• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Willie the Magnificent Play Caller

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

success rate numbers are going to be skewed because 95% of teams on 3rd and 7+ are passing the ball. Unless maybe you are Wisconsin or Navy or you are 3rd and a mile and running a draw or something.

most teams run a draw on 3rd and a mile. including NFL teams. percentages wouldn't be skewed if you have a large enough sample size.

I wasn't a fan of the call. i think it's a give up call unless you plan on going for it on 4th down.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  839
  • Days Won:  0

success rate numbers are going to be skewed because 95% of teams on 3rd and 7+ are passing the ball. Unless maybe you are Wisconsin or Navy or you are 3rd and a mile and running a draw or something.

most teams run a draw on 3rd and a mile. including NFL teams. percentages wouldn't be skewed if you have a large enough sample size.

I wasn't a fan of the call. i think it's a give up call unless you plan on going for it on 4th down.

That's why I said unless you are 3rd and a mile. The numbers would be skewed because the number of teams that attempt a run on 3rd and 7 is small so any results would be success rates for those specific teams who presumably are better running teams than USF (Wisconsin), and may have a decent success rate. All teams in college football have passing plays on 3rd and 7.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

A run on 3rd and seven is a difficult play. 3rd and 7 that close to the end zone, where the field is condensed and the defense is already stacked close to the line makes it a really rough play call.

This offense is not built to score. It is built to chew up clock. No reason to not try a play action or a fade.

Last week someone said that on 4th down Taggart wanted to spike the ball, but White got the play from another QB. He should look to that QB again next time he is in the red zone.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,020
  • Days Won:  38

The 3rd and 7 playcall was the loserish moment of the game and I think it resulted in their final non-garbage time score.

Double post because it deserves mentioning... Why not throw it up to this guy named Andre Davis who has never been to a bowl game?

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Safe play call to keep clock running and take points to pull within 1 score. I didn't mind it.

There were plenty of other issues aside from that call.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Content Count:  7,634
  • Days Won:  6

I"ve posted this on other threads, but I can't get over the 3rd and more-than-4 play calling.  We either run or throw a very short out/slant pass hoping that the receiver can gain the first down.  If you know you will not go for it on 4th down, you have to throw to the sticks so you have the yardage on completion.  Never, never understood why we don't do that.

Safe play call to keep clock running and take points to pull within 1 score. I didn't mind it.

There were plenty of other issues aside from that call.

In a normal situation I would maybe agree but with our kicker we still could have kicked a FG from there even if the pass was incomplete.