• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

News-Press: Coaches, players giving USF receiver Andre Davis a hand

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,076
  • Days Won:  469

Coaches, players giving USF receiver Andre Davis a hand

Craig Handel, chandel@news-press.com 9:05 p.m. EDT August 26, 2014

TAMPA – The reviews are in.

“Exceptional. Out of this world,” said South Florida center Austin Reiter.

“Wow. Wow. Every time he does that, I tell the quarterback to go over and shake his hand,” USF coach Willie Taggart added.

They are talking about Bulls’ senior receiver Andre Davis and his one-handed catches. A senior wide receiver from Tampa Jefferson, Davis could be ready for a breakout season after amassing 117 catches in his career.

Davis is equal parts proud and almost nonchalant when he talks about his abilities.

“I’ve been making one-handed catches since high school,” he said. “I had a couple of catches in the state championship game. I practice it a lot. It’s kind of usual for me.”

A connoisseur of such feats, Davis said he watches players, including Buffalo Bills wideout Sammy Watkins.

“I’ve seen a couple,” he said. “He slips, then he grabs the ball. Another, he came across the middle on a drag or whip route, then grabbed it with his left hand.”

Style is fun to watch, but it’s substance that wins games and Davis thinks USF’s addition of offensive coordinator Paul Wulff has added .....

Rest of Story

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,619
  • Days Won:  51

I can't wait for the season!!! I think we are going to surprise a lot of folks.

• Topic Count:  36
  • Content Count:  2,114
  • Days Won:  2

This guy had instant chemistry with White. I think he could put up great stats this year, especially with a more experienced White and bigger OL.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Love Andre, but he'd better lose the one-handed habit at the next level, unless it's necessary.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/news/story?id=4420988

Edited by GaUSFBull

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

Good receivers try to get into position so they don't have to catch with one hand, and certainly don't practice for it. Wish Taggart wouldn't feed into that.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Good receivers try to get into position so they don't have to catch with one hand, and certainly don't practice for it. Wish Taggart wouldn't feed into that.

So QB's never make bad throws? Got it. 

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  3,355
  • Days Won:  5

Yeap. I want to shut the ******* 98.7 Fan up.  Sick of those fags. We will turn some heads.

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  761
  • Days Won:  1

Yeap. I want to shut the ******* 98.7 Fan up. Sick of those fags. We will turn some heads.

Whoa! Dont think you need to go an call them that. I tend to think 98.7 speaks pretty well on USF. Again I think the perception here is since they dont talk about us all the time and say we are going to win the Natl Championship, they think we suck or irrelevant. I know the biggest supporter is the Commish, but not eberyone is going to be like him when it comes to USF

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

This board has had our gripes with Andre over the years but he's been nothing but consistent.

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

So QB's never make bad throws? Got it. 

I remember hearing a story back in the day on one of the recruiting sites about a coach (non-USF) that was recruiting Andre. Davis was bragging about making one-handed catches, and the coach told him that a focus on one-handed catches was for showboats, not serious football players. Davis didn't want to play for him.

If Andre had spent more time watching relevant game film and less Watkins highlight-reel, maybe he would have been playing as well as he did the second half of last season (when he admitted in a TBT article that he hadn't been putting in proper effort on that front before). He's just a frustrating player because he's never done it when it counts, and playing into this braggadocio is not good for him as a player.