• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Cornerback Durden arrested

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

not a coincidence that denver and seattle are playing in the biggest BOWL of the year

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

Japan's drug laws make us look like Amsterdam. I don't get your argument.

I doubt Japan spent almost $25 billion on the drug war....last year alone. Nor were they incarcerating literally millions a year on drugs. In 2010 almost 2 million were arrested on drug charges, 80% on possession, not dealing. The amount spent, what its doing to US society is ridiculous. Its a moral law that we can't afford to fund anymore.

And Japan doesn't have Mexico and S. America for neighbors.

Still have no idea why Japan was an example. They have insanely harsh laws and less people in jail. Your solution for us to be more like them is do the exact opposite?
Oh, because they are a first world country. Cuba is in the top 5, a country you'd expect to be oppressing the population.
Again, what is it the U.S. should be learning from Japan on this matter?

It was a comparison of how much of an outlier the US incarceration rates are compared to industrialized first world countries. You could write a dissertation on what the U.S. needs to take from the rest of the world on things ranging from views on drugs to how to education children about sex, another area that the U.S. rates shockingly bad in, teen pregnancy rates, when compared to other first world countries. Morality laws and views in America have really caused massive problems.

EDIT: And note, that is the overall incarceration rate. In the US a large amount of that number are from drug related arrests, but that rate is for all crimes.

So your suggestion was that the U.S. start passing drug laws like Japan in order to lower that incarceration rate?

Sigh. In Japan, drug use is a cultural no-no. It's pretty much accepted in the U.S.. It's like Japan outlawing Sake, something ingrained in their culture. There are a lot of things to consider. Japan can get away with strict drug laws, they don't abut one of the largest drug producing regions in the world, they don't have a vast economically suppressed lower class like they do here, etc.. Look at what other nations aren't doing to their population. I think it's ironic that the "land of the free" has the highest incarceration rate of any nation. Don't you?

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

I blame this guy. Let kids do anything they want, and the grow up to have no sense of personal responsibility. Kids need to be taught limits and good decision-making so that when they are adults they can decide for themselves based on knowledge and experience. Letting kids decide for themselves when they haven't yet learned personal responsibility is a recipe for adult irresponsibility and lifelong poor decision-making. Most children in Japan have been raised in a culturally homogenous environment by a domineering stay-at-home mother. They're generally obedient, even to the point of waiting for lights at crosswalks. It's our culture of "freedom" for children that makes us disobedient as adults.

Proverbs, 13:24

"He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes."

Spock_160x244.jpg

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

I doubt Japan spent almost $25 billion on the drug war....last year alone. Nor were they incarcerating literally millions a year on drugs. In 2010 almost 2 million were arrested on drug charges, 80% on possession, not dealing. The amount spent, what its doing to US society is ridiculous. Its a moral law that we can't afford to fund anymore.

Still have no idea why Japan was an example. They have insanely harsh laws and less people in jail. Your solution for us to be more like them is do the exact opposite?
Oh, because they are a first world country. Cuba is in the top 5, a country you'd expect to be oppressing the population.
It was a comparison of how much of an outlier the US incarceration rates are compared to industrialized first world countries. You could write a dissertation on what the U.S. needs to take from the rest of the world on things ranging from views on drugs to how to education children about sex, another area that the U.S. rates shockingly bad in, teen pregnancy rates, when compared to other first world countries. Morality laws and views in America have really caused massive problems.

EDIT: And note, that is the overall incarceration rate. In the US a large amount of that number are from drug related arrests, but that rate is for all crimes.

So your suggestion was that the U.S. start passing drug laws like Japan in order to lower that incarceration rate?
Sigh. In Japan, drug use is a cultural no-no. It's pretty much accepted in the U.S.. It's like Japan outlawing Sake, something ingrained in their culture. There are a lot of things to consider. Japan can get away with strict drug laws, they don't abut one of the largest drug producing regions in the world, they don't have a vast economically suppressed lower class like they do here, etc.. Look at what other nations aren't doing to their population. I think it's ironic that the "land of the free" has the highest incarceration rate of any nation. Don't you?

"Free" means free to make your own choices, not free from being held accountable for them.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

This is from the University of Florida dorm regs:

6) Authorized University housing personnel may enter student rooms without the resident’s permission for maintenance/housekeeping purposes and fire/safety inspections. When authorized personnel have reasonable belief that a violation of a University regulation, local ordinance, state or federal statute is in progress, and/or for other emergency purposes, they may enter student rooms without notice.

http://www.housing.ufl.edu/undergrad/contracts/

Not when it comes to smoking weed or marijuana.  I lived in Holly last year and our roommate was terrible.  He would sit in his room and smoke all day and make it a near unlivable environment.  We tried to get the RA to make him stop, but the RA can only ask him through the door if he refuses to open it.  UP got called up after a shouting/threatening match between my other roommates and our weed-smoking roomie.  He locked the door before they got there and despite the fact they could smell it and we showed them evidence of his smoking activities they said they still couldn't open the door on him.  I'll never understand it.  We got him kicked out in April after we proved he stole money from us and threatened us.  UP wanted to help, but it always seemed like their hands were tied so they could never take any real action.

Super-irony is that this kid tried to walk-on to the football team last year and failed.  That's what kicked off his smoking.

Odd.  I know of students that had their room searched while they were not in the room and they were kicked out of the dorms.

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276
  • Days Won:  0

He'll be transferring to Colo., lol.

He wont be the only one :). Speaking of Colorado what if the school follows State law and says its OK for their students and players to smoke, will the NCAA step in and supersede? Will it turn them into a juggernaut or will we see Alabama and the other SEC SCHOOLS start pushing hard to legalizing weed as well to keep the talent?
Places where it's legal, employers still can restrict employees. You won't see firemen and cops smoking pot in Colo.. I expect the same with those on athletic scholarships. Banned substance like legal ones that effect performance.

Correct.

Some players that understand the value of a $200,000 athletic scholarship will easily understand what team rules they must follow to keep said scholarship just like most employers are doing in Colorado.

From quote from Seth Davis's SI hoop article the other day...when he noted;

So let me get this straight: Chane Behanan, who was dismissed from Louisville for repeatedly failing to abide by university policy (wink, wink) and has enlisted John Lucas as his substance abuse counselor, is about to sign with Colorado State, which just happens to be located in a state where marijuana just became legal for recreational purposes. On what planet is that a good idea?

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20140120/hoop-thoughts-bruce-pearl-richard-pitino-wichita-state/#ixzz2r34HiuBJ

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276
  • Days Won:  0

Imagine how much less in taxes we'd pay .....

:icon_drink:

Really, you think if Congress just taxed pot (signed by the President)...that those in charge would simply just cut our other taxes in return?

You don't think congress would spend those new tax $$$ in a blink of an eye vs giving tax breaks?

If you believe what you wrote...I got some wonderful easily developed swampland to sell ya in FLA.

Edited by Knight_Light

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

Imagine how much less in taxes we'd pay and how many fewer jails would be needed if they legalized pot. The US has the highest incarceration rate per capita of any country in the world. Over 700 per 100k. Countries like Japan and Finland are around 50 or 60 per 100k. Its so out of skew, its shocking.

What's wrong with incarceration?

Nevermind.

:backtotopic:

"Free" means free to make your own choices, not free from being held accountable for them.

Well, looking at reality it seems to mean the U.S. government is free to pass laws covering all aspects of morality. In many areas that effect American personal freedom, as Reagan said, government is the problem. Other cultured nations get that and don't pass so many ridiculous laws.

Imagine how much less in taxes we'd pay .....

:icon_drink:

Really, you think if Congress just taxed pot (signed by the President)...that those in charge would simply just cut our other taxes in return?

You don't think congress would spend those new tax $$$ in a blink of an eye vs giving tax breaks?

If you believe what you wrote...I got some wonderful easily developed swampland to sell ya in FLA.

No actually, I expect it to go where it always goes, it would end up with the wealthiest 400 people that own half of America. Brian Williams said last night, the newest study shows the wealthiest 85 people in the world now own half the world's wealth. So 85 people have accumulated $110 TRILLION or, 65 times what the poorest half of the world's population own. They own both sides of the aisle and dictate policy that increases the current wealth gap. In 2010 they got 93% of all the new wealth created in the U.S. economy so I expect they'd get somehow get most of the savings out of the $25 billion/year war on drug money that's no longer used.