• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Cornerback Durden arrested

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  2,233
  • Days Won:  6

This is how FSU handles cases similar to our situation.  http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10327194/cinmeon-bowers-florida-state-seminoles-recruit-arrested-allegedly-eating-marijuana  "Florida State coach Leonard Hamilton told ESPN he will allow the process to play out regarding Bowers."I will wait until I get all the complete information," Hamilton told ESPN".

Lets hope Coach T does the same thing with Durden.

Edited by Dhambuc

Sad but sobering report came out in the Trib today that nearly 50% of young males get arrested by age 23 at least once. http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/01/20/nearly-half-arrested/4669225/

This is HORRIFIC And we need to fix this.  Im sure a lot of the arrest are drug related (Pot).   Need to address the laws,  free up the court systems, and jails.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Japan's drug laws make us look like Amsterdam. I don't get your argument.

I doubt Japan spent almost $25 billion on the drug war....last year alone. Nor were they incarcerating literally millions a year on drugs. In 2010 almost 2 million were arrested on drug charges, 80% on possession, not dealing. The amount spent, what its doing to US society is ridiculous. Its a moral law that we can't afford to fund anymore.

And Japan doesn't have Mexico and S. America for neighbors.

Still have no idea why Japan was an example. They have insanely harsh laws and less people in jail. Your solution for us to be more like them is do the exact opposite?
Oh, because they are a first world country. Cuba is in the top 5, a country you'd expect to be oppressing the population.
Again, what is it the U.S. should be learning from Japan on this matter?
It was a comparison of how much of an outlier the US incarceration rates are compared to industrialized first world countries. You could write a dissertation on what the U.S. needs to take from the rest of the world on things ranging from views on drugs to how to education children about sex, another area that the U.S. rates shockingly bad in, teen pregnancy rates, when compared to other first world countries. Morality laws and views in America have really caused massive problems.

EDIT: And note, that is the overall incarceration rate. In the US a large amount of that number are from drug related arrests, but that rate is for all crimes.

So your suggestion was that the U.S. start passing drug laws like Japan in order to lower that incarceration rate?
Sigh. In Japan, drug use is a cultural no-no. It's pretty much accepted in the U.S.. It's like Japan outlawing Sake, something ingrained in their culture. There are a lot of things to consider. Japan can get away with strict drug laws, they don't abut one of the largest drug producing regions in the world, they don't have a vast economically suppressed lower class like they do here, etc.. Look at what other nations aren't doing to their population. I think it's ironic that the "land of the free" has the highest incarceration rate of any nation. Don't you?
"Free" means free to make your own choices, not free from being held accountable for them.

Well, looking at reality it seems to mean the U.S. government is free to pass laws covering all aspects of morality. In many areas that effect American personal freedom, as Reagan said, government is the problem. Other cultured nations get that and don't pass so many ridiculous laws.

The same Reagan who's policies are responsible for escalating the war on drugs and starting the process that lead to today's high incarceration rates? That's definitely the guy to listen to about government involvement in people's lives and our current incarceration rates.

• Upvote 2

We need to stop this So called War on Drugs. The government needs to change their thinking and they are slowly.  The criminal system is bogged down by all these convictions. Tying up resources that could be better spent.  50% of African American and 40% of White American males arrested by age 23 is staggering.  This is not Traffic related arrest. Women's numbers are not that far behind either.

You have 2 boys,  you have a great chance 1 of the 2 will be arrested by age 23.  That's just scary to think about.

It messes up their lives for years if not permanently(it affects their families as well)  it benefits NO ONE.(other than Lawyers who make money defending them).

It cost tax payers too much money to charge, prosecute and to house them after conviction. (money could be used to rehabilitate and create jobs) The cost in Healthcare( passes on to ALL taxpayers)

If we really are about saving lives than we should Ban cigarettes and Alcohol. More deaths are related to both of them than Pot.(these are facts). Cigarettes and the cancer cost alone should be enough to ban them). DUI related accidents as well( the innocent people killed or mangled due to a drunk driver) (plus the Alcohol related diseases like Cirrhosis of the liver).  There are TOO many issues/ diseases caused by cigarettes and Alcohol to list.

Time to wake up people.

Edited by Dhambuc

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,076
  • Days Won:  469

You have 2 boys, you have a great chance 1 of the 2 will be arrested by age 23. That's just scary to think about.

I do have two boys and no I don't worry about one of them being arrested. I guess that's old fashioned though.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

We need to stop this So called War on Drugs. The government needs to change their thinking and they are slowly.  The criminal system is bogged down by all these convictions. Tying up resources that could be better spent.  50% of African American and 40% of White American males arrested by age 23 is staggering.  This is not Traffic related arrest. Women's numbers are not that far behind either.

You have 2 boys,  you have a great chance 1 of the 2 will be arrested by age 23.  That's just scary to think about.

It messes up their lives for years if not permanently(it affects their families as well)  it benefits NO ONE.(other than Lawyers who make money defending them).

It cost tax payers too much money to charge, prosecute and to house them after conviction. (money could be used to rehabilitate and create jobs) The cost in Healthcare( passes on to ALL taxpayers)

If we really are about saving lives than we should Ban cigarettes and Alcohol. More deaths are related to both of them than Pot.(these are facts). Cigarettes and the cancer cost alone should be enough to ban them). DUI related accidents as well( the innocent people killed or mangled due to a drunk driver) (plus the Alcohol related diseases like Cirrhosis of the liver).  There are TOO many issues/ diseases caused by cigarettes and Alcohol to list.

Time to wake up people.

Please go to MadCow to espouse your opinions on legalizing drugs, this is no place for that conversation.  It's against the law, he broke the law, he must be dumped from the team immediately.  

• Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

You have 2 boys, you have a great chance 1 of the 2 will be arrested by age 23. That's just scary to think about.

I do have two boys and no I don't worry about one of them being arrested. I guess that's old fashioned though.

I have one boy and he will NEVER be arrested for drugs, but I am old fashioned too.  My wife and I have raised him to respect and follow the law and to stay completely clear of drugs, because they adversely affect your life and future.  If they're doing drugs, yeah even marijuana, being arrested would be the least of their worries.  Too much acceptance in our society of deviant behavior nowadays.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

I have one boy and he will NEVER be arrested for drugs, but I am old fashioned too.  My wife and I have raised him to respect and follow the law and to stay completely clear of drugs, because they adversely affect your life and future.  If they're doing drugs, yeah even marijuana, being arrested would be the least of their worries.  Too much acceptance in our society of deviant behavior nowadays.

That's great that you trust your son, but sometimes parents really don't have a clue what really goes on.

• Upvote 2

Not advocating for Pot or any other drug just for the record, I work in Health Care and have for over 20 years.   (Wife retired from Military doing over 20 years).   But ignoring the issues or wishing them away doesn't it make it happen.

Statistics are showing that more and more youth are being arrested by age 23 than ever before. These kids come from ALL social and economic  backgrounds, not just the poor or misinformed.

Again like I said having worked in Healthcare for all those years Ive seen first hand the effect of Drugs, Alcohol and Cigarettes. See the lives its destroyed and the families involved.    We as a nation need to be looking into this , not sweeping it under the rug and by saying "It wont happen to me or my kids" or "Im old fashioned"   is not the best answer or approach. 

Hope it never happens to you or your family but see it almost daily in ALL WALKS of life.  No One is Immune.  Drug users are not what you see portayed on TV(gangster type of thugs) living in the inner city only. They are Blue collar, suit and tie,  kids as well.  They drive all types of vehicles and attend all types of schools.  NO ONE is Immune.

Edited by Dhambuc
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

I was thinking the same thing about my two. Must be because they know what laws are whether they like them or not.