• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF hires Orlando Antigua to coach mens basketball

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

It's pretty impressive to see the reaction of UK fans.

Generally their posts say they are upset to see him leave, but wish him the best of luck because they all knew this day was coming. Many are openly wishing he stays on throughout the UK's time in the tournament. I don't think any of the other candidates had this much positive energy surrounding them. 

No matter what he does with this team, I will always think this appeared to be the right hire at the time it occurred. Normally I am down on Genshaft, but she and Harlan pulled this one out after a disastrous start. 

Thought I read on here earlier in this process that UK fans were saying this job was beneath him? Making the Final Four must have softened them up ...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  315
  • Days Won:  3

It's pretty impressive to see the reaction of UK fans.

Generally their posts say they are upset to see him leave, but wish him the best of luck because they all knew this day was coming. Many are openly wishing he stays on throughout the UK's time in the tournament. I don't think any of the other candidates had this much positive energy surrounding them. 

No matter what he does with this team, I will always think this appeared to be the right hire at the time it occurred. Normally I am down on Genshaft, but she and Harlan pulled this one out after a disastrous start. 

I noticed that too from the UK fans.    It's a good sign of the fans of a team that regularly make the final four think that Antigua was a key part of their success and is more then worthy of a Head Coaching job.  

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  162
  • Days Won:  1

Thought I read on here earlier in this process that UK fans were saying this job was beneath him? Making the Final Four must have softened them up ...

I've only read the comments here, but they are encouraging:

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/basketball-2/orlando-antigua-hired-by-south-florida/

• Content Count:  45
  • Days Won:  0

My guess is he gets Masiello money. $1.2 mil.

Tough to lower once it's out and still get a decent guy signed.

He's making $275,000 base salary at Kentucky. They'd be NUTS to give him $1-million a year. There's nothing that says he's deserving of that.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/03/kentucky-coaches-ad-bonuses-330k-aaron-harrison-final-four/

Edited by USFDaveG
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

Isn't his base similar to Masiello's?

I gotta believe he's getting a million at least. We'll see.

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,116
  • Days Won:  7

Guys. Why are you freaking out? We just hired one of the top assistants in college basketball! He was going to get a head coaching job at some point, and if it wasn't going to be Tampa, I guarantee a better program would have come calling in the next couple of years. I'm on board with this hire until Antigua shows otherwise. 

• Topic Count:  169
  • Content Count:  1,251

I've only read the comments here, but they are encouraging:

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/basketball-2/orlando-antigua-hired-by-south-florida/

Was just about to post that link...I posted earlier on this thread that I was disappointed when I first heard of the hire...but after I looked into him a little more I am more optimistic about the hire....def not excited or anything but I wouldn't say I'm disappointed anymore...

Anybody else that's not feeling the hire just go read the comments by the Kentucky fans in that thread

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Calipari’s statement on Antigua, in full:

“When this is done right, everyone involved should benefit from the success of the program. This includes the university as a whole, the athletic department, administrators, staff and especially the assistant coaches. They and their families deal with the brunt of the work. With that being said, I am so excited that Orlando has been hired by the University of South Florida. Based on what he’s done with the Dominican Republic National Team as their head coach and his work with our family over the last five years at Kentucky and one season at Memphis, I have the utmost confidence in him to lead this program to new heights. My guess is they will do things that have never been done before at South Florida. We’re all going to miss him and his family after we finish this run.â€

http://www.kyforward.com/2014/03/orlando-antigua-south-florida/

That's one hell of a raise for a guy who's never been a head coach.

That's one hell of a raise for a guy who's never been a head coach. Give him a deal loaded with incentives.