• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bulls vs Owls Live on WatchESPN

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

21 hours ago, Triple B said:

doubtful there are many that get D1 scholarships that lack fundamentals

I don't doubt it. Many players are recruited on athletic ability or scoring ability but don't know fundamentals of game like defense, team defense, how to hedge a screen, big men with bad footwork, flawed rebounding, passing. Much I've seen with our young team. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,513
  • Days Won:  422

3 hours ago, Brad said:

I don't doubt it. Many players are recruited on athletic ability or scoring ability but don't know fundamentals of game like defense, team defense, how to hedge a screen, big men with bad footwork, flawed rebounding, passing. Much I've seen with our young team. 

Those are more complex "fundamentals" than what I was thinking of ...... and lord knows what "fundamentals" char meant.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

34 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Those are more complex "fundamentals" than what I was thinking of ...... and lord knows what "fundamentals" char meant.

It's a simple game, really! :D

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,513
  • Days Won:  422

1 hour ago, charsibb said:

It's a simple game, really! :D

I love that clip .... Pretty much irrelevant in this conversation but awesome nonetheless.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,677
  • Days Won:  108

Greatest line on fundamentals (baseball) was from Willie Mays. When they hit it I catch it and when they throw it I hit it.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

20 minutes ago, Bourbon Bull said:

Greatest line on fundamentals (baseball) was from Willie Mays. When they hit it I catch it and when they throw it I hit it.

Me likey!

• Topic Count:  97
  • Content Count:  1,180
  • Days Won:  2

21 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

Lots of varying opinions here. Is the team talented and neither Antigua or Bartow could harness it. Or is Bartow a guy who can coach up talent but the squad has none?

I agree that Guerrero is a guy who hasn't shown a lot of improvement. He lacks any form of athleticism with facing or with his back to the basket, but is a guy who shows some flashes on the boards.

The team has talent but continues to play inconsistently with turnovers and fouls. Like I said, every player has showed flashes this year but they can't put it together for a full game. I really don't know if Bartow is the answer but he has definitely put more work into it than Antigua did. I think there is a base for the new coach to work from, since there are no seniors, but the coach has to be a guy who can drill the fundamentals and smart basketball into these guys.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,677
  • Days Won:  108

9 hours ago, brybull1970 said:

I don't blame Bartow. I'm just saying I haven't seen him show anything that says he is the guy that we want to hitch our wagon to for the next 3 years.

Im not sure how anyone in their sane mind would think that hiring a coach who will likely go 0-17 is the guy to turn the program around.

We just go round and round with this.  WHICH coach in the country would not be going 0 - 17 with this team?  So if Coach K were here and went 0 - 17 with THESE players you wouldn't give him a chance the next year to be your coach? Bartow has proven in the past to be a decent coach.  Can he coach these players to wins? Well, could anyone coach these players to wins? I'm not saying I want Bartow back but I wouldn't be shocked or upset if he does return.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  257
  • Content Count:  2,405
  • Days Won:  5

The real question is can he recruit better talent.  His coaching ability isn't the question its what can he bring in to compete

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

25 minutes ago, bcgruber said:

The real question is can he recruit better talent.  His coaching ability isn't the question its what can he bring in to compete

At this point, I don't think we need better talent. We just need a full squad of gritty, chip-on-the-shoulder players that execute fundamentals and play really well together. We have the facilities but lack the history to attract super high-caliber HS players.