• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

New NCAA Structure

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,619
  • Days Won:  51

If a couple of NonP5 schools filed a lawsuit they could potentially keep this tied up in the courts for a long time and maybe force the big guys to let us in

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

if USF was part of that contingent, we'd never get into a P5

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  315
  • Days Won:  3

Honestly I don't think this is as big of a deal as it's being made out to be for a few reasons.

1. The P5 schools already have a massive advantage over the schools from the other conferences.  USF this year had the best recruiting class out of all of the Non-P5 schools in the country and we were ranked about 39th to 43rd depending on where you look.  Having the ability to now give the players "officially" up to $5,000 each per year and having locked in scholarships for 4 years is not going to bury the lower teams because quite frankly they are already buried.   Usually by the end of the season there are 3 or 4 teams from Non-P5 conferences in the top 25 rankings, and it will most likely stay that way anyways.   The only difference now is that P5 schools can now do it legally instead of getting sanctions against them because let's be honest, they were already doing this.  Everyone keeps saying "The rich are going to get richer."  but I just don't see it making a huge difference.  Maybe a total of 25 - 30 3-star recruits around the country go to a P5 school instead of a different one but there were only a few legitimate options in the non-P5 schools anyways.

2. The P5 schools are still going to play schools from lower conferences.   Just look at Florida's OOC schedule this year.  Idaho, Eastern Michigan, Eastern Kentucky, FSU.  Or Bama's, West Virginia, FAU, Southern Miss, Western Carolina.   These schools make sure to schedule atleast 3 games per year as automatic wins, and basically bye weeks where they have to play.  There is zero chance whatsoever that all of a sudden Florida is going to replace those awful teams with 3 P5 teams.  Zero.   On top of that teams like Florida and Bama stack their schedule to make sure they play 8 home games per season.  If they start facing other P5 teams they will lose atleast 1 home game, and there is no chance that will happen.

3. The AAC, C-USA, MAC, Mountain West, and Sunbelt will all be allowed to make their own rules within a year or two.  There is absolutely no way the NCAA will be able to hold the other conferences to their set of rules, while they just allowed the other conferences to do whatever they want.  No Chance.   It won't hold up in the court system either.    This is really the biggest reason why everyone needs to calm down about all of this.   Aresco can't do anything to stop the P5 schools from making their own rules, but theres no doubt in my mind that he will say that the AAC can make it's own rules too.  If the P5 conferences then decide to vote against it then it's an easy anti-trust lawsuit because it will be clear that they are just trying to squeeze everyone else out, instead of trying to make their own conferences better.

4. The P5 schools by doing this are about to destroy college footballs popularity and their own bank accounts.   5 years ago college football was close to 15% of Americans favorite sport to watch.  The polls that came out earlier this year had it down to 11%.  College Football attendance last season was the lowest it has been in a long time.  TV ratings overall were also way down.   Now by alienating fans of the non-P5 schools as well as alienating fans who like to watch "true amateur sports.", they are just going to keep losing viewers.     I really don't think this is the "rich keep getting richer", it's closer to the college football greed bubble is about to burst. 

5. I have a gut feeling that the Non-P5 schools may call the bluff like WWMJD is saying.   America loves rooting for the little guy.  It's just always been that way.  If the Non-P5 schools spit it make in the P5 schools face and drag this out publicly it will help the image of those conferences and the schools in them.   It's a pretty easy sales pitch to recruits actually.

"Do you want to play for a school that hires mercenaries and just want you to make them millions of dollars, or do you want to come to a school that wants YOU as part of our family where we have a chance to go out and shut those mercenary teams down."

It sounds corny but when you are pitching that to a 17 year old kid and their parents it will make a big impact.

the states involved in p5 will get protection from congress

there will be no big antitrust lawsuit fellas and my desk is filled with "antitrust lawyers"  resumes looking to work in the pi field

I honestly see it the other way around.   The state of Florida is heavily invested in UF, FSU, and Miami which are all P5, but they are also heavily invested in USF ,UCF, FAU, and FIU.  Same goes for a lot of other states like Ohio and Texas with other state schools in smaller conferences.  What's more likely is that congress will way that conferences can make their own rules, but every conference has to be allowed to make their own rules.

• Topic Count:  2,345
  • Content Count:  21,365
  • Days Won:  10

the states involved in p5 will get protection from congress

there will be no big antitrust lawsuit fellas and my desk is filled with "antitrust lawyers"  resumes looking to work in the pi field

Why do you fill your desk with "antitrust lawyers"?  Do you chop them up to fit in your drawers? 

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11320309/majority-power-five-coaches-want-power-five-only-schedules

By the way here's the list of coaches that want there to be P5 only schedules and the ones that think that is wrong, just so everyone knows what side of the fence people are on.    I think it's great though that coaches such as Charlie Strong, Brian Kelly, Urban Meyer, Gary Patterson all come from smaller schools and think the P5 only schedules are wrong.   The one that pretty much enrages me though is Chris Peterson.  Seriously,  The guy made a name and a career for himself at Boise State by beating a whole ton of P5 conference schools, and he thinks the P5 teams should only face eachother.   Lost a ton of respect for him after seeing this.

• Upvote 1

Honestly I don't think this is as big of a deal as it's being made out to be for a few reasons.

1. The P5 schools already have a massive advantage over the schools from the other conferences.  USF this year had the best recruiting class out of all of the Non-P5 schools in the country and we were ranked about 39th to 43rd depending on where you look.  Having the ability to now give the players "officially" up to $5,000 each per year and having locked in scholarships for 4 years is not going to bury the lower teams because quite frankly they are already buried.   Usually by the end of the season there are 3 or 4 teams from Non-P5 conferences in the top 25 rankings, and it will most likely stay that way anyways.   The only difference now is that P5 schools can now do it legally instead of getting sanctions against them because let's be honest, they were already doing this.  Everyone keeps saying "The rich are going to get richer."  but I just don't see it making a huge difference.  Maybe a total of 25 - 30 3-star recruits around the country go to a P5 school instead of a different one but there were only a few legitimate options in the non-P5 schools anyways.

2. The P5 schools are still going to play schools from lower conferences.   Just look at Florida's OOC schedule this year.  Idaho, Eastern Michigan, Eastern Kentucky, FSU.  Or Bama's, West Virginia, FAU, Southern Miss, Western Carolina.   These schools make sure to schedule atleast 3 games per year as automatic wins, and basically bye weeks where they have to play.  There is zero chance whatsoever that all of a sudden Florida is going to replace those awful teams with 3 P5 teams.  Zero.   On top of that teams like Florida and Bama stack their schedule to make sure they play 8 home games per season.  If they start facing other P5 teams they will lose atleast 1 home game, and there is no chance that will happen.

3. The AAC, C-USA, MAC, Mountain West, and Sunbelt will all be allowed to make their own rules within a year or two.  There is absolutely no way the NCAA will be able to hold the other conferences to their set of rules, while they just allowed the other conferences to do whatever they want.  No Chance.   It won't hold up in the court system either.    This is really the biggest reason why everyone needs to calm down about all of this.   Aresco can't do anything to stop the P5 schools from making their own rules, but theres no doubt in my mind that he will say that the AAC can make it's own rules too.  If the P5 conferences then decide to vote against it then it's an easy anti-trust lawsuit because it will be clear that they are just trying to squeeze everyone else out, instead of trying to make their own conferences better.

4. The P5 schools by doing this are about to destroy college footballs popularity and their own bank accounts.   5 years ago college football was close to 15% of Americans favorite sport to watch.  The polls that came out earlier this year had it down to 11%.  College Football attendance last season was the lowest it has been in a long time.  TV ratings overall were also way down.   Now by alienating fans of the non-P5 schools as well as alienating fans who like to watch "true amateur sports.", they are just going to keep losing viewers.     I really don't think this is the "rich keep getting richer", it's closer to the college football greed bubble is about to burst. 

5. I have a gut feeling that the Non-P5 schools may call the bluff like WWMJD is saying.   America loves rooting for the little guy.  It's just always been that way.  If the Non-P5 schools spit it make in the P5 schools face and drag this out publicly it will help the image of those conferences and the schools in them.   It's a pretty easy sales pitch to recruits actually.

"Do you want to play for a school that hires mercenaries and just want you to make them millions of dollars, or do you want to come to a school that wants YOU as part of our family where we have a chance to go out and shut those mercenary teams down."

It sounds corny but when you are pitching that to a 17 year old kid and their parents it will make a big impact.

I think you are wrong on almost every point except #5

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11320309/majority-power-five-coaches-want-power-five-only-schedules

By the way here's the list of coaches that want there to be P5 only schedules and the ones that think that is wrong, just so everyone knows what side of the fence people are on.    I think it's great though that coaches such as Charlie Strong, Brian Kelly, Urban Meyer, Gary Patterson all come from smaller schools and think the P5 only schedules are wrong.   The one that pretty much enrages me though is Chris Peterson.  Seriously,  The guy made a name and a career for himself at Boise State by beating a whole ton of P5 conference schools, and he thinks the P5 teams should only face eachother.   Lost a ton of respect for him after seeing this.

You just contradicted your earlier post about P5 teams continuing to schedule the nonP5 teams. Also the playoff will go to 8 teams because with only 4 spots at LEAST one P5 conference will be locked out. In 5 years the playoff will be one from each P5 conference plus the next 3 highest ranked teams. Almost guaranteeing no non P5 team will get in.

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

AAC teams will not vote against it...

AAC is trying to say we want the same things they do and we want to be at the table.... 

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

@American_Conf: American Athletic Conference Statement On NCAA Governance Redesign http://t.co/7iUPfWR8ft