• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Taggart bans players from Ybor; Harlan then retracts on CWT's behalf

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Somehow I get the feeling there is going to be another statement issued on this whole thing

Judy: "To clarify the conflicting statements between our football coach and our athletic director, let me just say as the president of USF, I'm in charge of ALL the students. Ybor is a wonderful culturally-rich jewel for our city...at least until 11PM when it becomes the cesspool of human depravity. To that end, none of our students at USF will be allowed there after that time. Thank you."

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

Somehow I get the feeling there is going to be another statement issued on this whole thing

I hope the geniuses running USF Football can at least hold out until after Elkino Watson's funeral.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

Knight: "We all know how dangerous of a place Ybor can be sometimes, are you going to make that off limits to your guys?"

Taggart:  Yes, we're going to make it off limits to our guys.

What else would you expect?  Everyone knows its dangerous. 

He followed u saying it's "off limits right now", when Joey Johnston pushed further.

Great that the term "banned" seems manufactured and bait fully taken by Harlan.

Harlan should have pushed further before making his remarks.

Yup, and it'd be cool if someone cited this for Gonzmart, as I suspect he would feel like Knight started this line of talk...not Taggart.

I agree with earlier posts:  Taggart's first reaction was likely from the gut, so soon after a murder just ocured there.."no, it's off limits".

Good night all.  Hopefully this fades soon, our players know to avoid ANY high risk area in the late hours and the Watson family healing begins (just another plea for us all to donate...I did, and I'm trying to reach out to others, too).

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  151
  • Days Won:  0

If Harlan thinks it is so safe in Ybor, I would like to see him walk the streets of Ybor, like 7th Ave, from about midnight to 3 AM, on a Saturday night. Especially on a home game night when there are a lot of opposing fans in town, and emotions are running high, and maybe visit the Orpheum.

Gonzmart won't do it, I'll bet. His restaurant closes by midnight and I'll bet he is no where near Ybor at midnight, let alone at 1 or 2 or 3 AM.

My solution or compromise is to ban the players from Ybor just on home game nights, when emotions are running high so no one gets hurt.

And if Gonzmart is so high on Ybor, and Watson was killed there, then Gonzmart should pay for Watson's funeral expenses, since Watson was killed in Gonzmart's safe city. He did convince Harlan to overturn CWT's decision, so it must be safe, right?

Oh, Harlan did not do what he did on CWT behalf, he did it because of pressure from a big donor and just overrode CWT. Harlan was doing great up until now.

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,048
  • Days Won:  11

Knight: "We all know how dangerous of a place Ybor can be sometimes, are you going to make that off limits to your guys?"

Taggart:  Yes, we're going to make it off limits to our guys.

What else would you expect?  Everyone knows its dangerous. 

He followed u saying it's "off limits right now", when Joey Johnston pushed further.

Great that the term "banned" seems manufactured and bait fully taken by Harlan.

Harlan should have pushed further before making his remarks.

sounds like Joey hooked a few fish

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

......the geniuses running USF Football can at least hold out until after Elkino Watson's funeral.

I think you meant "...geniuses ruining USF Football"

Edited by CyberBull

It wasn't very smart for Taggart to say that.

But... Taggart is 110% right. Ybor is a disgrace after dark. I don't think we'll see Harlan and his family walking by the Orpheum at 10pm.

Let's see Gonzmart go to Ybor anytime after midnight if he thinks it is so safe.  and walk to one of the parking lots off of 7th or 8th.  

Ybor is a great place to go around 12pm-9pm but if you go after midnight it is dangerous.  

In fairness, Taggart didn't say "No Ybor after midnight".  He said no Ybor. Period.  Full Stop.  One could certainly infer that Taggart wasn't saying they can't go there for lunch with friends.  Taggart & the players knew what he meant.  The reaction was quick & over done.

Where did you get that from? 

Did you listen to the press conference?  It didn't seem quick or overdone...he didn't even bring up the topic of Kino or Ybor.  He responded like any sane, rational person in charge of young people would when asked if it was off limits - a murder had just been committed.  I think it's safe to say it's now off limits for many of us.  Why wouldn't we hold the kids in our care to the same standard?

Did he make a statement anywhere else?  Did Taggart actually use the word "banned" anywhere?  Harlan sure did, and Joey sure did.

I didn't listen to the CWT press conference.  I read the Tweet was Knight and Harlan's statement, both of which used the word ban.

The reaction I was speaking to was Knight's tweet, Gonzmart's apparent contact with Harlan and Harlan's retracting tweet.

If you're reading posts, you'll see that I completely understand Taggart's comments, and believe his first reaction was to protect his players.  Not sure if you're spinning this on me, or I'm just tired from reading all of these.

Not spinning you. 

You said Taggart's reaction was quick and overdone.  I don't believe it was.  If you listen to the conference, you hear a tired sounding, stressed sounding, dejected man.   He also didn't use the word ban.  I'm trying to figure out if there is something else somewhere that he said about Ybor.  It seems the story sort of grew from as weak as "off limits" and "off limits for now" to banned!

I think if there is nothing other than that press conference, then Harlan & Gonzmart do owe Taggart and the Watson family a public apology.  Well they definitely owe the Watson family a deeply sincere apology for their insensitivity and selfishness.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Again, if CWT wasn't working to get us out of the cellar, Gonzmart would have kept his trap shut.

Jimbo Fisher banned his players from all Tallahassee bars and nary a peep was heard.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

Not only is this whole "is Ybor off limits or isn't it?" and the donor behind this look bad enough,

But this event was promoted as a USF after party...??? And a USF player gets murdered, stabbed to death?

What a complete black eye to the city of Tampa, Ybor and most unfortunately our university.

It's disgraceful and disgusting. USF should cut all ties with Ybor after this. A player got murdered there so Ybor can **** off. All of the types who go out and cause trouble in Ybor late at night I doubt give a **** about USF, and USF should have no association with these types.

We should not be being bought out by Ybor business owners to be a slanted PR mouth peice for that area crime ridden area. I'm disgusted with USF at the moment.

We should not let any Ybor business use our name to promote themeselves or their events for any price until they clean that area up.

If you support USF, then great, if your support is dependent on USF giving lip service to your business, and promoting areas as safe for students that in fact are not safe, then keep your money.

Who the hell is going to want to attend USF, and what parents are going to want their kids to attend school here or play sports here knowing their kids may be hanging out in these high crime areas late at night if they attend USF? No sane parent.

Edited by Gismo

29-elg.png

USF has already come out and stated there was no affiliation with the after game party...although they used USF's name in promoting it.