• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Dream Scenario - Would It Matter?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  3,698
  • Days Won:  7

Here is a hypothetical, crazy scenario to feed the trolls on this rainy Friday in Tampa. Let's face it, our men's basketball isn't one of the most talented teams in recent memory to say the least. But we do have 1 good win this season to highlight: SMU at the Sun Dome after losing by 17 points to them just 2 weeks earlier...I guess that's something. We are coming off another close loss to now #7 Cincinnati (lost by 7 at home and by 5 on the road) and then almost blew it at UCF, but didn't.

In trying to find the most unlikely but most perfect way to turn around and close out this miserable season, I direct your attention to the last 8 games of the season. With our current record being 12-11 overall and 3-7 in the AAC, my question is: Would winning out the entire rest of the season put us as a NCAAT bubble team candidate? (Feeding the trolls here...)

Realistically, yet unrealistically, we would sit at 20-11 overall and 11-7 AAC which would include future wins over currently ranked teams in #22 Connecticut (Road), #14 Louisville (Road), and #22 Connecticut (Home) again.

In addition, in this scenario it should also include 2 wins in the AAC tournament game with the loss that kicks USF from the tourney against Cincy. So actually, the overall record would stand then at 22-11.

However, we have also lost 11 times this season, many of which were bad/ horrid losses and blowouts against more talented teams.

Horrid losses vs. Detroit (10-14), Santa Clara (13-12),

Bad losses vs. Houston (11-12), Mississippi State (13-9)

Understandable but regrettable losses vs. then #19 Cincinnati (22-2), then #13 Cincinnati (22-2)

Blowout losses (by 15+ points) vs. then #5 Oklahoma State, then #18 Memphis (17-5), SMU (18-5), then #12 Louisville (19-4), then #23 Memphis (17-5).

Would upsetting 3 ranked teams and ending the season on a 9 game winning streak show such improvement that USF gets on the NCAAT bubble?

Would an overall win percentage of 0.645 and an AAC win percentage of .611 make any difference come NCAAT time?

Or would it simply secure a decent seed for USF in the NIT?

Disclaimer: I in no way believe in the possibility of this scenario and have posted this purely for discussion and entertainment purposes. Please discuss nicely. Go Bulls!

Somebody desperately needs to find a friend with benefits.

I'm good. Thanks for your concern and contribution. You're witty. Happy?

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

Even if we did win out up to the AAC tourney, I'd think the blowout losses to teams with a pulse put us in a bad place for tourney consideration, especially with the other losses to Detroit and Santa Clara

AAC champ gets an autobid.

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

I thing a string of high rpi wins in the scenario described would be hard for the selection committee to ignore, especially to close out the season.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,076
  • Days Won:  469

The NCAA likes a hot team.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

Even if we did win out up to the AAC tourney, I'd think the blowout losses to teams with a pulse put us in a bad place for tourney consideration, especially with the other losses to Detroit and Santa Clara

I think 84 was talking about winning out up to the tournament, not through it ...

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899

I think 84 was talking about winning out up to the tournament, not through it ...

This.

Obviously the ideal scenario would be not just winning out up to the tourney, but carrying that streak on to win the tourney. Pretty sure that would be the only way in for us at this point

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159

Got it now, sorry.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

You lose to Detroit and there's no tourney. AAC champ or bust.

Edited by JTrue

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,485
  • Days Won:  43

I am just happy with the future of the team with the talent that has come to USF. I think next season, USF will beat some ranked teams. Just have to keep using this year as  learning season. Egbunu and Perry show is what USF will build on. 

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

I dont see an answer for the scoring void Rudd will leave unless Holston is a beast or Hawkins really steps it up and plays more aggressively.