• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

8/15 Practice

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

I was out there and I watched Flowers throw at least 2 in the dirt on short passes.  His deep balls floated and wobbled and the one to Price that he ended up fumbling looks like it was end over end.  Flower's passes look like balls thrown by a RB on a half back option pass.  No velocity and lots of air unerneath it.  They don't look like balls thrown by a legit QB.  Also, I'm no expert on QB mechanics, but his throwing motion looks awful.  And he's about 5'9" or 5'10" at the most.

Now on to the positives.  He is at his best when the play breaks down and he has to scramble and run.  And I'm sure in a live game where he's not down by touch he would have a lot of yards running the read option.  But there has to be the threat of a passing game for the read option to work. 

Bench throws a much better ball than Flowers but he still makes some bad decisions.  Neither one of these guys are world beaters and Taggart has a very tought decision to make.  If Woulard gets the waver problem solved but that's highly unlikely.

2015 doesn't look much better in the QB department..

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

I was out there and I watched Flowers throw at least 2 in the dirt on short passes. His deep balls floated and wobbled and the one to Price that he ended up fumbling looks like it was end over end. Flower's passes look like balls thrown by a RB on a half back option pass. No velocity and lots of air unerneath it. They don't look like balls thrown by a legit QB. Also, I'm no expert on QB mechanics, but his throwing motion looks awful. And he's about 5'9" or 5'10" at the most.

Now on to the positives. He is at his best when the play breaks down and he has to scramble and run. And I'm sure in a live game where he's not down by touch he would have a lot of yards running the read option. But there has to be the threat of a passing game for the read option to work.

Bench throws a much better ball than Flowers but he still makes some bad decisions. Neither one of these guys are world beaters and Taggart has a very tought decision to make. If Woulard gets the waver problem solved but that's highly unlikely.

2015 doesn't look much better in the QB department..

See my post regarding practice a week ago and 53 weeks ago.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Woulard or we are ******

The fact he's taking snaps keeps me hopeful

Edited by Skingraft
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

Woulard or we are ******

The fact that it's with the third and 4th teams doesn't keep me hopeful at all.  Either we run the triple option/read option the entire season or we will not win 6 games.  Bench hasn't seen a DB he doesn't want to throw to and Flowers can't throw it appears.  So... there we have it.  Oh... by the way... I've followed Woulard's career pre-USF as I'm a UCLA fan also... he's not that good which does not make me that hopeful for next season.  

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  2,166
  • Days Won:  1

First I'll say I think Woulard hands down would be the guy if he gets the waiver. He is the best without question though his reps have been limited obviously.

I'll have no hope if Bench is the starter. We have seen him throw many passes and his running hasn't been productive at all overall in actual games.

Flowers needs to be the guy if Woulard doesn't get a waiver. We stick to running a vast majority of the time. Bench has a slight edge in passing, but he looks like the same we've seen, Flowers has closed the gap from last year. Don't see why he couldn't continue to refine is mechanics and surpass Bench.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Woulard or we are ******

The fact that it's with the third and 4th teams doesn't keep me hopeful at all. Either we run the triple option/read option the entire season or we will not win 6 games. Bench hasn't seen a DB he doesn't want to throw to and Flowers can't throw it appears. So... there we have it. Oh... by the way... I've followed Woulard's career pre-USF as I'm a UCLA fan also... he's not that good which does not make me that hopeful for next season.

Way to flush my hopes man... lol

• Topic Count:  347
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  0

How was the "Pace"... did we respond well to the faster pace of the game?

Did we look like our offense has that aspect down well, or do we still look like Willie's first year? Just want to know if we are getting off the ball faster as billed.

* Don't Panic about the QB's just yet... we still have 3 weeks of camp/practice...

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

One more thing from the scrimmage. There was much more energy enthusiasm coaching encouraging going on on the defense side f the field. Tom Allen and the other coaches were yelling and encouraging the whole time. The defense was a lot more fired up than the offense. The offense side was like a church picnic.

If CWT doesn't work out I wouldn't mind Tom Allen taking over.

Edited by El_Toro_86

I would say that in the two practices I saw, the passes from Flowers and Bench were rough... but I don't really think they are 100% accurate pictures of their abilities.

First, we have a really good defense.  Probably a better defense than any on our schedule not from Tallahassee. 

Second, the QBs are still down by touch.  So they are not really playing in a real game situation.  Not just scrambles and runs, but there will be some scrambles with passes... and I think those will help.

Third, with a fast pace, the dink-and-dive short passes will be more effective than you might think.  Especially if we can mix up runs with the short passes... we might not get a lot of 20 yard plays... but if we can average 6 or 7 yards per play, we can do well.

That said, both QBs have issues hitting wide open WRs, and the WRs have problems catching the ball...

What I saw with Flowers and Bench, Flowers makes better decisions.  He reads the defense better and goes through his progressions better.  He may throw some ducks or balls in the dirt... but he won't try forcing things like Bench (or Mike White did).

I still think Flowers will be the QB we need to manage the game... good enough to keep defenses honest for for the foundation - our strong running game.  I think that will be enough to win 7 or 8 games with our schedule.

That said, I reserve the right to change my mind when we see Flowers face another team and play tackle football.