• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Papa Holtz spit it out the best ....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  344
  • Days Won:  1

Lou Holtz is one of the better ESPN commentators.  He doesn't get too wrapped up in their hype of one team or another (or conference for that matter).  The only teams he favors are ND and SC (for obvious reasons).  He gives everyone a fair chance.

Lou Holtz is reading whatever someone tells him to read. He only favors ND and SC cause they are the only two teams he can remember week in and week out. Guy was a great coach and even a decent broadcaster for a while. Now he is a shining example of how you can stay in your position far too long.

Lou Holtz often has clashes of opinion with other commentators on who is good and who isn't.  He's usually right too.  He favors ND and South Carolina because he coached at both schools for a good while.  But he also makes those biases known to the public.  He likes old school matchups and he doesn't always buy into the dominance of the SEC or the Power 5.  He gives teams a fair chance.  I'll always like him better than anyone else on that network.  At least he's fair and honest.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  315
  • Days Won:  3

I actually agree with Mark May here more then Holtz.

Bama played a West Virginia team that went 4-8 last year and only beat them by 10.  On top of that Clint Trickett threw the ball all over them and racked up 365 yards.   Stack that with the fact that they lost to Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl last year, and I don't think it's a stretch by any means to say that Bama should not be penciled into the playoff by any means.

Same deal with Ohio State.  They played a Navy team that went 9-4 last season and nearly every single one of their wins were against teams that didn't make a bowl game.  Ohio State was losing late in the 3rd quarter.   I wouldn't call them a lock to get into the title game either.

You can evaluate a team after one week.  It doesn't mean you can project a teams entire season but you can no doubt see where teams weaknesses and strengths are. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,584
  • Days Won:  423

Bama played a West Virginia team that went 4-8 last year and only beat them by 10.  On top of that Clint Trickett threw the ball all over them and racked up 365 yards.   Stack that with the fact that they lost to Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl last year, and I don't think it's a stretch by any means to say that Bama should not be penciled into the playoff by any means.

Same deal with Ohio State.  They played a Navy team that went 9-4 last season and nearly every single one of their wins were against teams that didn't make a bowl game.  Ohio State was losing late in the 3rd quarter.   I wouldn't call them a lock to get into the title game either.

You can evaluate a team after one week.  It doesn't mean you can project a teams entire season but you can no doubt see where teams weaknesses and strengths are. 

That's all Dr Holtz was saying, and he was a lot more right than May, which was just useless ESPN fill-in babble. Auburn started out last year having a lot more trouble with Wazzu that Bama had with WVU.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  315
  • Days Won:  3

That's all Dr Holtz was saying, and he was a lot more right than May, which was just useless ESPN fill-in babble. Auburn started out last year having a lot more trouble with Wazzu that Bama had with WVU.

I agree.  I don't think either were really wrong.   If you told me even after week 10 that Auburn would have made the title game still having to play Georgia, Bama, and Mizzou I would have thought you were crazy, but they pulled it off.

The only team that I have penciled into the title game is Florida State and I'm not even sure about them.   If I was betting on it, I would say they lose to either Notre Dame or Louisville, and if they lose to Louisville it will keep them out of the ACC title game, which would be a killer.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Lou Holtz is one of the better ESPN commentators.  He doesn't get too wrapped up in their hype of one team or another (or conference for that matter).  The only teams he favors are ND and SC (for obvious reasons).  He gives everyone a fair chance.

He used to favor us, too.  

Even over ND, but also for obvious reasons.

I think he's a great feature commentator in CFB. Having spent his life in football, I think it's awesome that he's able to laugh at it and just shrug his shoulders sometimes--that's realistic and humble at the same time.

• Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  334
  • Days Won:  0

This thread needs more Lu Holtz bumblebee quotes.

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

We have a knack for playing to the level of our opponents. I generally agree that it is hard to measure a team by the first game of the season.  However, in our situation we are still dealing with a quarterback situation, and without improvement, I cannot imagine this is going to be a good season.  Thank G-D for Mack!

• Topic Count:  9,896
  • Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

one of my old girlfriends said hotlz looks like a penius

a funny line

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  613
  • Days Won:  2

SMAZZA YOU HAVE FUNNY GIRLFRIENDS