• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Do our opponents really fall...

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,640
  • Days Won:  424

White has to make sure everyone is set before the ball is snapped. He got his butt chewed by CWT on the sidelines for this. Hopefully he learns it.

You, sir, have to be mistaken ... We have been told by reliable sources that our head coach NEVER shows any emotion, specifically never chewing someone out when they made a mistake ... Must have been an assistant coach.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

White has to make sure everyone is set before the ball is snapped. He got his butt chewed by CWT on the sidelines for this. Hopefully he learns it.

You, sir, have to be mistaken ... We have been told by reliable sources that our head coach NEVER shows any emotion, specifically never chewing someone out when they made a mistake ... Must have been an assistant coach.

Only reason he made the mistake in the first place is because Holtz once talked to him.

For our presnap shifting? Is it even worth it? I mean, i cant tell if our successful plays are the result of the presnap shifts.

It seems more deteimental seeing how some of the guys look confused which results in an illegal shift penalty. Why not just line up where you are suppose to be?

The shift helps indicate man vs zone coverage, and where they rotate around... it also helps to see if the LBs shift or not based on likelihood of blitzing.

The illegal shift penalty occurred because Taggart was getting the plays in WAY LATE... and they had to hurry up... the WR wasn't quite in position when the ball was snapped... which means the offense didn't have everyone set for one second before the last man started in motion... (he was still getting into position from the huddle)

Hold on a second...I remember this play clearly and White called for the snap with 1 second on the play clock. His eyes had to be on the click at that point (and the ball). No way that's on him.

Correct!!  It was actually on Taggart for taking too long to get the play in... and on the WR for not realizing how fast he needed to get set.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Hold on a second...I remember this play clearly and White called for the snap with 1 second on the play clock. His eyes had to be on the click at that point (and the ball). No way that's on him.

Correct!!  It was actually on Taggart for taking too long to get the play in... and on the WR for not realizing how fast he needed to get set.

That was the main problem last year.  Taggart takes a very long time to get the plays in.  

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

For our presnap shifting? Is it even worth it? I mean, i cant tell if our successful plays are the result of the presnap shifts.

It seems more deteimental seeing how some of the guys look confused which results in an illegal shift penalty. Why not just line up where you are suppose to be?

The shift helps indicate man vs zone coverage, and where they rotate around... it also helps to see if the LBs shift or not based on likelihood of blitzing.

The illegal shift penalty occurred because Taggart was getting the plays in WAY LATE... and they had to hurry up... the WR wasn't quite in position when the ball was snapped... which means the offense didn't have everyone set for one second before the last man started in motion... (he was still getting into position from the huddle)

Yes it helps to see what the defense is in, and maybe once or twice a game create confusion for the defense and allow a FB or TE to get wide open because the Defense loses track of who they're covering. With that being said though, it's not like Mike White is going to audible (Has he ever audibled/Is he allowed to?) after seeing if the D is in man/zone or reading the defense. We don't shift until there are less than 10 seconds on the play clock and snap the ball immediately after it's completed. We do it more than it's needed that's for sure. 

• Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

Knowing the defense scheme has value beyond just changing plays. It helps you understand where to look for coverage as you move through your progressions. It helps you predict where a receiver is likely to have an open window. It helps you predict where pressure might come from.