• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Reading inbetween the lines. Breezy sandbagged against WCU.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,705
  • Days Won:  3

For you non twitter people, based on this JK tweet.

Joey Knight @TBTimes_Bulls  ·  2h

Bresnahan: "We gave them limited tools because we wanted to see them run, play fast, and they did that." #USF

Man i didn't realize I post in Yoda speak sometimes.

So we let WCU almost beat us? Considering the McNeese State debacle last year, it sounds like someone on that coaching staff sure likes playing with fire.

New defense, new players in different positions ... Sounds like he wanted them to react more than think, just get their feet wet in this first game under real fire. As has been pointed out, they changed things up a bit in the 2nd and 3rd quarters and only allowed a field goal.

This. 

I doubt the holding back of any plays, tools, weapons etc was done to game plan vs Maryland. We have a young inexperienced team and it showed. Any adding of tools is just building on the playbook as these kids learn. Our schedule actually positions us well for conference play. FCS team to get the feet wet, 2 solid teams, easy conference game, another solid team then we should have some good experience to build on going through the conference slate. Hopefully with a 3-2 record, but likely a 2-3. From there on magic can happen. 

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  957
  • Days Won:  1

This makes a lot of sense and perfectly explained why it appeared in the first half that absolutely no advance scouting had taken place on the WCU offense at all.

It nearly burned USF and I think Bresnahan deserves a good lecture from Taggart for it. I don't care how experienced Bresnahan is.

Edited by ckparrothead

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

I don't get it. We'll have to show our full toolset prior to going into the AAC games (the ones that really matter), so why not put them to the test ASAP so we're honed & ready? They definitely played soft & non-aggressive though, so I sure hope that's what he was doing. Just don't think it was wise, but time will tell.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

This makes a lot of sense and perfectly explained why it appeared in the first half that absolutely no advance scouting had taken place on the WCU offense at all.

It nearly burned USF and I think Bresnahan deserves a good lecture from Taggart for it. I don't care how experienced Bresnahan is.

You don't think they discuss that stuff before the game?

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Come on Trip. We all know that the coaches have no idea what they are doing. Why would the DC discuss a game plan with the head coach. No adjustments during the game. Shows how lucky Bresnahan got with the D last year. Obviously the guy has just been getting by on his good looks in the NFL for the previous 20 years or so before coming here.

The whole staff should be fired immediately. We are a bad team and there is no plan to fix it. They are all here just to collect those gift paychecks.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  360
  • Days Won:  0

I can't say how much I want this to be true, but if it is then I agree......playing with fire

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  307

Very smart by Bres imo. You want to see what players can just go out and make plays and beat the guy lined up across from them. Make their own reads, get off blocks, make tackles, practice shifting the defense as the offense shifts, etc. And if the offense capitalizes on the first two turnovers the defense got, then you can keep playing that way all game. When the offense violation the bed, thats when we had to adjust the defense and actually gameplan for a quarter or two. And we shut them down when we did that. I wouldn't say it was playing with fire, because as soon as we needed them too we turned up the heat and could have kept it on like that all game if it was closer. The reason Bres was so pissed about the scores(especially the late ones) is because even without mismatches giving us an advantage he still wants our guys to make the stops.

Basically Bres took himself out of the game and wanted to see what his players can do. Instead of us taking away what WCU can do best(the wr screen), we lined up and said okay lets see if we can beat them at their best with one hand tied behind out back. I promise you he still did his homework on WCU and we knew their play calls, etc. Its called a warm up, he let his guys get punched in the mouth a little bit and see how they respond. It wasn't pretty but it wasn't as bad as you all think it was either. The negatives I still saw were our DB's don't know how to get off a cut block to save their life and we were a little slow reading and reacting. There is no way to break up those screens with the scheme we were playing, but more of them should have been for little to no yardage.

But now this next game we can go out and exert our defense on Maryland and they won't know what is coming either. Do I expect us to do a complete 180 and not give up a single point to a much better school? No. But I think you will be much happier with the defensive scheme and see how we are actually doing different things to disrupt their offense.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  957

I'm sure they do. But I think Taggart will usually defer to his well-experienced defensive coordinator on the issue. When it doesn't work, that's when you have a come to Jesus discussion with him suggesting you're a little less likely to defer to his judgment next time.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

Here's the whole article that little snippet that everybody's jumping on is from .... 

TAMPA -- In the wake of Western Carolina's bubble-screen clinic Saturday night at Raymond James Stadium, Bulls defensive coordinator Chuck Bresnahan said his unit will be given "more tools" with which to defend the short passing game.

Western Carolina amassed 454 yards -- 374 in the air -- in the Bulls' 36-31 win last weekend. Maryland, which comes to Raymond James Stadium on Saturday, also will try to spread the Bulls defense from sideline to sideline while taking more shots downfield. WCU's longest play from scrimmage, on a missed corner blitz, went for only 36 yards.

"The game plan throughout the week was to not let any balls go over our head," sophomore S Nate Godwin said.

"We gave 'em limited tools because we wanted to see them run, play fast, and they did," Bresnahan added.

"Now we'll add some more tools to help with the dink and dunk, the perimeter passing game, so we'll help our players that way as a coaching staff. For the bottom line, the first game, the way they fought through adversity and did some real positive things that way, I'm happy. Do we have a lot of work to do? Heck yeah, and I think it was obvious and we've got a heck of an opponent this week, so we've got our work cut out for us."

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/