• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,504
  • Days Won:  43

Doc Saturday is obviously a quack. That wasn't a late season, down the stretch collapse ... it was a mid season collapse. 2005 was a LSDTS collapse.

Yeah but all USF had to do was beat Rutgers and that would have set the tone for the rest of the schedule which was not as tough as the early part of the schedule. So it was a collapse. No way around it. How do you go on the road and beat Auburn then beat WVU at home only to lose to FN Rutgers? 

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

Doc Saturday is obviously a quack. That wasn't a late season, down the stretch collapse ... it was a mid season collapse. 2005 was a LSDTS collapse.

Yeah but all USF had to do was beat Rutgers and that would have set the tone for the rest of the schedule which was not as tough as the early part of the schedule. So it was a collapse. No way around it. How do you go on the road and beat Auburn then beat WVU at home only to lose to FN Rutgers? 

Illegal forward propulsion, that's how.

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

Didn't say it wasn't a collapse. It wasn't a late season, down the stretch collapse like the list Quack Saturday was putting together ...

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,433
  • Days Won:  3

Once our starters began to get hurt many of our back-ups were still players recruited from our C-USA days. The talent began falling off and we couldn't keep up. Its all speculation now but give CJL a couple more BCS conference recruiting classes and we could've maintained success. 

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

Once our starters began to get hurt many of our back-ups were still players recruited from our C-USA days. The talent began falling off and we couldn't keep up. Its all speculation now but give CJL a couple more BCS conference recruiting classes and we could've maintained success. 

A point many people forget. 2007 was USF's 3rd year in the Old BEast

And not just injuries but fatigue as well.  There was no depth to rotate the players as what was needed.

That was one of the reasons at the time I was willing to give Leavitt 1-2 more years

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

The sad part about it was the BE officiating crew. Worst ever.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

replacement-NFL-refs-suck-meme-1.jpg

• Topic Count:  33
  • Content Count:  1,719
  • Days Won:  6

the illegal forward propulsion call, i think, is the exact moment the USF football program lurched from full throttle to reverse. it has been a downhill trajectory ever since, with a few nice moments (ND, Clemson) thrown in to take the metaphorical barrell out of my mouth for just one more game... now all it seems there is to go on is "potential" to turn this thing back around.

but yeah... the IFP call was like a stab in the heart to the program and we've been watching it bleed out with a few fighting kicks and spasms for the past 7 years. at least that's how it's felt to me as a fan and (more importantly) alum.

in the imaginary land of supposition and "what if's," had those refs got that call right the entire future of Big East football could have changed... at the very least the future of the USF football program. i honestly don't believe USF would have gone to the BCSNCG that year-- they likely would have been snubbed or dropped to 3rd after the "major" conference championship games, or the lack of depth would have led to a less painful "collapse" later on-- but USF in a BCS bowl would have made the conference look stronger than simply WVU taking it (again), and may have made us more attractive target for realignment.

but whatever... 12-0 or 0-12 this isn't just my team it's my school.

• Topic Count:  33
  • Content Count:  1,719
  • Days Won:  6

i can say this... USF has provided some of the greatest highs and lowest lows i've ever experienced as a sports fan.

nothing sports related, to this date, has been as surreal as witnessing USF beat the Tigers in Auburn.

and only a few things-- the Helmet Catch in SBXLII, Game 7 of the 2010 NBA Finals-- sting as much as the Rutgers IFP call.

the immediate effect was like being punched in the nuts by Mike Tyson in his prime, then the lingering feeling was a "my girlfriend just broke up with me for my worst enemy and leaked a sex tape on InstaGram" type of chest-hurt for the entire week afterward, and now it is kinda like that open wound that can only be healed by finding a hotter girlfriend-- or having a better season-- than the one that got away.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  1,985
  • Days Won:  0

The sad part about it was the BE officiating crew. Worst ever.

Always said that the bookies/Jersey mob handled the officiating that game.  Still one of the worst calls in our history.  Not only did they take away the ball, but hit us with a penalty based on the review..... Many other questionable calls.  And if I remember right,  Rice was shut down by us every game after this.