• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Just saw Mike White was given game ball

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Mike White was 10-14 for 211yds & 3TD in 2ND HALF to lead Bulls comeback.

A comeback that was necessary because he was so bad in the first he was on the verge of being Benched.  Great second half, but still lots of work to do.

It concerns me that a guy that has now started a dozen games still lets nerves get the better of him.  Hopefully he works through all that before next season starts.

Couple of things. I'm happy that Tags at least thought of making a change at QB.  It worked out great though as Mike had a terrific 2nd half.

As for the nerves thing, there are plenty of pros in all sports that get nervous before games.  Don't fault him for being nervous. But he needs to play through that.  I mentioned in another thread that the throws that he bounces short of the receivers are mostly early in the game.  Saw a bit of improvement stepping up into the pocket but still am afraid of his throwing when facing a better pass rush.

Nervous before games isn't a problem.  Actually, for some players nervous in game isn't a problem.  For White, it seems to be a huge problem.  He's a young pup, hoping he grows out of it.

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,430
  • Days Won:  3

Only getting better.

Next season, we're going to be a solid team.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  315
  • Days Won:  3

White is the definition of a serviceable QB.   Essentially he is a guy that can make all the throws, but only if his WR, TE, or RB is open. He rarely if ever, makes any throws that become completions because he made an amazing throw, it's almost always because his guy ran a great route or there was a blown coverage.   Davis the other day made that very clear to me.

Being a serviceable QB isn't necessarily a bad thing though.   Some supposedly great QB's in the NFL are just disguised as great and are really just serviceable.  Matt Ryan, Matt Stafford, Jay Cutler, Carson Palmer. Andy Dalton.   All of those guys have put up big numbers over their careers but without their stud WR's, they wouldn't be much of anything, and every time their pro-bowl weapons get injured, it shows.    USF can win with a serviceable QB though, Taggart just needs to make sure he recruits WR's and TE's that can get themselves wide open.

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

please dont compare white to matt ryan ,carson palmer,andy dalton,jay culter and these guys are accomplished college and pro qbs

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

One of my favorite plays by White today was the key 3rd down conversion when he started running the ball, acknowledged he probably would make the 1st down, but then threw the short pass to Davis to get convert. Davis ended up getting his 2nd TD catch

White was scrambling like C3PO, as he does most times he scrambles, but that was a totally clutch play. My hat off to Mike White; he earned his game ball against Tulsa.

White is the definition of a serviceable QB.   Essentially he is a guy that can make all the throws, but only if his WR, TE, or RB is open. He rarely if ever, makes any throws that become completions because he made an amazing throw, it's almost always because his guy ran a great route or there was a blown coverage.   Davis the other day made that very clear to me.

Being a serviceable QB isn't necessarily a bad thing though.   Some supposedly great QB's in the NFL are just disguised as great and are really just serviceable.  Matt Ryan, Matt Stafford, Jay Cutler, Carson Palmer. Andy Dalton.   All of those guys have put up big numbers over their careers but without their stud WR's, they wouldn't be much of anything, and every time their pro-bowl weapons get injured, it shows.    USF can win with a serviceable QB though, Taggart just needs to make sure he recruits WR's and TE's that can get themselves wide open.

I agree with your general point.  But in order to maintain my aura of being constantly argumentative, I have to say that I would not consider Cutler, Stafford and Palmer "serviceable" QBs.  Those guys can make throws that most normal people cannot.  Granted, they may not be the most accurate as far as making pinpoint throws.  But they exceed "serviceable" IMO because they have cannons for an arm.  Or did, in the case of Palmer when he was in his prime.

One of my favorite plays by White today was the key 3rd down conversion when he started running the ball, acknowledged he probably would make the 1st down, but then threw the short pass to Davis to get convert. Davis ended up getting his 2nd TD catch

White was scrambling like C3PO, as he does most times he scrambles, but that was a totally clutch play. My hat off to Mike White; he earned his game ball against Tulsa.

Props for "scrambling like C3PO".

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,423
  • Days Won:  19

MW is improving...

However, it's painfully obvious who he is connecting the ball to... He stares down that receiver as soon as the ball is snapped

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,339
  • Days Won:  43

Mike White has the chance to be the best QB to ever play at USF. He has the tools. He has the NFL body. He just has to learn not to make mistakes like locking into WR Andre Davis so that the entire Tulsa team knew it was coming.  Those are mistakes that I think he will learn. He is only 19 years old. Peyton Manning had happy feet against the UF Gators and could never beat them because of that. It turned out well for Manning. 

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,339
  • Days Won:  43

Also, I thought one of the most impressive plays by Mike White was holding on to  that ball when he was getting sacked late in the 1st half. The play was originally called a fumble recovered TD for Tulsa. Thankful they reversed that play as that could have been the nail.