• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Should Taggart be fired this year?

Is it time for Tag to go  

149 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Content Count:  3,594
  • Days Won:  3

His recruiting prowess is dying very quickly. We have zero top talent recruits. SMU ranks higher than we do. And the couple guys we had (higdon, and the receiver who flipped to UF) that were worth anything are now gone and not even considering us.

The one thing he is good at is becoming another weakness due to the product on the field. We're not just losing. We suck at everything

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Tonight was tough.  

I've had it up to here ... but I'm keeping myself in check, as I've always said Taggart should get as much time as Holtz did.  

Talk to me after the UCF game.  

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  467
  • Days Won:  0

You have to give Taggart at least one more year.  Right now most of the players on the field (which he recruited) are freshmen and sophomores and you can't expect them to play the same as juniors and seniors.  Next year is another story.  

I agree that the game today was unwatchable especially on offense.  Bench made some good passes, but the receivers failing to hold onto the ball hurt.  The 3 sacks of Bench show that the offense isn't able to protect the QB.  Yes, changes have to be made.  I can't really say that CWT has lost the team as I'm not privy to what goes on in the locker room or practice.

The defense was on the field way tooooo long, which falls on the offense for not converting 3rd downs..  

What bothers me most is that I remember when we had the ugliest, dirtiest and best defense in the conference under Leavitt.  True we had  most penalties too, but you always felt that we could win the game.

Taggart was hired because he came into WKU, a team that had lost 20 games in a row, and his second year there won 7 games. Certainly USF wasn't that bad when he came and he is recruiting better here in 2 years then Kentucky. But you look at his two winning seasons at WKU, half his wins, 7 of 14, were by 1 score and 4 were OT wins. I'm not reassured.

I seem to recall this concern at hire, so not really surprised where we are right now. 

I think he gets another year, mostly because we can't keep paying coaches that are not here and he seems to recruit well. Though I have to admit, I've not done a cost analysis of revenue loss due to low tickets sales vs. another coach on the payroll. I wager someone on the AD's staff is doing that exact thing -- I know I'd order it. 

Then again, if he loses to SMU after the bye, all bets are off. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

Tonight was tough.  

I've had it up to here ... but I'm keeping myself in check, as I've always said Taggart should get as much time as Holtz did.  

But he has had as much time to get fired, 1 1/2 half seasons of losing. It him took 1 season to turn 20 loss streak WKU around. That is what he was hired to do, IMO, get USF which wasn't that bad as WKU and has better recruiting, back to winning ASAP.

The 2nd half of the game was unwatchable on defense too.  Those guys just gave out ... not faulting them, they were just wore down.  I stopped watching our defense when Ward was going down for a sack and he flipped the ball to his RB who got about 20 yards on the play. 

That did it for me.  

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

Doesn't matter how good a recruiter you are, you can't recruit to a program that has no history, fans, and is a perennial loser. The time is now to dump Taggart and go after a real coach, not some scrub who is unproven.

• Upvote 1

Tonight was tough.  

But he has had as much time to get fired, 1 1/2 half seasons of losing. It him took 1 season to turn 20 loss streak WKU around. That is what he was hired to do, IMO, get USF which wasn't that bad as WKU and has better recruiting, back to winning ASAP.

I really am not in the mood to start with this tonight.  All I will say is that what Holtz inherited and what Taggart inherited were VERY different.  Holtz took a bowl team and ran it into the ground.  Taggart took a ship that ran aground and sank, and the repairs he has attempted haven't really even lifted the ship off the ocean floor yet.  It's not the same job it was when USF hired Holtz.  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  467
  • Days Won:  0

Tonight was tough.  

I'm in the same boat. I'm sick of losing, but even more tired of watching bad football. 

Hell, my 8 year-old daughter watched a little of the game and said, "Dad, I don't think our team is very good."

And that was before the score went out of control.

The 2nd half of the game was unwatchable on defense too.  Those guys just gave out ... not faulting them, they were just wore down.  I stopped watching our defense when Ward was going down for a sack and he flipped the ball to his RB who got about 20 yards on the play. 

That did it for me.

Yep, they did great, holding them to 7 for a long time. Frankly, they need some recognition. They played hard and smart for most of the game. I know Bench was just as frustrated. His O Line is not experienced and half the time his passes were dropped or not caught.

The bright spot was how good the defense played for at least half the game. When they don't, we are in serious trouble.

Tonight was tough.  

I really am not in the mood to start with this tonight.  All I will say is that what Holtz inherited and what Taggart inherited were VERY different.  Holtz took a bowl team and ran it into the ground.  Taggart took a ship that ran aground and sank, and the repairs he has attempted haven't really even lifted the ship off the ocean floor yet.  It's not the same job it was when USF hired Holtz.

Just think. What did Taggart inherit at WKU, after losing 20 straight games? That ship was at the bottom of the sea. Second year he was 7 wins. USF was in much better shape than WKU when he took over.