• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The sky is falling!!! (not)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  144
  • Days Won:  2

Look at this team objectively:

We have a rushing attack.

We have a young defense that really needs to work on fundamental tackling skills.

We have an O-Line that needs some work on pass protection.

We need a QB who can throw the **** ball.

We are stocked at receiver for the first time since Skip got fired, but they are all young.

When I look at 2013 and 2014 seasons, I literally didn't even see how we could get better to win games. My thought was "holy ****, they need to just drop half the players and start over from scratch." 

I no longer see that. I see that we have playmakers at almost every position on the field except QB. I think we can win games with that formula... but the progress will be week to week. The DBs are too young and make too many mistakes, the O-Line didn't materialize with the linup that everyone wanted going into fall camp, and the receivers are showing their youth.

All I'm saying is this... 

Despite some of the STUPIDEST, stubborn play calling (you could tell Taggart was calling his pre-determined game plan instead of taking advantage of what MD's defense was giving us) -- I see specific places this team can improve upon to actually win some games this year. We will recover after this embarassing loss and win some games.

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

:applause:  for your daring courage in posting a positive thread...

I have hope you may be right on the recovery, though it will take a lot of effort and determination from both the coaches & players. We took a step back at Maryland, let's hope this time off is used wisely.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,127
  • Days Won:  6

Look at this team objectively:

We have a rushing attack.

We have a young defense that really needs to work on fundamental tackling skills.

We have an O-Line that needs some work on pass protection.

We need a QB who can throw the **** ball.

We are stocked at receiver for the first time since Skip got fired, but they are all young.

When I look at 2013 and 2014 seasons, I literally didn't even see how we could get better to win games. My thought was "holy ****, they need to just drop half the players and start over from scratch." 

I no longer see that. I see that we have playmakers at almost every position on the field except QB. I think we can win games with that formula... but the progress will be week to week. The DBs are too young and make too many mistakes, the O-Line didn't materialize with the linup that everyone wanted going into fall camp, and the receivers are showing their youth.

All I'm saying is this... 

Despite some of the STUPIDEST, stubborn play calling (you could tell Taggart was calling his pre-determined game plan instead of taking advantage of what MD's defense was giving us) -- I see specific places this team can improve upon to actually win some games this year. We will recover after this embarassing loss and win some games.

I think a lot of people will silently agree with you but be prepared for the onslaught.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,144
  • Days Won:  40

I kind of agree with the OP, but I have a feeling we will continue to lose games unless something changes on the bye week. Go back to the drawing board. You have many OCs on staff.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,705
  • Days Won:  3

It is tough beating the drum of optimism. The season will have to play out. That game against MD did not go how i thought it would at all and our youth showed. We need the team that went toe to toe with FSU to be back on point for Memphis. I am hoping the bye week gives our guys time to gel and maybe some time to tweak the starting lineup for those that are hungry to make plays on game day.

I know CWT is on the field calling the plays but the input from the OC (who I assume is in the booth and on the headset) is the one feeding him the info. Let's stop with the conspiracy theories. The plays are being called the way they are because we know our passing game is a risk right now with either QB. Oh and the QB debate, they are both on roughly the same playing level with slightly different attributes. The margin is not enough to warrant 50 threads but hey.. it's TBP. 

I think this staff has made the right moves to get the right personnel in here but hey there is no free agency and the NCAA sees fit to take it's own sweet time. We have some real talent developing. Short of tanking the entire season we will see CWT put that personnel to use. 

That said, this youth, and the talent eligible right now will make games exciting. Hell we are finally putting points on the board! Remember that touchdown drought CWT year 1?

It is going to be tough to wait, but hang in there bulls. I really don't think paying another coach to not coach is in the best interest of athletics. 

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

You're right the sky is not falling but Bulls football still sucks under CWT

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

USF is still fine this season.  We're on pace to achieve our goals (a bowl game).

We absolutely need one game from Maryland and Syracuse.  We didn't get Maryland.  Now we need to beat Cuse.

Memphis is going to be a real challenge and a probable loss.  If we lose to Cuse and are 1-4, then the season is busted.  We wont win 5 of 7 to finish the year.  4 and 7 is still a stretch, but possible.  Tough road ahead, but doable.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,705
  • Days Won:  3

I missed this bit of good news in all the mung on the main board.

This guy is our future and we have an extra year with him now ( the bad news is it is still not this year ) 

Blessed & thankful, I got my transfer year back, unfortunately I have to sit this fall but I'll have three years to play after this year.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

It is tough beating the drum of optimism. The season will have to play out. That game against MD did not go how i thought it would at all and our youth showed. We need the team that went toe to toe with FSU to be back on point for Memphis. I am hoping the bye week gives our guys time to gel and maybe some time to tweak the starting lineup for those that are hungry to make plays on game day.

I know CWT is on the field calling the plays but the input from the OC (who I assume is in the booth and on the headset) is the one feeding him the info. Let's stop with the conspiracy theories. The plays are being called the way they are because we know our passing game is a risk right now with either QB. Oh and the QB debate, they are both on roughly the same playing level with slightly different attributes. The margin is not enough to warrant 50 threads but hey.. it's TBP. 

I think this staff has made the right moves to get the right personnel in here but hey there is no free agency and the NCAA sees fit to take it's own sweet time. We have some real talent developing. Short of tanking the entire season we will see CWT put that personnel to use. 

That said, this youth, and the talent eligible right now will make games exciting. Hell we are finally putting points on the board! Remember that touchdown drought CWT year 1?

It is going to be tough to wait, but hang in there bulls. I really don't think paying another coach to not coach is in the best interest of athletics. 

Taggart is a horrendous play caller. You really have nothing to back up otherwise. I will say his play calling has gotten better this year, but when you're talking going from the bottom to a little better it doesn't add up to much of anything. 

Our offense is WAY too predictable right now. The defense doesn't have to prep for anything other than stopping the run. I'm not saying he needs to air it out because it's painfully obvious Quinton is just not a good passer, but for crying out loud you cannot end a game you lose by 3 possessions with 50 rushes to 22 passes. I would guess that 10-12 of those passes were pass attempts of 7 yards or less too (Swing passes, bubble screens, etc). I don't even think we need to be 50/50 on the rush to pass ratio, but at least make the defense think about the idea that it's possible you could throw the football on any down. We are just playing into exactly what the defense wants us to do and expects us to do over and over..

By the way, Mack touched the ball 12 times on Saturday. That low of a number for our best player is absurd. No one to blame but Taggart for that one too. 

We have plenty of talent on this roster. Take away the FAMU game and we have 2 TDs per game and if it weren't for our defensive INT run back inside the 5 we'd probably be looking at 3 TDs vs FBS opponents. I don't think he needs to be fired right now and can appreciate the optimistic angle on some things, but the bottom line is through the first 3 games of this season he has not made enough improvement period. 

Edited by USFbulls24

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

The sky fell for this team a long time ago.  Absolutely,  There are young, fantastic athletes on this team.  A great credit to Taggart's recruiting ability.  Now the questions are; are the coaches able to develop those athletes into equally good football players?  can the coaches put them into a position to be competitive on the field for 4 quarters?  Except for the Tulsa game, have we seen this team be able to play a full 4 quarters against a decent team since Taggart has been here?  Even last year in the win against UCONN, they came into the game with only one QB on the roster and we were really lucky to hold on. 

The frustrating thing is with the  atheletes on this team now  I don't see an offensive staff putting them in a position to score consistently, let alone win games.  the defense hasn't played very well since halftime of the FSU game. 

Even against teams that we may match up well with in terms of ability or inexperience, based on what we have seen from his game management ability in 2 plus years here, I don't have a lot of confidence in Taggart's ability  to make the adjustments or manage the game in a tight game to win. 

As I look through the schedule and watch some games so far this year, the only winnable games I see left for us are UCONN and UCF.  If it comes down to a tight game in either and it comes down to coaching decisions, I don't see Taggart getting the best of Diaco and as far as game management goes Taggart stands no chance against O'Leary.

I really don't see where another 5 wins are coming from.  Does anyone?

• Upvote 2