• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Oracle: USF football losing student support

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  453
  • Days Won:  1

t your average student only has around 28 opportunities to attend a game as a student in their lifetime.

This is a solid point. Should be on some posters around campus.

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,430
  • Days Won:  19

OCS will give a bump in attendance, but not by much unless we are winning. 

Ray J IS far away for students. When your days consist of walking to class, walking back to your dorm, walking to go eat, and on the weekends driving no more than 3 miles to the local bars, an 11 mile drive seems like 50. 

I call BS!!  Clearwater Beach and Ybor are loaded with USF kids every weekend, and a ride to RayJay is provided if you don't want to drive.  So, the, "it's too far" thing doesn't fly.  Would there be more students if it were on campus?  Sure.

also loaded with FSU & UF fans too..

probably more so... just saying

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

t your average student only has around 28 opportunities to attend a game as a student in their lifetime.

That's not true at all. They have literally hundreds of opportunities to attend sporting events and support USF. Or are we only counting football games as a limited, once in a lifetime, chance they're squandering?

Edited by JTrue

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

We are replacing the students with these:

PJ-AX090_SP_FEA_G_20100921211410.jpg

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,430
  • Days Won:  19

We could always start paying fans to show up!

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

Creating a tradition of winning like at UF and FSU will sustain a fan base even through some lean years. We were headed that direction but everything changed when Leavitt was fired (justifiably or not). We've effectively squandered what we had built over those first ten years. Hopefully CWT can recapture the magic. Jury's still out, but regardless, it will take time.

I'm as big a proponent of an OCS as anyone, but without a doubt the only way to sustainably increase attendance is winning. That can be done at RJS.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  211
  • Content Count:  1,829
  • Days Won:  1

Another idea think this has been stated already. Move all the games to the soccer field! Bam instant sell out every time!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,719
  • Days Won:  109

We all have to stop blaming the students for their lack of attendence. RJS is not on campus so the students get a major pass. The SUNDOME last season the students showed up pretty good. I am pretty sure an OCS would cure student attendence. It is the rest of TAMPA BAY that deserves the blame for low overall attendence. This is on them not the students. 

You mean the 300 of the 40,000 students?  I was at every game.  There were a few games when we may have had close to 1,000 but most times it was same 300 or so.

I don't know. I really thought the students showed up pretty good last year for most of the games .... maybe I'm remembering wrong .... but it still seemed to be a heckuvalot more than the previous year, though.

It was better than the previous year but still nothing worth bragging about IMO.  When I met Coach O at the baseball conference game I mentioned that his biggest challenge will be to play a brand of basketball that gets the students excited.  There is little he can do about the people that sit in the club section and rarely cheer or yell.  When the students are engaged it changes the atmosphere in the Dome.

Edited by CousinRicky

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

That's not true at all. They have literally hundreds of opportunities to attend sporting events and support USF. Or are we only counting football games as a limited, once in a lifetime, chance they're squandering?

*sigh* .... Yes, I was talking specifically about football. I'm guessing that for most, not all, of the schools that have football, that student experience would be the most enduring.