• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Groping for Bright Spots: Football newcomers in 2015

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

Looks like Taggart will be here in 2015, but if so, hopefully Mr. Harlan will help in ensuring we have the tools to create a successful offense.

While Taggart's excuse seems to be he inherited a mess, next year, the bulk of players will be his recruits.  I think it's worth noting who is expected to play in 2015 (not counting the 2015 class, as that's too uncertain, IMO) and getting opinions on if we think they can be difference makers. Or, if I missed anyone key:

1.  Jimmy Bayes, RS in 2014.  Our first recruit of the class, and a vocal recruiter.  Not sure where he'll play, but is supposed to be very talented.

2.  Kevin Bronson, RS in 2014.  Big talent, picked up late in the 2014 class (prev. VTech commit).  DE or DT, with excellent upside in an area of need.

3.  Rohan Blackwood, Academic issues.  DE/LB, highly rated.  Will he make it to campus & join the team, or is he JUCO bound?

4.  Stanley Clerveaux, RS in 2014. 6'3" WR, with apparently ball attacking skills, with good hands.

5.  Kano Dillon, RS in 2014.  6'5" TE. Raw, but potential replacement of McFarland.

6.  Nick Holman, RS in 2014, due to injury.  Not sure what his status is, but we are desperate for linebackers, especially if we stick with the 3-4 (hope not).

7.  Eric Mayes, DE.  Will be the 3rd shot at trying to get him on campus.  Losing hope, but he was highly rated, so I'm still waiting to hear.

8.  Tyre McCants, WR.  RS in 2014.  Heralded WR/KR.  Surprised he didn't play in 2014, but hoping he can provide the spark he gave his HS team.  WIth Dunkley gone, we need an explosive PR/KR.

9.  Offensive Linemen RS in 2014:  Michael Smith, Michael Galati, Zach Hudson, Benjamin Knox.  Don't know much about them, but saw Smith play in HS, and he's a beast.

10. Vincent Jackson, RS in 2014.  Surprised he didn't play in 2014, as he was one of the higher rated recruits.  Hopefully he's ready for 2015, as DE/LB are obvious areas of need.

There are a few others from the 2014 class, but by my count, 9 true freshman played enough to NOT RS, with Mack the biggest contributor.

Seems to be a fair amount of talent in the wings, if they can develop and we have coaches to create schemes to optimize our talent.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  34
  • Days Won:  0

There's also that transfer offensive lineman from Stanford

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Do we really expect freshmen to make this team that much better in 2015?

I have no doubt that these guys will be more talented than some of the guys these last couple of years, but I have a hard time expecting so many freshmen making a huge difference right away.

I see 2016 or 2017 being good. 2015 is a building year.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

fools gold

without a top end qb usf will remain mired in the bottom of the mighty aac not to be confused with the acc

• Topic Count:  347
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  0

If you can add a top Juco QB, I think everybody would feel much better...

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Is there a top Juco QB out there?  I looked at 24/7 and none look that impressive.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,466
  • Days Won:  25

Without proper coaching, none of it matters.

Improved offensive line play, in my opinion, will help the most.

There's also that transfer offensive lineman from Stanford

Awesome! Forgot about him. Thanks

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

Basically Cwt has had to use the prior coaches Oline to run his system...curious to see how his lineman play.

Unfortunately for Cwt we will have alot of youth on offense next year and that usually means stupid mistakes.

Basically Cwt has had to use the prior coaches Oline to run his system...curious to see how his lineman play.

Unfortunately for Cwt we will have alot of youth on offense next year and that usually means stupid mistakes.

Since 3 starters at OL were seniors, we'll find out soon enough.  Losing Reiter hurts, but we'll survive the loss of Williams & Eatmon, and hopefully upgrade. We need some nastiness, so hopefully the lack of a bowl game gives them extra gym time and the stench of getting shut out by hated UCF drives them to destroy the D next year.