• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Why does our defense always give up the underneath pass?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  217
  • Content Count:  2,495
  • Days Won:  1

Because giving up a five yard pass is better than giving up an 80 yard pass.  

First thought that came to my mind as well

Right up until you give up 17 of them in one drive..... ;)

Even then.  The only downside, really, is possibly wearing out your defensive players.  But it is much better if the other team takes seven minutes to score rather than one minute.  Keeps the game closer, even if your offense is doing nothing.  The less drives the better.

The real answer is that the goal is start by not giving up the big play.  As your players gain experience and start to play "faster", they will start to cut down some of the short stuff also.  In the meantime, you give yourself a chance to win.  Give up a couple of bombs in the first quarter and the game can be over real quick.

I get it, but would rather see us play D to keep the other team from scoring.  Not, let's play to keep them out of the end zone for a couple more minutes.

Also, not many opportunities to jump routes when the DB's are playing 7- 10 yards off the receivers.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

Because playing soft coverage was part of the official cultural shift.

• Topic Count:  49
  • Content Count:  403
  • Days Won:  0

To continue on with my point.... In Cinci's 1st series, we gave up 2 underneath passes for about 7 yards each, had very good coverage on the deep pass that happened to be pass interference, and then we gave up a 3rd underneath pass whereas the WR broke free and took it 38 yards for a TD. 

Waiting for Cinci's 2nd drive so I can see how many more "dink and dunk" passes we give up.

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

Maybe that's why we went with the stay puff look tonight.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  639

Reminds me of when Skip Holtz would play our NFL-level DBs 8-12 yards off the ball no matter the down and distance.

• Topic Count:  49
  • Content Count:  403

I found it funny that on our last drive before halftime (before White fumbled), the announcers pointed out that USF was able to get all of those underneath passes because Cinci was playing back.  I was like -- That is how we play all the time!

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516

I can't believe teams don't run the bubble screens every single play against us. They're basically guaranteed 6-8 yards every time. How freaking long does it take to figure out how to stop that play?? 8 games not enough Chuck?? 

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

I can't believe teams don't run the bubble screens every single play against us. They're basically guaranteed 6-8 yards every time. How freaking long does it take to figure out how to stop that play?? 8 games not enough Chuck?? 

Na man, we'd rather sit 7 yards off when all they need is 4-5 yards then backpedal another 3+ yards away from the line to make at the snap! It's genius i tell ya!

4th and 2? Lets play 7 yards off. How the hell did our DB coach ever get hired into the NFL?

Edited by deters-