• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

u need to get over the hump

too bad bill gibson died

his protege chip connor took over

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I don't care if we get a, "big name". I want someone that wins. A well known coach may inject some initial excitement, but if they don't win, it won't matter. A lesser known coach might not ignite the fan base initially, but winning cures all.

So, I want the right coach, regardless of his current stature.

Usually, not always, but usually, the guy has earned the "big name", because he has proven to be a winner.

I want someone that is a big name coach because:

1. He has proven to be a winner

2. He can keep the core group of players we have

3. He is a known commodity to recruits and can attract them immediately

4. He can attract fans to watch

5. He can create an immediate buzz about the program in the media.

6. He can attract immediate interest from the donors

Bringing in just another coach probably means you another several years before all of this or even some of this occurs.

Bringing in a Pelphrey or a Kennedy or a young up and comer doesn't do much for the program other than allow for, maybe, another couple of years of plodding along.

Look what Bobby Knight did for the TTU program. Immediate buzz and they started winning. Huggins at KSU. Immediate buzz and improved basketball.

It is not just bringing in a name, but what that person can do to immediately allow the program to make a jump.

Anything less than that and we could have just stayed the course, saved $1.5 mill and kept Heath.

New coach has to be a jump up in all aspects to justify that firing. At least for me it does.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

I don't care if we get a, "big name". I want someone that wins. A well known coach may inject some initial excitement, but if they don't win, it won't matter. A lesser known coach might not ignite the fan base initially, but winning cures all.

So, I want the right coach, regardless of his current stature.

Usually, not always, but usually, the guy has earned the "big name", because he has proven to be a winner.

I want someone that is a big name coach because:

1. He has proven to be a winner

2. He can keep the core group of players we have

3. He is a known commodity to recruits and can attract them immediately

4. He can attract fans to watch

5. He can create an immediate buzz about the program in the media.

6. He can attract immediate interest from the donors

Bringing in just another coach probably means you another several years before all of this or even some of this occurs.

Bringing in a Pelphrey or a Kennedy or a young up and comer doesn't do much for the program other than allow for, maybe, another couple of years of plodding along.

Look what Bobby Knight did for the TTU program. Immediate buzz and they started winning. Huggins at KSU. Immediate buzz and improved basketball.

It is not just bringing in a name, but what that person can do to immediately allow the program to make a jump.

Anything less than that and we could have just stayed the course, saved $1.5 mill and kept Heath.

New coach has to be a jump up in all aspects to justify that firing. At least for me it does.

Nicely worded

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  1,985
  • Days Won:  0

I was at USF then, back when the student section was the lower tier of seats and they called it the "Rose Bowl".  the conference made the school leave the first 2-3 rows behind the visiting bench unused, we called it death row.  This was because the students used to ride the visiting bench so bad they would make players cry, seriously.  The Dome was different, you were elevated over the benches then.  We put up tombstones there for each win.  

Even then we had only so-so student attendance,  but better than today.  First and foremost you HAVE to get the students involved.  You look at every big time program on TV and the students pack the arena.  Without that you cannot have energy in the program.  There is no reason for us to not have that.  We have shifted quite a bit from the commuter days, and the students needs to come over, hell it is free.  

We need to step up and get a name, someone that ESPN will talk about for a couple days, follow progress, want to see what he can do with the team, etc. 

Side question, does Heath leave with his dad or man up and stay?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,511
  • Days Won:  422

I find it hard to believe that the students back then filled up more sections than they have for most of this season. I thought one of the bright spots this year was the student attendance. Would like all of them to be as involved as the ones in the lower part of the lower section, but at least they were there and involved when the action got hot.

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

Winning is hard to do on Dale Mabry. We need a proven guy.

good thing we're not on dale mabry ;)

edit: dammit, just scrolled down..

Edited by theman123

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

I find it hard to believe that the students back then filled up more sections than they have for most of this season. I thought one of the bright spots this year was the student attendance. Would like all of them to be as involved as the ones in the lower part of the lower section, but at least they were there and involved when the action got hot.

Not having been to any of our games when the students were in the endzones, it's hard to compare. But when we had them on the sidelines, it was NOISY. Just a perception maybe, but it seems more intense when the students are right on the sides than when they're relegated to the endzones.

That said, I REALLY like the pinwheels, etc on TV during free throws.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

I'd almost guarantee student attendance saw an increase the past 2 years. We were at the OkSt game and couldn't believe how packed it was (though it was a big game, and we were coming in with a good record). Students packed in for the Bama game too.

Attendance will skyrocket with a good team that can win. Students are here and want to cheer for basketball and/or football. The want a winner so badly, and do not have one. Football has sucked and many turned to bball instead. Easier to get to since it's on campus too.

Edited by Hem