• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Joey Knight strikes again...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  480
  • Days Won:  0

Things will turn around, makes it sweeter when they do.  Stay positive, I see a better season for USF. 

As far as the stadium size compared to ST sales go, I can be swayed to think that smaller venues provide better opportunities for more STs, but a convincing argument in favor of that hasn't been presented yet.  There aren't many stadiums where you can buy nosebleeds and work your way down.  We did it once at ECU when the game should have been a rainout, but that's it.  That is a problem unique to USF and few others primarily due to massive size of the stadium relative to actual fan turnout. 

As far as actual numbers vs college released numbers, once again USF had the negative benefit of a third party with access to that information expose them. That's a detraction to having a leased stadium and not your own, I guess.  I do find it curious that the school couldn't work out a tight enough relationship with TSA to keep that info on the down low, but maybe that's an unrealistic position.  There's no way to find true butt in seat data for schools that have their own stadium like ECU and UCF, I can say in the games I have attended between the two schools that the announced attendance did appear rather accurate, to where the 'fudging' was probably within 1-5% of actual attendance.  I can say though that according to the previously mentioned article, USF has been overestimating their attendance at an increasing rate since they fell on hard times: In 2013, their actual attendance was only 58% of reported attendance...that is a huge difference.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  14

Things will turn around, makes it sweeter when they do.  Stay positive, I see a better season for USF. 

As far as the stadium size compared to ST sales go, I can be swayed to think that smaller venues provide better opportunities for more STs, but a convincing argument in favor of that hasn't been presented yet.  There aren't many stadiums where you can buy nosebleeds and work your way down.  We did it once at ECU when the game should have been a rainout, but that's it.  That is a problem unique to USF and few others primarily due to massive size of the stadium relative to actual fan turnout. 

As far as actual numbers vs college released numbers, once again USF had the negative benefit of a third party with access to that information expose them. That's a detraction to having a leased stadium and not your own, I guess.  I do find it curious that the school couldn't work out a tight enough relationship with TSA to keep that info on the down low, but maybe that's an unrealistic position.  There's no way to find true butt in seat data for schools that have their own stadium like ECU and UCF, I can say in the games I have attended between the two schools that the announced attendance did appear rather accurate, to where the 'fudging' was probably within 1-5% of actual attendance.  I can say though that according to the previously mentioned article, USF has been overestimating their attendance at an increasing rate since they fell on hard times: In 2013, their actual attendance was only 58% of reported attendance...that is a huge difference.

Well, we have "shut down" the upper bowl (300 section), so tickets aren't even for sale up there.  In a way, we've cut back our stadium to a similar size to some of the smaller venues.

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,619
  • Days Won:  51

Well, we have "shut down" the upper bowl (300 section), so tickets aren't even for sale up there.  In a way, we've cut back our stadium to a similar size to some of the smaller venues.

I told him we already got one...

http://youtu.be/1bKooUgk6N8

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

To ECUshoein:

For some reason it won't let me quote, but I am specifically replying to a statement you made in one of your posts that UCF's attendance is better than USF's.

You do realize that other than the past 2-3 years, USF's attendance was SIGNIFICANTLY higher than UCF's, every single year, don't you.  We had 3 or 4 years where we averaged over 50K for the year, which is significantly larger than UCF's stadium holds.  The entire decade we were in the Big East, we had much higher crowds than UCF had.  This is a fact, you can look it up.

Now if you're just going off the past couple years that UCF went to a BCS bowl and USF was winning 2 games...then yes, you would be correct. 

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

Man! It sucks to be on the bottom looking up.

This entire thread is 100% the fault of USF, PERIOD. We don't need to blame some writer or another teams troll for this. Unless somebody is sitting on a pot of gold, ticket sales are one of the most important ways of ending this.

Those of us that buy tickets and suffer thru the embarrassment of USF football know what has happened. And while some bash nearly every aspect of the program on a regular basis, we still fork out that money in hopes of being relevant someday.

The ONLY reason for not buying, or giving up, season tickets is some physical or financial problem.

My 2¢.

Agreed.  Same goes for complaining about the conference or the competition we schedule when we are sitting at the very bottom of the conference we are currently in.  Once we start winning games again, we can complain about lack of attendance, lack of sales, low SOS games, etc.  But until then, we need to show that we can beat a crappy team by more than a touchdown now and then.  How about winning back to back home games?  I'm not giving up.

babysteps_book_cover.jpg

WE have one job - SUPPORT.

WE have no control over any of the rest of it EXCEPT when the powers look at the SUPPORT of the fan base. I think that matters.

Don't get me wrong, I have almost no trust in CWT as a head coach. But I have my season tickets, my orders are in for away game tickets, and IF by some miracle we make a bowl game I'll be there also.

GO BULLS!

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  738
  • Days Won:  1

Joey Knight is there to report, not to blow smoke up our ***

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

I agree.  I just don't understand why JK reports the lower figures than GA did.  GA reported season tickets distributed.  Every. Single. Year.  A figure that was always in the 20-25K range.  JK is using a different methodology for whatever reason...one that looks much worse for USF.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Win. Boom. Season ticket sales go up.

Lose. Boom. Season ticket sales go down.

Not rocket science.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Joey Knight is there to report, not to blow smoke up our ***

But I paid extra for that

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,736
  • Days Won:  425

I'm not going to make excuses, just making an observation based on quality of opponents and the relation to attendance.  They played Tulsa, Tulane, SMU, and BCC for crying out loud.  Quick math shows that if you take out the SMU game, which was their lowest draw at ~31k that their avg attendance for the year was a shade under 40K.  That's not bad for that kind of competition coming through their stadium, its only a few thousand below capacity.  Close your eyes and think about the type of team you would expect to be playing that group of teams and then picture their crowd size...does it scream ~40k to you? Not me...

And if you take out their highest draw, a school a half hour away, that draws people just for their halftime show, what does that do to their avg attendance?

I don't know how I feel about your 'selling out a game' question, I agree in theory that they should have been able to do it at least once-but against whom? BCC was their biggest draw, yet were ~800 off the pace, once again, not bad really considering.

Considering, like mentioned above, it was a school a half hour away with a band that puts butts in seats, their first home game following that awesome year, where I guess they had some sort of Fiesta Bowl trophy presentation, a sellout should have been a slam dunk for that game .... and they never came close again   

To the point of links to USF attendance numbers and whatnot, I am not certain of guidelines and such for this forum and material...but I came across one just by googling 'USF football attendance'.  It was the second link. I wasn't looking for it, so they are easy to find.  It did have a nice chart laying out various attendance figures, which was useful for my initial ECU USF UCF comparison.  And, to the guy that dismissed my comment by saying something to the effect of 'all schools inflate their numbers, so it doesn't mean anything': In my post I acknowledged that already; the degree of detail to which the article suggested that USF altered numbers was significant enough to merit media attention, and rightfully so, there was some damming stuff on there.  It was meaningful.  But, I also said that will change with winning, so there is no need to go sour grapes on something you don't like to hear.

No offense, ECU, but I had to laugh when the link that I think you looked at came up, http://www.voodoofive.com/2014/1/14/5306018/2013-was-the-worst-attended-season-in-the-bcs-era-for-usf-football . That wasn't driven by some national media attention.  That site is run by an ex-USF employee who, at times, wouldn't be a stretch to call "disgruntled". Not saying the figures aren't accurate, I'm sure they are, but as you yourself said, there are very few programs that have to report actual butts in seats. Our figures do look high but there's really nothing to compare them with on a national basis. I'm sure there are plenty of programs where the two figures are close but may be just as many that are just as inflated. You will notice that the article had nothing whatsoever definitive about other programs. It was an article that makes JK look a USF cheerleader. ;)