• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

I can't believe this class

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

cS4Vz05.jpg

And they were discussing today on ESPNU about how a great qb is the thing that is the biggest factor to a winning team, not that USF fans wouldn't already know that. So unless Flowers is the next BJ, we might find we again have a great defense and an offense that loses games.

If you give me a choice of a very good o-line and an average-to-poor QB v. an average-to-poor o-line and a very good QB, I'll go with the big uglies every time.

Yah, QB's are important, but they live or die by how well their line plays. O-lineman are the MOST important players on the field, bar none.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

I still believe White is going to be a very good QB.

Sgree

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

I still believe White is going to be a very good QB.

If I was betting, I'd say White will win the competition and maybe we can RS Flowers, but if the kid can throw worth a darn it'll be hard to keep him off the field. A dual-threat QB with 4.4 quickness and great mobility would add a nice dimension to our running game.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

If you give me a choice of a very good o-line and an average-to-poor QB v. an average-to-poor o-line and a very good QB, I'll go with the big uglies every time.

Yah, QB's are important, but they live or die by how well their line plays. O-lineman are the MOST important players on the field, bar none.

Totally agree with this!

The same people who are down playing the importance of this recruiting class are the same people who would be screaming for CWT's head if we were like 80th or behind UCF.

UCF just had their most amazing season in their history and one of the best seasons of any non-P5 (BCS) program EVER and they had the 73rd rated class.  We have the 39th ranked class.

Enjoy it.  Does it mean we are promised a bowl game next year?  no, but it sure as heck helps our chances and shows that high school kids are buying into what CWT is selling.

Several members of this class turned down big schools including FSU, Georgia, and more.

Dude. USF had a top 25 class before. No championship followed. Chill. It's hopefully going to translate to competing for the AAC but we all know that it's what happens on the field that counts. Cautiously optimistic.

I think our best class was 29

. I think ESPN had it at 25, someone did. They all are different in their rankings, slightly at least.

Scout had us at 25, Rivals had us at 29.  You say potato, I say potahto.

ESPN had us at #24 in 2009

http://insider.espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/archive/classrankings?classyear=2009&classmonth=3&viewmore=yes

Edited by Bulliever
Delete duplicate quote

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  693
  • Days Won:  0

Not to take away anything from the class, but a big reason why were are ranked so low is because of the amount of recruits we have. Here are the averages:

USF - 2.89
UL - 2.82
Cincinnati - 2.65
UCF - 2.61
Rutgers - 2.6
Temple - 2.52
Tulane - 2.23
Memphis - 2.2
UConn - 2.2
Tulsa - 2.18
ECU - 2.12
SMU - 2.1
UH - 2.08
Navy - 2

Part of the reason for UCF's class being so low is that they are limited by scholarships available.

These websites don't figure out class rankings simply by averaging all of the recruit's stars. They have formulas that they implement in order to determine the class rankings. UCF's limited scholarships have nothing to do with why they are so low. Some of the sites don't include JUCO's and some only factor in the top 20 recruits in the class for example. The links below are to each of the main recruiting sites and how they calculate their team rankings.

http://www.scout.com/3/about-team-rankings.html

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=880&CID=1364602

http://247sports.com/Article/247Rating-Explanation-81574

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  958

I think everyone realizes that recruiting class stars does not equal on field dominance. That does not mean it is not worth being excited about. This is simply the potential, and to get such a highly reviewed class after our season speaks volumes as to what this staff is trying to do. Listening to the player and coach interviews has been great and I fully expect a much improved season this year. I get the skepticism, but I see little point in sharing it at this time. We need to build excitement around the program, not constantly remind everyone of our well documented trouble areas. That does not mean ignore our faults, they need to be corrected but hammering everyone that gets excited at good news is pointless in my opinion.   

Reminding ones self constantly of past failures is like bring up that they had the crabs ,or some type of veneral diasease to their girl friend ......

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

I think everyone realizes that recruiting class stars does not equal on field dominance. That does not mean it is not worth being excited about. This is simply the potential, and to get such a highly reviewed class after our season speaks volumes as to what this staff is trying to do. Listening to the player and coach interviews has been great and I fully expect a much improved season this year. I get the skepticism, but I see little point in sharing it at this time. We need to build excitement around the program, not constantly remind everyone of our well documented trouble areas. That does not mean ignore our faults, they need to be corrected but hammering everyone that gets excited at good news is pointless in my opinion.

Reminding ones self constantly of past failures is like bring up that they had the crabs ,or some type of veneral diasease to their girl friend ......

so they know what they mean when they say it felt great initially (class rank) but was let down after getting test results (lack of conference championship)?

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  958

Not to take away anything from the class, but a big reason why were are ranked so low is because of the amount of recruits we have. Here are the averages:

USF - 2.89
UL - 2.82
Cincinnati - 2.65
UCF - 2.61
Rutgers - 2.6
Temple - 2.52
Tulane - 2.23
Memphis - 2.2
UConn - 2.2
Tulsa - 2.18
ECU - 2.12
SMU - 2.1
UH - 2.08
Navy - 2

Part of the reason for UCF's class being so low is that they are limited by scholarships available.

These websites don't figure out class rankings simply by averaging all of the recruit's stars. They have formulas that they implement in order to determine the class rankings. UCF's limited scholarships have nothing to do with why they are so low. Some of the sites don't include JUCO's and some only factor in the top 20 recruits in the class for example. The links below are to each of the main recruiting sites and how they calculate their team rankings.

http://www.scout.com/3/about-team-rankings.html

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=880&CID=1364602

http://247sports.com/Article/247Rating-Explanation-81574

Case in point...UCLA only had 18 commits but are ranked #19 per scout ...

Totally agree with this!

Wait a minute. Didn't you play o-line? Doesn't that make you just a little biased? :D