• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

O'Leary stepping down at end of season...

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,511
  • Days Won:  422

To become permanent A.D. of the school.

Link?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,677
  • Days Won:  108

GOL walks in the office at 5:00 AM each morning. Not many AD's do that.

It  is a full time job, but I doubt that he will need to dedicate 40 hours per week to an administrative job. That's just my opinion.

I don't have our ADs daily schedule in front of me, but methinks it involves closer to 70 hours a week than 40 most of the year.  Along with whatever administrative stuff that goes on he is at many, many athletic events - not just the revenue sports.  We went to one tennis match last year and he was there.  See him at many of the MBB and WBB games - many times with his family.  Pretty sure he makes most of the away football games.  He was going from SMU to one of the other sports in Oklahoma or somewhere.  Can't remember which sport that was but it may have involved some post season stuff.  And then there is the all the fund raising activities.  Saw him at one Saturday evening.  So I'm sure any AD at this level is putting in those hours.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  3,462
  • Days Won:  6

GOL walks in the office at 5:00 AM each morning. Not many AD's do that.

It  is a full time job, but I doubt that he will need to dedicate 40 hours per week to an administrative job. That's just my opinion.

I don't have our ADs daily schedule in front of me, but methinks it involves closer to 70 hours a week than 40 most of the year.  Along with whatever administrative stuff that goes on he is at many, many athletic events - not just the revenue sports.  We went to one tennis match last year and he was there.  See him at many of the MBB and WBB games - many times with his family.  Pretty sure he makes most of the away football games.  He was going from SMU to one of the other sports in Oklahoma or somewhere.  Can't remember which sport that was but it may have involved some post season stuff.  And then there is the all the fund raising activities.  Saw him at one Saturday evening.  So I'm sure any AD at this level is putting in those hours.

You are probably correct.

As for the link, http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/aac/2015/09/01/george-oleary-permanent-athletic-director-central-florida-step-down-coach/71507104/

Great sources, "one person". Isn't modern day journalism wonderful?

Every year someone publishes this it seems. One year soon, they will actually be correct, the odds aren't that **** tough.

As for the link, http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/aac/2015/09/01/george-oleary-permanent-athletic-director-central-florida-step-down-coach/71507104/

Great sources, "one person". Isn't modern day journalism wonderful?

Every year someone publishes this it seems. One year soon, they will actually be correct, the odds aren't that **** tough.

That link says GOL supposedly WANTS to step down as coach and stay on as AD ... and it sounds like everyone over there doesn't have a warm and fuzzy about it.

Threads like this drive me freaking crazy ... which admittedly, isn't a long drive.

• Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  3,462
  • Days Won:  6

The O Sentinel just published a much better article. DW is click hunting....and of course, at his age, this will happen like clock work every year, and one year someone will claim to have  "Known it was going to happen". Give me  a break.

A worthless, almost news, no not really a story, story.

In other words:  BREAKING NEWS: 69 YEAR OLD MAY OR MAY NOT CONTEMPLATE RETIREMENT SOON

Thanks, that was really rocket science deep. He has said 1000 times, he considers retiring, each year right after the season. Every single year, so why this is "news" is just dumb. Wolken is obviously really wired in to the program. I'll bet 500.00 he has not ever visited UCF, nor had a one one one with GOL.

Edited by footnfan1
  • Upvote 1

The O Sentinel just published a much better article. DW is click hunting....and of course, at his age, this will happen like clock work every year, and one year someone will claim to have  "Known it was going to happen". Give me  a break.

A worthless, almost news, no not really a story, story.

In other words:  BREAKING NEWS: 69 YEAR OLD MAY OR MAY NOT CONTEMPLATE RETIREMENT SOON

Thanks, that was really rocket science deep. He has said 1000 times, he considers retiring, each year right after the season. Every single year, so why this is "news" is just dumb. Wolken is obviously really wired in to the program. I'll bet 500.00 he has not ever visited UCF, nor had a one one one with GOL.

I've got no problem with that story for what it is .... gossip mongering. My "problem" is the posting of gossip/rumors as fact (I'm pretty sure innocently done), with no source linked or even cited, and we have a page full of responses that don't even bother to question it. It's Message Boardery at its' worst ..... We are better than this, **** it!

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  1,828
  • Days Won:  12

Why is this a two page thread already?  Why do promote the posting of such things by issuing pages of responses?  

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,037
  • Days Won:  11

Why is this a two page thread already?  Why do promote the posting of such things by issuing pages of responses?

because the season still hasn't started

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  94
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

Of course he wants to be AD. That way he can put a few years in and retire with a big ole' pension, which football coaches only get if they are fired early (see: all USF football coaches ever). I just hope we have already contacted Mike Bellotti to plan ahead for the not-unlikely scenario in which we see wins outnumbered by losses again this season...