• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Basketball early signing period starts tomorrow (11/12)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,896
  • Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

my girlfriend will be into basketball now that we have a Brazilian on the team

Funny, you would think she'd already be into USF basketball since you're already so "gung ho" about your alma mater. :ph34r:

hard to be "gung ho" when you lose year after year and dont compete for anything

for me it is now easier to get her to watch a game

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

We have played two games against lower level competition. We really know very little about this team.

I don't see how anyone can say they look better. We just don't know. They look different, maybe, because they are playing uptempo.

Before anyone gets sucked in to thinking this team is so much better, keep in mind we won our first 2 games last year by 10 points and then by 25 against similar competition.

Coach O is building nicely for the future and building, what looks to be a fun, exciting team to watch, but it is hard to expect so much from so many guys just seeing the floor for the first time.

This year it will be fun to watch the young guys develop and grow.

They can break a zone D. That is something we didn't see under Stan and what ultimately did his teams in. Aside from the rare lob to Rudd over the zone, we would dribble the clock down and settle for an outside jumper. A sure recipe for failure. From the games I've watched (I know: small sample, weak competition) this team attacks, passes and has developed a mid-range jump shooting threat in Perry, which also helps the wings and guards penetrate. Couple that with pushing the tempo and not allowing the D to set up in the first place...the difference to me is night and day to me and should result in, if nothing else, a much more competitive team.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,566
  • Days Won:  423

This year is different.

We'll see soon enough. The first two teams do not really tell us much. The next two games (UAB & NC State) will give us a much better indicator of where we're at. I think we could win against UAB and will lose to NC State, but could see two losses here. Regardless, I don't think it's fair to expect too much from this year.

On the contrary, I don't think it's fair to not expect much this year. Aren't we fans suppose to expect & hope for the best out of our teams? Why be a fan if you're just going to expect and accept failure?

and sometimes the best our teams can do isn't good enough to satisfy some fans...

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

The early recruiting period ended yesterday and so far I can not find any info that Montero actually signed with USF. It's possible that he did sign, but that USF is slow in getting out a release on him. After all, it took a few days to get one out on DaSilva.

Some pure speculation on my part:

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that USF asked him not to sign right now, because of the situation involving WCC. Perhaps, we want him to wait on signing, in order to peruse his final transcript, to make sure everything is in order. USF doesn't want to become another school who was defrauded by WCC.

As it is, there are already some not so subtle suggestions that USF may have something to hide because we accepted J Famous from that same school and USF sees no reason to go back now and look at his transcipt.

Also, USF and CoachOA was a finalist for K Thomas from there who ultimately signed with SJU and was found ineligible after his transcript was reviewed by them.

In addition, Coach OA and the WCC headcoach played on the same HS team and that breeds more speculation, even though that coach has not (yet) been implicated in the transcript scandal.

Lastly, by not signing now, CoachOA doesn't have to immediately address the issue of the "unavailable" scholarship due to an already full roster for next season.

The early recruiting period ended yesterday and so far I can not find any info that Montero actually signed with USF. It's possible that he did sign, but that USF is slow in getting out a release on him. After all, it took a few days to get one out on DaSilva.

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that USF asked him not to sign right now, because of the situation involving WCC. Perhaps, we want him to wait on signing, in order to peruse his final transcript, to make sure everything is in order. USF doesn't want to become another school who was defrauded by WCC.

As it is, there are already some not so subtle suggestions that USF may have something to hide because we accepted J Famous from that same school and USF sees no reason to go back now and look at his transcipt.

Also, USF and CoachOA was a finalist for K Thomas from there who ultimately signed with SJU and was found ineligible after his transcript was reviewed by them.

In addition, Coach OA and the WCC headcoach played on the same HS team and that breeds more speculation, even though that coach has not (yet) been implicated in the transcript scandal.

Lastly, by not signing now, CoachOA doesn't have to immediately address the issue of the "unavailable" scholarship due to an already full roster for next season.

Would he have to address it now or only when it gets closer to the next academic year? Kind of like in football when schools over sign but it all seems to work out when school starts ...

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Would he have to address it now or only when it gets closer to the next academic year? Kind of like in football when schools over sign but it all seems to work out when school starts ...

In football, there is no early signing period. That makes a big difference. When FB NSD comes, it is the offseason and there is no reason to address it then. Besides, there are 80 scholarships in FB, so a couple of extra is no big deal, especially since some players might not qualify.

Basketball season is just starting. The PLAYERS would know that all the scholarships are accounted for already. So, an additional scholarship at THIS time puts the coach in an awkward position, with players looking over their shoulder to surmise which of them will be getting axed. I don't think CoachOA wants to start out with that on their minds.

In football, there is no early signing period. That makes a big difference. When FB NSD comes, it is the offseason and there is no reason to address it then. Besides, there are 80 scholarships in FB, so a couple of extra is no big deal, especially since some players might not qualify.

Basketball season is just starting. The PLAYERS would know that all the scholarships are accounted for already. So, an additional scholarship at THIS time puts the coach in an awkward position, with players looking over their shoulder to surmise which of them will be getting axed. I don't think CoachOA wants to start out with that on their minds.

Dang, I had actually thought of that aspect a while ago but had completely forgotten about it .... Makes sense.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Dang, I had actually thought of that aspect a while ago but had completely forgotten about it .... Makes sense.

yes, but where did you put the **** car keys?

yes, but where did you put the **** car keys?

0484.823.PT5_1024x1024.jpg?v=1346791058

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

No player is thinking about getting the ax. They are thinking about how do I get playing time. If they don't get it this year they will transfer like at every other institution. Boom, scholarship.