• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

MBB wins again!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,471
  • Days Won:  13

I love how all of you put so much emphasis on the final score of a game to determine the success this team will have this season. So using that logic, UCONN is going to suck too. They're preseason ranked at #17 but were losing to an unranked Bryant team 34-28 at halftime and only won by 13. UT OH! The basement-dwellers, UCONN! As we all agree, this is a young team, they'll take a few games to learn each other and come together as a team. This team is a 20+ win team. Watch and see. I don't care what crap I get about that. Last year's team was probably one of the worst in recent memory, leading to the firing of the head coach and we still managed 12 wins. This team will win way more than any one but me expects. They have the pieces, and Coach Antigua knows how to put them together, he is no Stan Heath. Heath was incapable of adapting and retraining his teams when things didn't work out, this will be different and you all will see that things are much different now soon enough if you haven't already.

You do realize in the whole history of USF basketball we have only had 4 20 win seasons, right? And you must also know that Stan Heath was the head coach of 2 of those teams, correct?

I'm tired of humans who act as if Stan Heath couldn't coach himself out of a paper bag.

We have no idea how good of a college Head Coach Antigua is. Have some patience and enjoy the ride.

Agreed, Heath was **** good for this Program, and got us our most successful Season in School history. To be honest he is more accomplished as a USF coach than any Football coach that has coached here.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,471
  • Days Won:  13

Heath won 2 Tourney games and came very close to getting us to the Sweet 16.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

I love how all of you put so much emphasis on the final score of a game to determine the success this team will have this season. So using that logic, UCONN is going to suck too. They're preseason ranked at #17 but were losing to an unranked Bryant team 34-28 at halftime and only won by 13. UT OH! The basement-dwellers, UCONN! As we all agree, this is a young team, they'll take a few games to learn each other and come together as a team. This team is a 20+ win team. Watch and see. I don't care what crap I get about that. Last year's team was probably one of the worst in recent memory, leading to the firing of the head coach and we still managed 12 wins. This team will win way more than any one but me expects. They have the pieces, and Coach Antigua knows how to put them together, he is no Stan Heath. Heath was incapable of adapting and retraining his teams when things didn't work out, this will be different and you all will see that things are much different now soon enough if you haven't already.

Totally delusional - I'll have some of whatever she's having...

25bd06b6ab35672a2d27a5c270689803.jpg

...And when asked what his goal in this five-year contract. "Two trips to the NCAA Tournament and one conference title," Antigua said with a smile.

I posted that with a link in another thread, but nobody made any comments.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

You do realize in the whole history of USF basketball we have only had 4 20 win seasons, right? And you must also know that Stan Heath was the head coach of 2 of those teams, correct?

I'm tired of humans who act as if Stan Heath couldn't coach himself out of a paper bag.

We have no idea how good of a college Head Coach Antigua is. Have some patience and enjoy the ride.

Agreed, Heath was **** good for this Program, and got us our most successful Season in School history. To be honest he is more accomplished as a USF coach than any Football coach that has coached here.

Not to mention USF has only won 2 games in the NCAA Tournament. Only 1 head coach in those games.

Coach Antigua may be the right guy. Can we just wait and see before we crown him.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  151
  • Days Won:  0

I guess the Taggart ERROR has rubbed off on some .......because of your cynicism.

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

I was impressed enough with Jackson State's play yesterday that I had to look up their coach. I was surprised to find out that their coach, Wayne Brent, was coaching high school two years ago. I think this JSU squad should make some noise in the SWAC this season. They looked like a well-coached team that hustled. They had some good perimeter shooters, and their backcourt was constantly pressing both offensively and defensively. With regard to USF, we really need these early games to build team experience. As several posters have noted, we have away games against UAB and NC St. this week. Those two games will give us a more appropriate gauge for USF could do in the AAC. Without a healthy Ruben Guerrero, we're pretty slim in the front court. Cousins is prone to getting into foul trouble. I'm keeping my expectations regarding USF MBB minimal. I like what I see offensively out of this squad so far, but they'll really just need to soak up experience this season and learn to play as a squad.

We would be much better with him because of his length and he's probably faster then 95% of the Big Men USF will play. He would be another matchup that USF could exploit and I think when healthy he could possible start over Cousins.

Edited by Vega

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,570
  • Days Won:  423

I guess the Taggart ERROR has rubbed off on some .......because of your cynicism.

There's no negativity there .... Just saying that COA may be the guy but Stan did set the bar pretty high, relatively speaking.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,570
  • Days Won:  423

By mid-season the trolls on this board will be calling for COA's resignation.

And judging by your comments in this thread, you will be the first to do it. This board is for supporters of our teams and you don't seem to be one. Weren't you taught if you can't say anything nice, not to say anything?

No one is saying we are going to win the NCAA championship. What we are saying this that this team is young, with only 4 players being Jr or Sr. The rest are Fr and Soph. So comparing this team and coaching staff to last year's, there is a vast improvement in both performance and attitude. And with the constant input from the coaching staff during games, it helps keep the players focused and hustling. Unlike last year when our offense was like watching grass grow; stalling for 30 sec and then forcing a shot in last 5 sec, this team takes it to the basket or takes a shot when the opportunity is there to put points on the board.

Even with them being young and inexperienced, it will be an interesting and entertaining season as they continue to develop and improve as the season continues. Like others have said, I believe they are going to surprise some people, especially for being one of the youngest teams this year. And Coach A is the one that will bring out the best in all of them.

Oh, have you actually been to either game? I have season tickets and have been to both.

Hopefully that will actually be true come March, but right now, just two games into the season, it's not ..

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  3,698
  • Days Won:  7

Let's examine Stan's record at USF.

2007 - 2008   12-19

2008 - 2009   9-22
2009 - 2010   20-13  Dominique Jones' senior season.

2010 - 2011   10-23
2011 - 2012   22-14  Ron Anderson Jr.'s senior season.  Record during a down year for the Big East. Traditional powers UCONN, Pitt, & Villanova all under .500 in conference play. We were beating up on the already beaten up. We were decent but the conference was weaker than usual when we're typically slaughtered.
2012 - 2013   12-19
2013 - 2014   12-20

I think we need to all get on the same page and decide, are we considering Heath's record relative to previous records at USF or when compared to being a good coach who actually wins. When I look at this all I see is a .429 win percentage overall and .294 in conference. So in actuality his .429 win % is made up of beating weak out of conference teams, possibly Division II before being slaughtered in the Big East and only winning .294 against actual competition. Plus in his 7 year tenure, he probably collected 20 of his 37 wins from beating DePaul and Providence.

Edited by USFBulls12
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

There's no negativity there .... Just saying that COA may be the guy but Stan did set the bar pretty high, relatively speaking.

LMFAO. A sub-.500 guy set the bar high? What will TBP say next...

Two fluke 20-win seasons amongst a pile of sub-12 win seasons is not setting the bar high. Sorry.