• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

A Hurricane In Tulsa?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  339
  • Content Count:  3,692
  • Days Won:  2

The origination of The University of Tulsa nickname - Golden Hurricane - came in 1922. A new football coach, Howard Acher, came to town and inherited a slew of nicknames dating back to 1895.

cape-1.png
Click for larger photo

Past Tulsa teams were referred to as Kendallites, Presbyterians, Tigers, Orange and Black, and Tulsans. In the fall of 1922, the team nickname was "Yellow Jackets," which was apparently due to the fact that the team was wearing new black and yellow uniforms instead of the traditional orange and black.

The team opened the season and it was apparent that Tulsa was going to have a great year, and trying to seize some publicity for his team, Acher wanted to find a new nickname quickly.

After a remark was made in practice one day about "roaring through opponents," and because of their new jersey colors, he thought of Golden Tornadoes. However, he quickly found out that the name had been taken by Georgia Tech a few years earlier. From the tornado, he evolved meteorologically to the hurricane. A few days before the team left for a game against Texas A&M, Acher asked the squad to vote on the name, and thus "Golden Hurricane" was born.

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

They have us beat on tornadoes, but hopefully we show 'em what a real hurricane is like...South Florida style.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

They have us beat on tornadoes, but hopefully we show 'em what a real hurricane is like...South Florida style.

I'm only worried that real hurricanes usually give people plenty of time to prepare, so they'll be ready.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  14

I'm only worried that real hurricanes usually give people plenty of time to prepare, so they'll be ready.

Well, that fits in to Taggart's game plan, then.  I paraphase:  "They'll know what's coming but they still won't be able to stop it."

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

"They'll know what's coming but they still won't be able to stop it."

Half of that quote is spot on.

Edited by JTrue

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,721
  • Days Won:  109

Does anyone know about TV for this game?  Just went through my FIOS guide for Sat at noon and don't see the game there.  There is one slot on ESPNews that doesn't list the teams.

• Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

Im pretty sure it is on ESPNU or News

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,730
  • Days Won:  425

Does anyone know about TV for this game?  Just went through my FIOS guide for Sat at noon and don't see the game there.  There is one slot on ESPNews that doesn't list the teams.

Sat, Oct 18 Tulsa * H.A. Chapman Stadium (Tulsa, Oklahoma) 12:00 PM USF IMG Network

ESPNews 

http://www.gousfbulls.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=7700&SPID=2981&SPSID=37331

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

"They'll know what's coming but they still won't be able to stop it."

Half of that quote is spot on.
I had to laugh on this one. It is spot on though

• Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,721
  • Days Won:  109

Sat, Oct 18 Tulsa * H.A. Chapman Stadium (Tulsa, Oklahoma) 12:00 PM USF IMG Network

ESPNews 

http://www.gousfbulls.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=7700&SPID=2981&SPSID=37331

Thanks.