• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

WCU seemed to be attacking....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

meh....their whole offense was screen passes for the most part. Their QB hardly every kept it for more than 2 seconds unless the pressure was on. We likely wont see that kind of offense again for the rest of the season so I wouldnt use last night as our defensive barometer. Just look at the first two games from last year. All about matchups.

Really? You don't think opposing coaches will watch game tape to see what our weaknesses are? Expect another heavy dose

I think they will pepper it in there. Especially if they think we arent expecting it. I would expect to see it in the red zone to be honest. They arent going to change their entire game plan for us. They arent going to make the QB learn a bunch of new throws and plays just for us. If anything, they will incorporate our weaknesses into the strengths of their current offense. 

• Topic Count:  138
  • Content Count:  3,594
  • Days Won:  3

I still believe we played a vanilla defense most of the game. Once we needed to buckle down and stop them (in that third quarter) we looked pretty good.

We will see what our defense will look like all season starting tomorrow

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

When we actually moved DB's up the WR screen wasn't working for them.

Exactly.  But we didn't stick to that.  We reverted back to a soft zone.  Don't understand it.

I don't either, but we went back to it after going up 30-17. Should have just stayed with what was working.

maybe they wanted to work on an area of weakness?

maybe they weren't concerned with getting a blowout.?

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,457
  • Days Won:  25

Why is anyone surprised to see our db's playing so far off the receiver? We've done it for years.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  0

My take is the game plan was that Western Carolina was going to be down many touchdowns so they would have had to keep going for it and therefore more turnovers would have happened  Because the offense did not execute it allowed the Western Carolina game plan to work.  So this is more on the offense than the defense. Coach T said as much when he said that we played soft.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  980
  • Days Won:  2

When we actually moved DB's up the WR screen wasn't working for them.

Exactly.  But we didn't stick to that.  We reverted back to a soft zone.  Don't understand it.  

No sense in keeping the pressure on - that was working too well.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  980
  • Days Won:  2

I still believe we played a vanilla defense most of the game. Once we needed to buckle down and stop them (in that third quarter) we looked pretty good.

We will see what our defense will look like all season starting tomorrow

+1