• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Coach Taggart Show on 98.7

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  315
  • Days Won:  3

I didn't see another thread on this but I caught most of it while doing deliveries so I figured I would post what I thought was notable.

- When asked if there were any parts of the team that after watching the tape he thought performed better than he thought they did during the game, his immediate response was pass protection from the offensive line.  He acknowledged that it was tough at 1st with a few starters going injured but by the 2nd quarter he felt that they were giving the QB plenty of time in the pocket to make a good throw.    What was interesting to me is he didn't have to think for a moment about the answer.    I got the feeling that during the game he was blaming White's struggles on the O-Line but afterwards realized that really wasn't the case.   It explains to me why White didn't get benched.

- He said that everyone is rooting for White to do well, but he needs to do better on game day.  He didn't exactly say that White will be on a short leash this weekend but you could read between the lines just by hearing it in his voice.  He obviously doesn't want to kill the kid's confidence by benching him so early in the year, but I could tell that Taggart's patience with him is going to run really thin, really quickly. 

- When asked if he felt Maryland would adjust their game plan now for Mack or just do what they normally do, he said he felt that Maryland would just do what they do.   I hope he's full of ****.  I'm afraid he isn't though.  Maryland is going to make adjustments to stop the one great thing we have shown on offense in a long time.  The Bulls need to game plan accordingly. 

-  He said that he was actually glad the team had to face a lot of adversity on Saturday between the weather delay and losing early in the game, and he sounded sincere.   He said when the team got down early the freshman were all going around telling everyone it's going to be alright and that they just need to keep fighting.   He started to refer to how the team was last year, (essentially the "here we go again") attitude, but stopped and said he doesn't talk about last years team anymore.  I liked that.  He is preaching that last season is in the past and has nothing to do with what happens this season, and he is holding himself to that standard too.

- He said that allowing 30+ completions on hitch and basic out routes is unacceptable and will be fixed this week.   I could tell that pissed him off and I am sure he chewed out Bresnahan and his defense this week.  He holds the defense right now to a higher standard.

Overall I liked what I heard this week for one reason.  Last year on these shows when he talked about the Bulls winning football games, it was always in the future tense.  Essentially he was acknowledging in the best way possible that they sucked but needed to take their licks and improve from them.   On this show he talked about the team winning right now, and the things that they are doing that will lead to wins right now.  

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Thanks man; great post and nice reads

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  184
  • Days Won:  0

Thanks man; great post and nice reads

+1 Thanks for posting the recap Superhippy

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Agree, good read, thanks for taking the time for those of us that couldn't listen. I definitely like the "that team is in the past" comments about last year, and LOVE that the freshmen didn't accept that attitude.

• Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  334
  • Days Won:  0

Agreed. Thanksk for the post.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,470
  • Days Won:  25

Most of that was from the Beef O'Brady's show last night. Couldn't here very well from my seat, but did get those comments.

He also said that Cameron Ruff will be just fine in Thor's absence.

Best line of the night, and I didn't catch the name, but he was talking about a freshman that "wants to shorten someone's neck." LOVE IT!

GO BULLS!

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

Superhippy - Thanks for posting the cliff notes version for us out of towners.  Good to hear that he addressed the White situation and the defense.  Tomorrow should be an interesting afternoon...go Bulls!