• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Build the offense around Bench!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

Flowers can only hit wide open men because the only pass plays called for him are bubble screens and streaks down the field. If they gave him some more intermediate crossing routes, or rollout throws he would probably be a lot better passing. Bench has had 5 years to become a starter here and at penn state, and he hasn't earned anything. I think that should stand for itself.

Go back if you can to the FAMU game and you will see how the O play calling changes substantially with Bench in there. In fact in the drive Bench was thrown into yesterday the play calling changed quite a bit for one drive. As soon as QF was put back in it was more of the same. Its not bc the plays aren't in the playbook its because those are the plays QF is able to run which are limited unfortunately...

Sounds like flowers handicaps the team.

Bad coach is bad.

To be honest I can see why QF got the nod though...he is dynamic in the back field and can extend plays in ways that SB can't. Unfortunately he just not at the point as a passer we need him at to win games.  

We are not dominate enough up front to run down your throat regardless of how the other team lines up and as we have seen so far the D, which could be much improved, will still need help from the O.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  39
  • Days Won:  0

If we had an O-line that could pass block and receivers that could get open, then I think Bench would be the starting qb. When he has protection he has proven to be an accurate passer. He is a much, much better drop back passer than Flowers. He also is able to run. Not like Flowers, but good enough. Unfortunately, it looks like the King of sand-lot football will be our qb for the rest of the year.

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

Again Taggart is to blame for this teams trouble. A good coach would push decision making down and be a motivator and recruiter primarily. David Reaves could grow into aseviceable playcaller buti feel time is running out.

• Topic Count:  97
  • Content Count:  1,180
  • Days Won:  2

Flowers can only hit wide open men because the only pass plays called for him are bubble screens and streaks down the field. If they gave him some more intermediate crossing routes, or rollout throws he would probably be a lot better passing. Bench has had 5 years to become a starter here and at penn state, and he hasn't earned anything. I think that should stand for itself.

Go back if you can to the FAMU game and you will see how the O play calling changes substantially with Bench in there. In fact in the drive Bench was thrown into yesterday the play calling changed quite a bit for one drive. As soon as QF was put back in it was more of the same. Its not bc the plays aren't in the playbook its because those are the plays QF is able to run which are limited unfortunately...

Bad coach is bad.

To be honest I can see why QF got the nod though...he is dynamic in the back field and can extend plays in ways that SB can't. Unfortunately he just not at the point as a passer we need him at to win games. I understand what you are saying, but it's not flowers fault that the coaches limit the playbook for him, we have no clue if he can hit those passes if he never has a chance to throw them.

We are not dominate enough up front to run down your throat regardless of how the other team lines up and as we have seen so far the D, which could be much improved, will still need help from the O.

I understand what you are saying, but it's not his fault that the coaches won't call those passing plays for him, we have no clue if he can hit those passes if he never has a chance to throw them.

Edited by Bulls_Fan09

Bad coach is bad.

To be honest I can see why QF got the nod though...he is dynamic in the back field and can extend plays in ways that SB can't. Unfortunately he just not at the point as a passer we need him at to win games. I understand what you are saying, but it's not flowers fault that the coaches limit the playbook for him, we have no clue if he can hit those passes if he never has a chance to throw them.

I understand what you are saying, but it's not his fault that the coaches won't call those passing plays for him, we have no clue if he can hit those passes if he never has a chance to throw them.

There have been some calls but they are far and few between. Actually Flowers had one or two nice intermediate rope throws yesterday which had a little zip on them but he is just not consistent enough to make that part of his bread and butter yet, which I think we have seen even in game.

I would say even his read option decisions have been questionable through out the game, so I really do think he just isn't there...YET. I am far from given up on QF and think he might develop into a dynamic run first QB with time.

Legit question, do you think he has the stuff to win now, even if the coaches called more pass plays? I know during the FAMU game I wanted to leave QF in there a little longer to let him get in game pass reps but that did not happen. Against FSU I was hoping the run heavy O was in order to setup the pass plays in the second half and that never materialized. 

And as I posted before the MD game, even though we will not be playing better Ds than FSU per say, now that there is film on QF everyone will be ready for him and shut us down except for a couple big broken coverages...unfortunately against a bad MD team we were unable to captilize on the these moments and QF doesn't have the accuracy to give you many of these opportunties with his arm...YET. 

I hope the receivers are forced to catch ump-teen thousands balls until they are sore during the bye week. No rest for the wicked (wickedly bad)! 

Edited by Bull-Hornz

Bad coach is bad.

There have been some calls but they are far and few between. Actually Flowers had one or two nice intermediate rope throws yesterday which had a little zip on them but he is just not consistent enough to make that part of his bread and butter yet, which I think we have seen even in game.

I would say even his read option decisions have been questionable through out the game, so I really do think he just isn't there...YET. I am far from given up on QF and think he might develop into a dynamic run first QB with time.

Legit question, do you think he has the stuff to win now, even if the coaches called more pass plays? I know during the FAMU game I wanted to leave QF in there a little longer to let him get in game pass reps but that did not happen. Against FSU I was hoping the run heavy O was in order to setup the pass plays in the second half and that never materialized. 

And as I posted before the MD game, even though we will not be playing better Ds than FSU per say, now that there is film on QF everyone will be ready for him and shut us down except for a couple big broken coverages...unfortunately against a bad MD team we were unable to captilize on the these moments and QF doesn't have the accuracy to give you many of these opportunties with his arm...YET. 

I hope the receivers are forced to catch ump-teen thousands balls until they are sore during the bye week. No rest for the wicked (wickedly bad)!

I honestly do believe that quinton flowers has what it takes to win right now. He has shown that he can throw some accurate balls, like that drop by Adams and the 3 long touchdown passes so far to Johnson, but I feel like the coaches aren't confident in him and that makes him less confident as well. He holds back a lot and can hesitate on the long ball, but if the coaches told him just to go out there and not hold back in the passing game, I think he would make more big plays downfield.

• Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,262
  • Days Won:  1

I just don't see taggart throwing the ball to the receivers with flowers as he is way too inconsistent. The d will take the run away and force flowers to be a passing qb which he is clearly not which is why we should go to a 2 qb system and have flowers line up as a wr or rb and let bench throw to make the d respect the pass and to open up the run game once the d is forced to back off the line and respect the pass

Bad coach is bad.

I honestly do believe that quinton flowers has what it takes to win right now. He has shown that he can throw some accurate balls, like that drop by Adams and the 3 long touchdown passes so far to Johnson, but I feel like the coaches aren't confident in him and that makes him less confident as well. He holds back a lot and can hesitate on the long ball, but if the coaches told him just to go out there and not hold back in the passing game, I think he would make more big plays downfield.

Well QF will have a chance to make his case during the bye week, hopefully he works hard and adds some plays to his repertoire ...if we see him start against Memphis it might be his final shot to make his statement as the starter. 

My feeling is QF has a strong arm (could be stronger than SB by the way), has some long ball touch, but that's about it at the moment. 

Bad coach is bad.

Well QF will have a chance to make his case during the bye week, hopefully he works hard and adds some plays to his repertoire ...if we see him start against Memphis it might be his final shot to make his statement as the starter. 

My feeling is QF has a strong arm (could be stronger than SB by the way), has some long ball touch, but that's about it at the moment.

I just don't want to see what happened last year happen again with the quarterback situation.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

QF shows better field awareness IMO. Give him the middle like in spring, and his passing confidence should improve.