• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF hires Orlando Antigua to coach mens basketball

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

Joey Knight says this name is now popping up. Must have reached an impasse with Buzz

Correct title to UK.

ps- He is a former Harlem Globetrotter nicknamed "Hurricane".  Ruh roh.

ESPN ranked him as the no 1 Asst HC in US last year. He is a recruiting monster as well

You'd have to be comatose to NOT be a recruiting monster at UK .... I'd prefer someone with more experience recruiting at our level.

You're wrong, you still have to have a skill at it and major connections which Calipari has to do what he is doing at UK and Memphis before that. Billy Gillespie and Tubby Smith never recruited near the level that Calipari and his staff does right now at UK. Both Gillespie and especially Tubby Smith are great head coaches but lack the gift of gab that Coach Cal has. All of his assistants are known for their ability to recruit. Our own Coach Rocc(USF), Coach Pastner(Memphis), and Coach Barbee(formerly Auburn) can really recruit, but the question people have about Calipari's assistants struggling as head coaches is a valid one. Rocc and Barbee are no longer Head Coaches and Pastner is still coaching because of the incredible talent he can stock pile at Memphis. Nobody would confuse he for being a great head coach, if he was he and Memphis would be a monster.

There is little doubt in my mind that Antigua could and would take USF's recruiting to another level, but the concern about the history of Coach Cal's assistants being able to coach that talent worries me. There are some good assistants out there like Orlando Antigua, Jeff Boals(Ohio St), Stan Jones(FSU), LaVall Jordan(Mich), and Steve Wojciechowski(Duke) that wouldn't be bad choices if the search for a good established HC falls through.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Not to keen on assistants for this hire...

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

I was really behind Buzz since names began to surface. Now, I officially change my vote.

Here comes the story of "The Hurricane".....One time he coulda been the "Champion of the World"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1aa7raV_64

Wow, that takes me back. I saw this tour in April 76 at Curtis Hixon from the 6th row.

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

I was really behind Buzz since names began to surface. Now, I officially change my vote.

Here comes the story of "The Hurricane".....One time he coulda been the "Champion of the World"

Wow, that takes me back. I saw this tour in April 76 at Curtis Hixon from the 6th row.

I was there. You weren't that guy who threw up on me, were you?

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

LOL. If you were in the 5th row, maybe...

I remember being absolutely BESOTTED with Scarlett Rivera. Man, she could play that fiddle.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,511
  • Days Won:  422

Good point.

Who would that be and is it possible (not mutually exclusive)?

Howland .... even recruited to a directional school.   B)

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

LOL. If you were in the 5th row, maybe...

I remember being absolutely BESOTTED with Scarlett Rivera. Man, she could play that fiddle.

Was just thinking the same thing. I also went to Rolling Thunder Revue  which recorded  Hurricane, on Desire. At the concert got invited to a taping of The Midnight Special(or something like that) at the Bayfront Theater in St. Pete. Spent 6 hours the next day with 100 fans, Joan Baez, Roger McGuinn, Emmylou Harris, Bobby, T-Bone Burnett and a bunch of other musicians . Talked with McGuinn for the longest time. Baez was ripping on Dylan the whole time. Pretty amazing stuff.

Edited by Bullwinkle

Joey Knight says this name is now popping up. Must have reached an impasse with Buzz

Correct title to UK.

ESPN ranked him as the no 1 Asst HC in US last year. He is a recruiting monster as well

You'd have to be comatose to NOT be a recruiting monster at UK .... I'd prefer someone with more experience recruiting at our level.

You're wrong, you still have to have a skill at it and major connections which Calipari has to do what he is doing at UK and Memphis before that. 

I'm not 100% certain, but I don't think Calipari would be coming with him ...

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Correct title to UK.

You're wrong, you still have to have a skill at it and major connections which Calipari has to do what he is doing at UK and Memphis before that. 

Johnny Raincloud strikes again... boooooooooo

Correct title to UK.

Johnny Raincloud strikes again... boooooooooo

I feel it's my duty to nip these things in the bud ...