• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Joey Knight strikes again...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

usf is not playing in the same lake with the big 3

we are now in the minor leagues

as long as we are in the minors attendance will be low

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

I fail to see the negativity supposedly slathered throughout this article. We have lots of fair weather fans. We win, and there will be an uptick in season ticket sales once again. To realize how fair-weather our fanbase is, you only need to look at how many opted to sell their seats during the last FSU game at Ray Jay. We're a long way away from our season ticket holder numbers not fluctuating when we have crappy connective seasons.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  480
  • Days Won:  0

Not to be funny but you know a little perspective is in order when discussing ST sales for a giant stadium in USF's case compared to much smaller stadiums like ECU and UCF right? USF should have more ST sales.  This will be the ninth consecutive season that ECU will sell more than 20K ST, albeit with a smaller student and single ticket (to lesser extent) section compared to some schools.  UCF, while having ST #'s that may seem low considering their success, actually broke their ST sale record for the 5th straight year-in April.  They also have what I would say is the largest student section in the conference by a considerable margin.  It is larger than many P5 schools, though $ comes into play for the cost of seats of course....perspective all around.  STs are a nice measure of fan engagement, but not as nice as the butt-in-seat index, which is currently USF's real problem.  I noticed while searching for ST sales that USF was exposed by national outlets as being TOO generous with their attendance figures, a major feat considering that everyone inflates their #'s a bit. The fact it was bad enough to get singled out suggests that the school is aware of their problem to the point of augmenting numbers beyond what's considered reasonable.  Wins will change that, but another aspect that I noticed is that USF has enjoyed a better quality of home opponents compared to ECU...and UCF for that matter.  For example, USF is probably UCF's biggest home draw this year-and that is not meant as a slight.  We at least got to enjoy UNC last year, UCF has kinda gotten screwed scheduling wise tbh...I think their numbers would be higher if a NC State and Maryland-backed home schedule was considered a 'bad' schedule.  Even Syracuse, Cincy, Temple, Memphis isn't a bad home draw...and FAU has a decent following and name recognition. 

I saw nothing wrong with the article, btw.  It seemed rather objective. 

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501
  • Days Won:  0

At least he didn't go to the number of actual season ticket holders....many folks have multiple tickets....I fear that would be a really scary low number.

Guest PCBull14

At least he didn't go to the number of actual season ticket holders....many folks have multiple tickets....I fear that would be a really scary low number.

As with most other programs. We aren't the only ones selling multiple tickets to one person.

What would you expect from the product on the field over the last few years? Better times are coming.

To the ECU Fan. USF wasn't the only one inflating numbers my friend. Michigan can't even draw anymore, dead beat topic if you ask me.

Funny a guy covering the team presents this information like it's unknown. USF ticket sales down? NO WAY! I'll read his articles when they actually have some substance. Do your job, report things the fans don't know or want to read along with your jabs. God can someone bring Greg back!!

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I don't think there is anything 'wrong' with the article per se, its just JK's historic slant. I think these type of articles are easier for him to write and he does it more often than I personally care for. I gave a reasonable example in my hyperbole of something that I would be more interesting in reading, more informative regarding the team, and more relevant to this season. This is beating a deadhorse IMO...

I also think it is his job to keep the readership interested and covering the TEAM is a perfectly legitimate way of doing so...just my 2 cents. I know I don't check TBT as much anymore.

I think you are being way too sensitive here.  Season ticket sales are down.  It should be reported.  How do make that into a positive?  Frankly, I thought he did a good job turning it into a positive.

Greg is an awesome reporter.  But it was boatloads easier covering a team that was on the rise all the way up to #2 in the country than covering what it has become.  I'm sure Joey Knight's bosses would have him spend more time on USF if the team won more than six games the last two years.  I think we need to be realistic and not harass JK because the team isn't Top 25 material.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Just an interesting, goofy factoid in the midst of this news .... In 2014, after winning just 10 games the 3 previous years combined, we sold 14,788 season tickets. That same year, after going 12-1 the previous year, a second consecutive conference championship and a BCS bowl win, our supposed B12 lock brethren program to the northeast sold a whopping 1,261 more season tix than we did.

Maybe you should help JK out, seems like you did better a more diligent job than he did. As I alluded to in my OP, and M. Stuby pointed out, he is comparing total numbers before the season has even started.

He doesn't work for the USF marketing department. It isn't his job to paint rainbows and butterflies about USF so you will be happy.  His job is to report the news.  He's telling the truth, and he didn't beat up USF nearly as much as he could have.

When the team starts winning and ticket sales go up you will be much happier with his reporting.  Until then you should restrict yourself to the USF press releases since they only report the positive.

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,848
  • Days Won:  22

I don't think those numbers are that bad for as horrible as we have been past few years. For those that keep clamoring that we belong in the P5, this shows a good picture of where we are as a fan base. You want yo be in O5 then fans have to support the program money wise and with fan's butts on seats. Every time our fans don't go to games, don't buy season tickets or single game tickets you are showing we don't belong in P5

I think Harlan did well with those changes, yes some got screwed on ticket prices because many where buying lots of tickets under one donor block. We need to increase the number of donors,

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,734
  • Days Won:  425

Not to be funny but you know a little perspective is in order when discussing ST sales for a giant stadium in USF's case compared to much smaller stadiums like ECU and UCF right? USF should have more ST sales.  This will be the ninth consecutive season that ECU will sell more than 20K ST, albeit with a smaller student and single ticket (to lesser extent) section compared to some schools.  UCF, while having ST #'s that may seem low considering their success, actually broke their ST sale record for the 5th straight year-in April.  They also have what I would say is the largest student section in the conference by a considerable margin.  It is larger than many P5 schools, though $ comes into play for the cost of seats of course....perspective all around.  STs are a nice measure of fan engagement, but not as nice as the butt-in-seat index, which is currently USF's real problem.  I noticed while searching for ST sales that USF was exposed by national outlets as being TOO generous with their attendance figures, a major feat considering that everyone inflates their #'s a bit. The fact it was bad enough to get singled out suggests that the school is aware of their problem to the point of augmenting numbers beyond what's considered reasonable.  Wins will change that, but another aspect that I noticed is that USF has enjoyed a better quality of home opponents compared to ECU...and UCF for that matter.  For example, USF is probably UCF's biggest home draw this year-and that is not meant as a slight.  We at least got to enjoy UNC last year, UCF has kinda gotten screwed scheduling wise tbh...I think their numbers would be higher if a NC State and Maryland-backed home schedule was considered a 'bad' schedule.  Even Syracuse, Cincy, Temple, Memphis isn't a bad home draw...and FAU has a decent following and name recognition. 

I saw nothing wrong with the article, btw.  It seemed rather objective. 

If you want to come here and tout ECU's season tix and fanbase, by all means .... You guys are doing a great job .... but stop with the excuses for UCF. Are you telling me you wouldn't have sold out one game following a year like that? ..... and I'm certainly not following your point that a larger stadium should have more ST holders than winning programs with smaller stadiums when we've had 14 wins in 4 years .... and I know you were talking about them getting screwed scheduling wise pertaining to attendance, supposedly, but they were royally blessed by scheduling the last two years by avoiding one of the top teams in the conference both years.

Finally, if you have the links to those national outlets where we were singled out for attendance fudging, could you post them? Not questioning because I think I vaguely remember that but just wanted to revisit to makes sure it was apples to apples and all.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

I would think a smaller stadium would drive season tickets more than a large. No need to secure the seat in a large stadium, there are plenty. Supply and demand.