• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  738
  • Days Won:  1

Keep making excuses for this staff.....I won't

Not sure what you expected coming into this season.  I thought we'd be about 6-6 and thought that was about the ceiling for this year.

Sure the staff underachieved, but when we realistically were only better than 3-4 teams on the schedule what do you expect to happen?

The attitude that we should have somehow competed this year is baffling to me.  I think it's on Taggart to make this team competitive next year.  I'm OK with people starting to get on him if the ship doesn't start pointing in the right direction.  The team needs to have 6 wins and remain competitive in pretty much every game with the exception of Wisconsin.

I think it's just early to get on his case, but do what ever you want, if it makes you feel better.  Taggart isn't going anywhere for years, whether he's the answer or not.  Get comfortable being uncomfortable or rally around him.  Your choice.

+1

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

"We need that same blue-collar, tough kid that loves football and is a good player," Petersen once said. He looked for the toughness, and if he got the size and speed, great. Boise State didn't get the tough kid with size and speed. He signs with the Washingtons of the world, which will make Petersen's transition from have-not to have an interesting one to watch.

Here in lies the problem.  You can recruit players with finesse but how will they operate under pressure. I think Willie is building and finding those guys.  No more quitting because it gets a little hard. If it does not work I am going to applaud Coach T for trying.  Anything is better than Apathy.  I cannot stand the last two years of Holtz and his apathy.  I think Holtz cared about his players but winning did not seem like an issue to him.  Not saying he did not want to win but his attitude was not reflective of what is needed to win.   Coach T is mad and we are all mad is fans. Atleast we are on the same page. We did not compete hard. No handing out smiley faces.  Let it hurt. Dig deep Bulls.  No where to go but up.  

Personally, I saw Holtz in a lot more pain after a loss than I've seen Taggart this season.  For all the whining fans did while he was here about what he was saying, fans weren't looking into his eyes.  Holtz never accepted losing, something I can't say about CWT this season.

You must be joking. Did you ever hear Holtz apologize to the fans/school about a loss to temple or ball state? Nope. All that guy ever said was how proud he was of his team and how much they "competed" (I can't even use this word in every day life anymore because it drives me nuts how much I heard it from that guy). I don't think he was "ok" with losing but he certainly was never upset enough to show it. 

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

"We need that same blue-collar, tough kid that loves football and is a good player," Petersen once said. He looked for the toughness, and if he got the size and speed, great. Boise State didn't get the tough kid with size and speed. He signs with the Washingtons of the world, which will make Petersen's transition from have-not to have an interesting one to watch.

Here in lies the problem.  You can recruit players with finesse but how will they operate under pressure. I think Willie is building and finding those guys.  No more quitting because it gets a little hard. If it does not work I am going to applaud Coach T for trying.  Anything is better than Apathy.  I cannot stand the last two years of Holtz and his apathy.  I think Holtz cared about his players but winning did not seem like an issue to him.  Not saying he did not want to win but his attitude was not reflective of what is needed to win.   Coach T is mad and we are all mad is fans. Atleast we are on the same page. We did not compete hard. No handing out smiley faces.  Let it hurt. Dig deep Bulls.  No where to go but up.  

Personally, I saw Holtz in a lot more pain after a loss than I've seen Taggart this season.  For all the whining fans did while he was here about what he was saying, fans weren't looking into his eyes.  Holtz never accepted losing, something I can't say about CWT this season.

You must be joking. Did you ever hear Holtz apologize to the fans/school about a loss to temple or ball state? Nope. All that guy ever said was how proud he was of his team and how much they "competed" (I can't even use this word in every day life anymore because it drives me nuts how much I heard it from that guy). I don't think he was "ok" with losing but he certainly was never upset enough to show it. 

A head coach has several audiences during a press conference.  Holtz was trying to hold his team together, while Taggart didn't care if his was falling apart.  In fact, I think Taggart wanted this team to fall apart to increase turnover so he could get "his guys".  Different styles, we'll see if Taggart's style succeeds or fails in the coming years.

But I have no doubt that Holtz was trying to win each game, while Taggart threw in the towel on this season around week two.  

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,808
  • Days Won:  0

A head coach has several audiences during a press conference.  Holtz was trying to hold his team together, while Taggart didn't care if his was falling apart.  In fact, I think Taggart wanted this team to fall apart to increase turnover so he could get "his guys".  Different styles, we'll see if Taggart's style succeeds or fails in the coming years.

But I have no doubt that Holtz was trying to win each game, while Taggart threw in the towel on this season around week two.  

The "Homers for Holtz club" is in Louisiana. Please exit stage right. No Seriously Shadow I know you are upset about the season as we all are but these accusations are ridiculous. He threw in the towel because he was trying to do things his way? He has answered the question many times over why he has not adjusted to offense to the personnel and his response was I want everyone on the same page and these kids do no need anymore confusion. That is not quitting. That is setting a precedence.  Quitting? I say bah humbug to you Mr. Shadow Bull. Or if you prefer the Holtzesq language "keep competing hard" Shadowbull. 

Edited by Bullrush33

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Come on, Shadow, your psychic mindreader powers are weak. I could just as easily say, based on his comments, that CWT's goal was to remain steady--like Bullrush said, to keep out further confusion. Holtz's style was more player-centric, which made him seem wishy-washy on what to do in a game. If players weren't performing, he didn't hold them accountable to the standard...there was no real standard established in the first place, except to "compete".

I'm not a Skip-hater, I agree he was trying to win and was a very likeable guy. I just think his game strategy and player-handling left a LOT to be desired. He'd make a better counselor than coach.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

When Shadow isn't being a contrarian, he is a provocateur no better than smazza.

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

When Shadow isn't being a contrarian, he is a provocateur no better than smazza.

The name has changed, the game remains the same.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I resemble that remark.  I am much a better provocateur than smazza.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

holtz was a nice man with a nice wife

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

I resemble that remark.  I am much a better provocateur than smazza.

I second that