• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

This guy's supposed know USF FB

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Tommy Rees was NDs QB

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,721
  • Days Won:  109

Stretches:

• "To recap: USF is running a hurry-up spread offense coached by a man who has literally never run a hurry-up spread offense in his life,"  ... Taggart ran a spread in high school (which I say because of the word 'literally'... but by adding 'hurry-up' you are correct.  However, there are less than a dozen college coaches who have run a hurry-up, spread offense.  So while this may be "technically" true -- it's a bit of a stretch because Taggart is familiar with spread offenses.
  • "Flowers is remarkably erratic as a passer beyond ten yards or so, which is not a great thing to be as a quarterback." ... we don't really have enough evidence to support this.  QF only had one bad pass beyond ten yards, and that was because he was hit during the release and could not step into the throw.  He had only one other "bad" pass when he through it at the feet of a WR on the sidelines.  To be honest, the FAMU game did not tell us how good Flowers is at throwing the ball, so how do we know he is "remarkably erratic."
  • "...think USF's strategy with BJ Daniels in 2009, except without the good players."  ... Other than QB, the 2015 offense is better than the 2009 offense.
  • "I don't expect the defense to be world beaters this season, but a significant improvement from 2014 seems reasonable." ... This defense may be as talented as the 2009 team, and they are just really young.  There will be some mistakes (getting out of position or being a little too aggressive) however, with the right blitz package getting pressure on Golson will not be a problem against a large-but-young OL for Florida State
  • "USF has the athletes to stand toe-to-toe with most teams on the their schedule; Florida State is not one of those teams." ... Actually, FSU is one of those teams.  I think the defensive talent - especially at DB - is among the best USF has ever had. (I think we'll see three or four of the DBs in the NFL eventually).

I really think this game shapes up a heck of a lot like 2009... a low-scoring, defensive battle... because our defense can (almost) stand toe-to-toe with FSU... but our offense will not be able to move the ball well.

• Taggart coached the spread in high school?  I did not recall him ever coaching in high school.

• "Remarkably erratic" might be a stretch, I'll agree with that this is an exaggeration on Ryan's part, though it could still prove to be true.

• "Other than QB, the 2015 offense is better than the 2009 offense" - Seriously?  The team was 118th in offense last year.  First, what evidence have you seen to even state that the 2015 offense is in the same stratosphere as the 2009 offense?  This is a HUGE exaggeration/extrapolation on your part.  Secondly, saying the offense is better except for the QB is like saying my car is faster than yours except for the engine.
  • Again, while I really like where out defense seems to be headed, I think it is a huge stretch to believe it can stop FSU as you seem to suggest.  I don't see this being a Top 20 defense this year, or even reasonably close.  Ryan's assessment is far more reasonable.
  • You really have the green and gold glasses on thinking we can go toe to toe with FSU athletically.  Even you only point to our offense, not defense or special teams.  You do realize that both sides of the ball will have to play on Saturday?

Did I say "coached?"  No, I saw he RAN the offense.  Ryan said that CWT had "literally" no experience with a spread offense. That is literally not true.

The 2009 offense was the BJ Daniels show... where he accounted for almost 60% of the yardage ... because we had no running game (Mike Ford and Mo Plancher...).  I would say the 2015 offense will be more balanced because Flowers is NOT as good as Daniels... but the 2015 offense, while younger, will out perform the 2009 version.  Only time will tell on that.

USF will have a Top 20 defense this year.  The 4-2-5 system will be outstanding against almost all offenses we face... and I think it holds up well against Jimbo Fisher's system.

And finally, yes -- the USF defense can go toe-to-toe with FSU.  (Not on offense, I will concede)... Which is why I don't think FSU will run away with the game.

No one has questioned this yet?  So I'll do it.  If there was a line on this in Vegas I'd take the over (greater than 20).  I'm guessing we won't be in the Top 30 after tomorrow.    

So, it isn't the end of the season but here is the standing after week 2.  We are at #65.  http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/1042/p2

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Stretches:

• "To recap: USF is running a hurry-up spread offense coached by a man who has literally never run a hurry-up spread offense in his life,"  ... Taggart ran a spread in high school (which I say because of the word 'literally'... but by adding 'hurry-up' you are correct.  However, there are less than a dozen college coaches who have run a hurry-up, spread offense.  So while this may be "technically" true -- it's a bit of a stretch because Taggart is familiar with spread offenses.
  • "Flowers is remarkably erratic as a passer beyond ten yards or so, which is not a great thing to be as a quarterback." ... we don't really have enough evidence to support this.  QF only had one bad pass beyond ten yards, and that was because he was hit during the release and could not step into the throw.  He had only one other "bad" pass when he through it at the feet of a WR on the sidelines.  To be honest, the FAMU game did not tell us how good Flowers is at throwing the ball, so how do we know he is "remarkably erratic."
  • "...think USF's strategy with BJ Daniels in 2009, except without the good players."  ... Other than QB, the 2015 offense is better than the 2009 offense.
  • "I don't expect the defense to be world beaters this season, but a significant improvement from 2014 seems reasonable." ... This defense may be as talented as the 2009 team, and they are just really young.  There will be some mistakes (getting out of position or being a little too aggressive) however, with the right blitz package getting pressure on Golson will not be a problem against a large-but-young OL for Florida State
  • "USF has the athletes to stand toe-to-toe with most teams on the their schedule; Florida State is not one of those teams." ... Actually, FSU is one of those teams.  I think the defensive talent - especially at DB - is among the best USF has ever had. (I think we'll see three or four of the DBs in the NFL eventually).

I really think this game shapes up a heck of a lot like 2009... a low-scoring, defensive battle... because our defense can (almost) stand toe-to-toe with FSU... but our offense will not be able to move the ball well.

• Taggart coached the spread in high school?  I did not recall him ever coaching in high school.

• "Remarkably erratic" might be a stretch, I'll agree with that this is an exaggeration on Ryan's part, though it could still prove to be true.

• "Other than QB, the 2015 offense is better than the 2009 offense" - Seriously?  The team was 118th in offense last year.  First, what evidence have you seen to even state that the 2015 offense is in the same stratosphere as the 2009 offense?  This is a HUGE exaggeration/extrapolation on your part.  Secondly, saying the offense is better except for the QB is like saying my car is faster than yours except for the engine.
  • Again, while I really like where out defense seems to be headed, I think it is a huge stretch to believe it can stop FSU as you seem to suggest.  I don't see this being a Top 20 defense this year, or even reasonably close.  Ryan's assessment is far more reasonable.
  • You really have the green and gold glasses on thinking we can go toe to toe with FSU athletically.  Even you only point to our offense, not defense or special teams.  You do realize that both sides of the ball will have to play on Saturday?

Did I say "coached?"  No, I saw he RAN the offense.  Ryan said that CWT had "literally" no experience with a spread offense. That is literally not true.

The 2009 offense was the BJ Daniels show... where he accounted for almost 60% of the yardage ... because we had no running game (Mike Ford and Mo Plancher...).  I would say the 2015 offense will be more balanced because Flowers is NOT as good as Daniels... but the 2015 offense, while younger, will out perform the 2009 version.  Only time will tell on that.

USF will have a Top 20 defense this year.  The 4-2-5 system will be outstanding against almost all offenses we face... and I think it holds up well against Jimbo Fisher's system.

And finally, yes -- the USF defense can go toe-to-toe with FSU.  (Not on offense, I will concede)... Which is why I don't think FSU will run away with the game.

No one has questioned this yet?  So I'll do it.  If there was a line on this in Vegas I'd take the over (greater than 20).  I'm guessing we won't be in the Top 30 after tomorrow.    

So, it isn't the end of the season but here is the standing after week 2.  We are at #65.  http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/1042/p2

For what ever reason that link is for the full 2013 season.

Here are the current standings for total defense after week 2:

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/22

USF is number 45

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

The most objective, unbiased professionals that I trust when it comes to these things are the people in charge of setting the lines in Vegas. They do the most homework out of anyone. I don't think we lose by 28pts, but that is the line. I also trust the recruiting rankings more so than people posting on message boards. FSU has recruited Top 10 classes for the past five years. Both teams are inexperienced and unproven. I'd take the unproven, inexperienced talent that FSU has over ours though (especially starting QB), based on recruiting rankings. That said, I predicted FSU wins 34-20 in the prediction thread.

vegas sets lines based on how they think the public will bet.

has nothing to do with the odds makers expectations.

FSU had multiple top ten recruiting classes and an NFL QB on their side last time we played there. oh and our starting QB had even less experience than the one we have now.

So the majority of college football bettors think that FSU is 28 points better than us and not "oddsmakers".  I feel a whole lot better about tomorrows game.  If we can influence 4 million bettors to bet USF we can get the point spread down to 14.  That should make the game closer.

I'm not sure you understand how it works. oddsmakers set the line to try and get equal betting on both sides. it's their impression of how the public will bet.

it has nothing to do with the quality of teams and the line has nothing to do with the outcome so it really doesn't matter what the public thinks as far as the outcome of the game.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Methinks Bourbon Bull was displaying a very subtle sarcasm in the post about the point spread ... 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,721
  • Days Won:  109

Stretches:

For what ever reason that link is for the full 2013 season.

Here are the current standings for total defense after week 2:

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/22

USF is number 45

Never trust google.  Thought I had typed in 2015.  Sorry.  Point is the same. We're not top 20 any longer.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

When we say the USF defense can go "toe to toe" with FSU, does that include Dalvin Cook?

It means that if our defense played their defense, they'd have a hard time scoring.

Edited by JTrue