• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What actually seems to work...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  90
  • Days Won:  0

Did anyone else notice that the one thing that seemed to work well in the Maryland game was when we ran option on the scoring drive. With Flowers, Johnson, and Mack (rotating Tice of course) on the field all at once we could actually see some offense.  Granted it wouldn't be explosive but each carry got us anywhere from 4 to 6 yards.  I feel like the option would be best for our offense given the personnel and strengths at RB.  Thoughts?

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Running a true option offense requires a large scale change in philosophy, personnel, etc. I think it can be a nice change of pace with a play run here or there, but as the core offensive system...don't see it happening mid-season.

Edited by JTrue

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  90

Completely agree.  I don't mean completely changing the philosophy, but definitely using it more. It seemed we used it on the scoring drive and then never saw it again.  I would just like to see it used a little more often since are backs are our strength and running is Flowers' strength.  But what do we know we would have left Flowers in after scoring on a long TD drive.  Obviously CWT knows what he's doing by putting Bench in after a successful drive.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,459
  • Days Won:  25

Depending on the D of course, and it would have to be quick, but run the W on a post, E on a slant or mid middle if both safeties follow W. Run S on an out pattern to take the corner, swing both B's to the flats. I know that's a lot of reads for QF, but somebody would have to be open.

W    S   TGCGTE

Q

B              B

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,802

Depending on the D of course, and it would have to be quick, but run the W on a post, E on a slant or mid middle if both safeties follow W. Run S on an out pattern to take the corner, swing both B's to the flats. I know that's a lot of reads for QF, but somebody would have to be open.

W    S   TGCGTE

Q

B              B

This makes too much sense. We wont do it.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

I thought the only thing that has worked thus far is the wheel route to D'Ernest Johnson ...

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,074
  • Days Won:  14

That works unless we are trying to come from behind.  If we let them get ahead by 2 touchdowns, that scheme would work, but only because they'd give it to us.  That is to say they'd give us 4 to 6 yards just to make us have to take long drives to score and run the clock for them.

• Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

I think the only reason that drive worked is bc MD went into prevent and was happy giving up the run. We know that Memphis has a weakness and this is not a favorable matchup for us.

Memphis:

34th in the Nation in Rushing D (120 yrds/game)

123th in the Nation for Passing Yrds allowed (333.8 yrds/game). Only 4 other teams in the country are worse then they are in passes yrds. 

For comparison:

MD

100th rushing D (200.3 YPG)

101th passing yrds allowed (267 YPG)

• Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

That works unless we are trying to come from behind.  If we let them get ahead by 2 touchdowns, that scheme would work, but only because they'd give it to us.  That is to say they'd give us 4 to 6 yards just to make us have to take long drives to score and run the clock for them.

Ha sry you beat me to it. I would listen to Malt he was in the top 3 of last weeks TBP college pick'em. He obviously knows his stuff ;)

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,074
  • Days Won:  14

Ha sry you beat me to it. I would listen to Malt he was in the top 3 of last weeks TBP college pick'em. He obviously knows his stuff ;)

Not really.  I just got lucky.