gainesville, if he's going to be forced to take S&C more seriously.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Hawkins was a similar player to Victor Rudd. His shooting % was similar to Rudd's. Had he stayed and become one of the "go to" guys in Heath's offense he may have been successful. He was pretty highly regarded coming in.  

If I recall correctly, there were some rumblings that Egbunu may have transferred regardless if Stan stayed. 

Heath's last team here was filled with a lot of very young, but supposedly talented players.  His previous teams here, out of necessity always included several transfers and/or JUCO kids. The recruiting classes he landed after the NCAA year were solid and I believe was a strong foundation for maintained success rather than the up and down cycles we went through because we never had our best/experienced players on the roster for more than 2 seasons.  I just feel like, for whatever reasons, Judy and the administration pulled the plug way too early on Stan and set the program back rather than improving it. 

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

I think they pulled the plug at the right time. Once the Hipshers left, I think Heath's teams suffered. Rocaforte was Heath's best recruiter, and he lacked anyone on his support staff that could counter Heath's apparent lack of offensive coaching skills. Heath's teams were not exciting to watch--on the offensive front.  I think we'll be fine under Antigua; he's got a great supporting staff and the man is a recruiter.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

We'll have to endure the suckage until all the guys are bought in and we can beef up the talent. I liked Heath and all, but we'll be better in the long run, IMO.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

I think they pulled the plug at the right time. Once the Hipshers left, I think Heath's teams suffered. Rocaforte was Heath's best recruiter, and he lacked anyone on his support staff that could counter Heath's apparent lack of offensive coaching skills. Heath's teams were not exciting to watch--on the offensive front.  I think we'll be fine under Antigua; he's got a great supporting staff and the man is a recruiter.

Roc was still here when Stan was let go, wasn't he? And Heath's teams suffered because we were in a rebuilding mode after 2012. Not sayin he should have had another couple of years but he should have had at least one more with the highest ranked USF recruiting class he brought in. 

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

Miss those fellas. Fun to watch. Big losses imo. We should be good in the long run though. It is college after all. Only get them for 4 years max so as long as we have the facilities and the structure of the program right, it shouldnt hurt too bad. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

Hawkins is playing at Eastern Kentucky, so I'm sure his numbers need to be taken in that context. He's playing as a man amongst boys, skill wise. 

JaVontae scored 19 against Kentucky last night. 

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

JaVontae scored 19 against Kentucky last night. 

that's almost our total for a half a b-ball against them

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  488
  • Days Won:  0

Hawkins was a similar player to Victor Rudd. His shooting % was similar to Rudd's. Had he stayed and become one of the "go to" guys in Heath's offense he may have been successful. He was pretty highly regarded coming in.  

If I recall correctly, there were some rumblings that Egbunu may have transferred regardless if Stan stayed. 

Heath's last team here was filled with a lot of very young, but supposedly talented players.  His previous teams here, out of necessity always included several transfers and/or JUCO kids. The recruiting classes he landed after the NCAA year were solid and I believe was a strong foundation for maintained success rather than the up and down cycles we went through because we never had our best/experienced players on the roster for more than 2 seasons.  I just feel like, for whatever reasons, Judy and the administration pulled the plug way too early on Stan and set the program back rather than improving it. 

People were rumbling for his removal...I know what we say on this board or elsewhere for that matter should not have an effect on USF's sports' programs, but it really does.  As much as I didn't care too much for CSH's or for his style of basketball, I was disappointed he wasn't retained.  He had a miraculous season when we went to the NCAA tourney and he was building off of that, which can take some time...especially here at USF.  As far as I can remember (since 1992), we've never really had a strong support for the BB program and every time we get a new coach, we start all over.  New system, new players, new assistants, and mostly having to start from scratch with the fan base.  I went to the exhibition game this season and I could of sworn the 50 other people in the Sun Dome (incl. players) could hear my conversation I was having with my wife and kids.  I had to tell my boys to whisper, so no one could hear us talking.

We live in a "drive-thru society."  Everything must be "right-this-minute."  Just my two cents.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

People were rumbling for his removal...I know what we say on this board or elsewhere for that matter should not have an effect on USF's sports' programs, but it really does.  As much as I didn't care too much for CSH's or for his style of basketball, I was disappointed he wasn't retained.  He had a miraculous season when we went to the NCAA tourney and he was building off of that, which can take some time...especially here at USF.  As far as I can remember (since 1992), we've never really had a strong support for the BB program and every time we get a new coach, we start all over.  New system, new players, new assistants, and mostly having to start from scratch with the fan base.  I went to the exhibition game this season and I could of sworn the 50 other people in the Sun Dome (incl. players) could hear my conversation I was having with my wife and kids.  I had to tell my boys to whisper, so no one could hear us talking.

We live in a "drive-thru society."  Everything must be "right-this-minute."  Just my two cents.

I thought it was a terrible move to fire Heath. He lead USF to the greatest season in a Major Sport in the History of USF Athletics. He had a great class and was just getting the benefit of great facilities. Very stupid to let him go.