• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Harlan: we can't have 15,000 people in Ray-J and expect to jump to the Big 12."

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  423
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

"We can't have 15,000 in Ray-J"

USF has to do a lot to change the atmosphere and game day experience. 

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  1,304
  • Days Won:  2

Pittsburgh played the Big East like a harp from hell.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I always think what if just Marinatto would have accepted that original ESPN deal back when they offered the BIG East I think it was 17 million dollars a team for the TV deal?  That's what pissed off the Cuse and Pitt and is why they bolted.  That is what started the dominoes of WVU leaving then of course now Louisville and Rutgers.  If we could have kept that league with Louisville, WVU,Cincy,Pitt, Cuse,USF,Uconn,Rutgers and then added 4 teams like UCF,Boise State,TCU,Houston to get to 12.  That would have been a pretty good league.  On top of that the BIG East bball conference would have stayed in tact.

I could have sworn that it was the Pitt AD who advised Marinatto not to take the deal. 

IMO, the BE was doomed, no matter what. 

ESPN offered Pitt and Cuse entrance into the ACC so that they wouldn't have to pay the entire Big East.  Pitt and Cuse were never going to vote for a deal.  The original offer was never real.

This.  And it wasn't Marianetto's decision, only the school president's could sign off on the deal.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,721
  • Days Won:  109

Carry on then, I just think you've got an inflated view of where we came from, conference wise, to where we are now. With very few exceptions, maybe just one, there were no conference foes that were a really big draw on their own. Is a 3-7 Tulane team marching into Tampa really that big of a drop from a 3-7 Syracuse or UConn team marching in? Don't think so. Like you said, not winning is a huge reason for the 15K .... It wasn't the opponent.

UConn, maybe not, but you're crazy if you think that slowly replacing Louisville, WVU, and Syracuse with Tulane, ECU, and Memphis hasn't contributed (or will contribute) to the current attendance issues.

Just FYI we brought a team called FSU into Ray Jay.  Those weren't USF fans filling over 1/2 the seats that day.  So much for bringing in good teams to draw USF fans.  The reason attendance was so good against FSU, L'ville and WVU is that they brought a ton of fans with them (not counting that 2007 game).

And the real question is ...

When will WE travel like that?

When we do, then mayeb - just maybe - we'll be P5 material again.

When we fill Ray Jay or any on campus stadium on a regular basis, say 30 years or so, if ever.

• Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  2,233
  • Days Won:  6

Carry on then, I just think you've got an inflated view of where we came from, conference wise, to where we are now. With very few exceptions, maybe just one, there were no conference foes that were a really big draw on their own. Is a 3-7 Tulane team marching into Tampa really that big of a drop from a 3-7 Syracuse or UConn team marching in? Don't think so. Like you said, not winning is a huge reason for the 15K .... It wasn't the opponent.

UConn, maybe not, but you're crazy if you think that slowly replacing Louisville, WVU, and Syracuse with Tulane, ECU, and Memphis hasn't contributed (or will contribute) to the current attendance issues.

Just FYI we brought a team called FSU into Ray Jay.  Those weren't USF fans filling over 1/2 the seats that day.  So much for bringing in good teams to draw USF fans.  The reason attendance was so good against FSU, L'ville and WVU is that they brought a ton of fans with them (not counting that 2007 game).

We did when we played FSU in Tally and the first time we played UCIF in the Citrus Dump.  Also a decent road crowd for ND, Auburn and UCF this past year. 

Good thing for those of us that ACUTALLY do travel to away games, Tickets are Usually always avail thru USF and we get decent seats.   (cant wait for Wisconsin this year)  Should be a blast.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

Again??

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

"We can't have 15,000 in Ray-J"

USF has to do a lot to change the atmosphere and game day experience. 

Just win ... 

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,705
  • Days Won:  3

USF football is a great story that has yet to fully unfold. The excitement we had was because we were a young team that was establishing itself quickly. Sadly for better or worse the CJL situation happened, we made a mistake we hired CSH. It is a bump in the road. I fully believe we can develop that unique story again with CWT, not only will we start winning more games again but it will be an exciting story again. That will put butts in seats and eyes on TV sets. CWT needs 5-6 wins this yes, I personally expect 7 (realistic or not, it is just where I hold my expectations for this team).

I agree we should close the upper bowl, there is no need for it unless we sell out the lower 2. It should be purely overflow. Reduce the price of tickets and cut back the student section. I love the family plan we have and we need to make it an easy affordable decision for people to take their families to on any given weekend. Keep the 50's as a premium but just have a steeper gradation of pricing levels. 

I do not know how the deal is structured with concessions, I believe ray jay gets it all. It would be nice to see a commission off some of that in any future deals and just get the ticket pricing to a point where it is easy to fill the house. 

It would be great to have an OCS however I fully enjoy the NFL experience at Ray Jay even when I was a student and had to drive down there. 

I doubt it gets fixed this year, but I bet we will be a good ways on the right track towards the end of the season. We flat out floundered last year with everyone figuring out what to do, the year before everyone quit on CSH. This is the year the excitement builds. Next year we should have some pretty solid QB options with White having 2 years and Flowers having a year not to mention whoever else we recruit. 

I personally bumped up for some extra seats this year for friends and family, and I will be traveling to at least 1 road game. I hope others are feeling it as well. Lets not be so down on ourselves. 

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

^^ Ned, dude, you were on a roll with the double-posts, now you're stepping it up to a triple!?

[edit]

There's an "edit" feature...

Edited by raptorcj
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  315
  • Days Won:  3

I hate to be a downer on this topic but I don't think the Bulls ever start drawing 40k a game again.   Yes I think if we start winning it will increase attendance, but I don't care how good their record is, there is no chance at all that we are going to pull in massive crowds against teams like Temple, SMU, ECU, Tulsa, and Tulane.    You are just not.

My absolute most MASSIVE worry for next year though is this.   We don't draw a massive crowd for the UCF game.    If we draw some 25k small crowd for a game against what is supposed to be our bitter rival, then this program is in big trouble.  If we do huge 55k+ numbers then I think there is hope for the future, but I just really doubt it.   The buzz surrounding USF football these days is pretty much nothing.