• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Tom Jones Article

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Just mark my words (ahem), Tom's tune will change from "it's way too early" to "the time is NOW" for a new coach if the team isn't notably more solid this year. I'm ready to be patient as he recommended, but it's easy to say all that before the first ball is snapped.

Probably true that most will look at the W/L column and judge whether or not CWT should stay. 

I think what will be truly sticky situation is if he goes 5-7. If he does that I think Harlan will have a hard time making the decision to fire him especially if the team shows fight and loses some close games

Just my opinion, but I think if it's like that, no way CWT gets let go.

• Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

Just mark my words (ahem), Tom's tune will change from "it's way too early" to "the time is NOW" for a new coach if the team isn't notably more solid this year. I'm ready to be patient as he recommended, but it's easy to say all that before the first ball is snapped.

Probably true that most will look at the W/L column and judge whether or not CWT should stay. 

I think what will be truly sticky situation is if he goes 5-7. If he does that I think Harlan will have a hard time making the decision to fire him especially if the team shows fight and loses some close games

I tend to agree with you...I spawned off a poll based on our conversation  :guinness:

Should keep us busy until Sat. lol.

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  715
  • Days Won:  1

If he gets 5-7 this year, he gets one more. If next year he gets 5-7 or less......wave good-bye.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Just for ha - ha's I went to Yahoo Sports recruiting ratings.  ESPN didn't allow me to go past top #25.

So, here is their rating (Average Stars for the following years)

2007 (CJL) 2.48

2008 (CJL) 2.46

2009 (CJL) 3.00

2010 (CJL/CSH) 2.85

2011 (CSH) 2.86

2012 (CSH) 3.00

2013 (CSH/Tag) 2.83

2014 (Tag) 2.89

2015 (Tag) 2.60

So I guess what I'm asking is how the F did Holtz kill the program with his "horrible" recruiting?  So now we can talk about coaching styles, philosophy, etc.  But can we PLEASE stop about the recruiting?

Forgot the link http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/teamrank/2015/all/all

The team was visibly less fast and less athletic the last couple years than previously. That is not a coaching issue.  

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  958
  • Days Won:  0

He makes some good points, but if 3 seasons is enough to declare Holtz' time as "a shambles" (and I don't disagree), then 3 seasons ought to be enough to declare CWT's direction as pass/fail.

I'm still rooting heavily for Willie, I really like the guy and I like what he's doing to turn the players into accountable men on & off the field. Doesn't hurt he's a very solid recruiter too.

Go Bulls!

I sent him an email pointing this out and the fact that Holtz had 2 years of recruits, not 3.

Please elaborate.  They both took over just before signing day, does that count as year 1 or 0?

Willie was hired Dec 8th.  Signing day was Feb 7th.    

Skip was hired Jan 14th.  Signing Day was Feb 3rd.

Assume a week to get settled in and Skip had 2 weeks.  Willie had 7 - 8.

That can't be right. Everyone knows Holtz was on a golf trip from mid-January until October. 

For all the good he did he just as well have been golfing... just saying

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

I'd give my left nut to be decent.

No offense, but I don't think there's a market for that trade.

He makes some good points, but if 3 seasons is enough to declare Holtz' time as "a shambles" (and I don't disagree), then 3 seasons ought to be enough to declare CWT's direction as pass/fail.

I'm still rooting heavily for Willie, I really like the guy and I like what he's doing to turn the players into accountable men on & off the field. Doesn't hurt he's a very solid recruiter too.

Go Bulls!

Leavitt left hold a LOT more talent & heart than Holtz left Taggart.

I tend to agree with you...I spawned off a poll based on our conversation  :guinness:

Agree, especially with some potential strong contributor transfers coming in for 2016.  And frankly, I'd support him coming back under those conditions.

If we're 5-7 or worse, and merely squeaked by the other dregs, I'd think:  Man, with someone who can coach, we can REALLY get some production out of this talent.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,724
  • Days Won:  109

Agree, especially with some potential strong contributor transfers coming in for 2016.  And frankly, I'd support him coming back under those conditions.

If we're 5-7 or worse, and merely squeaked by the other dregs, I'd think:  Man, with someone who can coach, we can REALLY get some production out of this talent.

According to Rivals/yahoo sports he has no more talent to work with than any of our previous coaches.  The numbers don't back that up.  But I do think the incoming transfers gets him one more year unless we win 4 or less games.

According to Rivals/yahoo sports he has no more talent to work with than any of our previous coaches.  The numbers don't back that up.  But I do think the incoming transfers gets him one more year unless we win 4 or less games.

It's an old debate, clearly, but I think the 4 or 5 stars are easy to recognize.  But it's the 2 & 3 stars that are just crap shoots.  There are some very good teams with mediocre recruiting rankings who outperform "better" classes.  Some could be better developing & coaching, and some could be that the ratings for thousands of kids a year often undervalue talent.