• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Let's use the Shaw example on how CWT will make USF better.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Someone tell me why switching this team from a spread offense to power running team caused us to have the worst record ever. QB has to be biggest issue.

People tend to forget the last 3 games of spread offense without BJ last year.
I've really gotten tired of listening to this argument. So I decided to go back and see how bad the offense was after BJ got hurt last year. Guess what? It was better than this season.

Two of the opponents we also played this year. I'll use Rutgers as a comparable for Pitt, since they were both the last game of a miserable season.

2012 vs Miami - 358 total yards / 3 Turnovers

2013 vs Miami - 306 total yards / 3 Turnovers

2012 vs Cincy - 306 total yards / 2 Turnovers

2013 vs Cincy - 241 total yards / 1 Turnover

2012 vs Pitt - 117 total yards / 4 turnovers

2013 vs Rutgers - 151 total yards / 2 Turnovers

So Holtz had an offense built around BJ Daniels that had to change near the end of the season and a terrible defense to work with. Taggart had the entire offseason to build an offense around what he had to work with, and a Top 25 defense.

But most importantly the Pitt game really doesn't count since everyone in the locker room knew Holtz was a goner.

And the 2012 offense was still better. In fact, Floyd had a reasonably good completion percentage in his three game last year. So I think we can stop with that silly comparison.

I will pile on too.

Conference wins:

2012 - 1

2013 - 2

Holy cow in his first year Taggart has double the conference wins in the preceding year!!!

Can we just take our conference wins, rushing yards, defensive turnovers, and plot the upward trajectory? Those are clearly better metrics.

Get out of here you nay sayers! Let the numbers do the talking (but only the ones that support my stance are valid).

Give Taggart BJ Daniels or Matt Grothe... This team does not lose that game to UCF or MSU and they do not give opponents more points than our own team in the fist half of the season.

Taggart had less Daniels but more conference wins than Holtz. I can only imagine with Holtz and his sorry defense we would be 0-12.

Lets put things in perspective. Same team with better QB is at minimum two more wins.

Completely different discussion. My response was to Bull Martin's point about the last three games of last season after Daniels got hurt and specifically the offense, not including the performance of the defense.

You response is about the nine games before Daniels got hurt and how the offense only performed.

Please tell me how your response is relevant.

If Taggart had Daniels or Grothe for 9 games we'd likely have at minimum 1, but as many as 3 or 4, more wins.

If Daniels was not out would we have had 6 wins last year?

That is irrelevant.  We all agree that Daniels was better than the options we had this year.

The question is whether we'd have been better off running the spread.  We had better stats in the last three games with Floyd at the helm.  And that doesn't consider the fact that Floyd fumbled several snaps last year which stalled drives.  

Last year's offensive scheme would have been more successful this year than the offense we installed.  It is pretty obvious if you take emotion out of the equation.

the only reason it would have been more successful is because they had been in the system for 3 years. this offense was brand new and a true freshman ran it for a good portion of the season. it's dumb to compare numbers from last years games to this years.

one thing is for certain, our defense would have been god awful.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

Lamar was changed to WR, BECAUSE there were NONE that first year. And he could catch. You need a bunch to run a spread offense.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

In case you all don't remember, Taggart recruited Shaw to WKU. Shaw turned him down and committed to USF. Taggart wanted him bad. The funny part is that Taggart ends up being Shaw's coach at USF. 1st thing he noticed about Shaw is that his body still looked the same as it was in high school. Taggart immediated had Shaw put on the extra muscle and it turned Shaw's career at USF around. Now, as Justin Pawlowski was saying on the radio broadcast after the game, all the current USF players returning need to hit the weights and get bigger and stronger. Get more mentally tough and get  a better understanding on how the Stanford offense works. It can be learned but it will take discipline to not false start or illegal motion all the **** time. They need to clean those penalites up for it to work. Also, I believe they have the leader in QB Mike White that will be vocal to all the current players to get it done. I can tell you this. I am a lot more excited for next season than I was during this season. WE EXPECT TO SEE IMPROVEMENT!!! If USF can get to about 6 or 7 wins then we can continue to build from there. GO BULLS!!!!!! This will be a big off season for the future. 

What really happened was Shaw didn't fit into Holtz's scheme, he couldn't pass block well so he was barely used. This depressed him since in high school he was Big Man On Campus. He didn't give his all to either classes or football because he was no longer treated as a star like in high school. Both his girlfriend and CWT said he needs to stop acting like he is in high school and work. He decided to change. Shaw made Shaw better.

I truly think if the ENTIRE team did this, USF would have had a winning season. I think the talent is there but some of these guys coasted. They got better during the year but taking the first part of the season off doomed them.

http://www.usforacle.com/shaw-seizes-senior-year-1.2835823?pagereq=1#.Uqm5ZifosfQ

I really disagree that his skills didn't fit into Holtz' scheme.  Shaw got benched because he like to dance around instead of hitting the hole.  The fact that he was lazy and expected everything handed to him was another factor.  Holtz tried to give Shaw opportunities multiple times, but Shaw blew it each time.  Every spring Holtz was excited about Shaw, and every fall Holtz was disappointed.  When you lose 15 yards on a running play because you are dancing around, it is difficult for the coach to put you back in the game.

Taggart wouldn't have put up with the immature Shaw any more than Holtz did.  Shaw is a prime example of a player finally maturing into the player he can be.  This is why most players sit as underclassmen and get an opportunity to start as upperclassmen.

Shaw had same yards per carry this year (4.9) as he did last year. I hope you have proof to back up what you claim about Shaw. Holtz proved he didn't have a clue about RBs when he kept changing Lindsey Lamar's position. It was obvious he needed the ball. Shaw was pissed as a junior when holtz didn't go to him after Lamar went down. BTW Barry Sanders danced around plenty. Didn't make him a bad RB.

Shaw was the starting RB either in game 1 of 2011 or 2012.  That lasted one game as he kept running backward instead of forward.  Not sure what other "proof" you might be looking for.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

In case you all don't remember, Taggart recruited Shaw to WKU. Shaw turned him down and committed to USF. Taggart wanted him bad. The funny part is that Taggart ends up being Shaw's coach at USF. 1st thing he noticed about Shaw is that his body still looked the same as it was in high school. Taggart immediated had Shaw put on the extra muscle and it turned Shaw's career at USF around. Now, as Justin Pawlowski was saying on the radio broadcast after the game, all the current USF players returning need to hit the weights and get bigger and stronger. Get more mentally tough and get  a better understanding on how the Stanford offense works. It can be learned but it will take discipline to not false start or illegal motion all the **** time. They need to clean those penalites up for it to work. Also, I believe they have the leader in QB Mike White that will be vocal to all the current players to get it done. I can tell you this. I am a lot more excited for next season than I was during this season. WE EXPECT TO SEE IMPROVEMENT!!! If USF can get to about 6 or 7 wins then we can continue to build from there. GO BULLS!!!!!! This will be a big off season for the future. 

What really happened was Shaw didn't fit into Holtz's scheme, he couldn't pass block well so he was barely used. This depressed him since in high school he was Big Man On Campus. He didn't give his all to either classes or football because he was no longer treated as a star like in high school. Both his girlfriend and CWT said he needs to stop acting like he is in high school and work. He decided to change. Shaw made Shaw better.

I truly think if the ENTIRE team did this, USF would have had a winning season. I think the talent is there but some of these guys coasted. They got better during the year but taking the first part of the season off doomed them.

http://www.usforacle.com/shaw-seizes-senior-year-1.2835823?pagereq=1#.Uqm5ZifosfQ

I really disagree that his skills didn't fit into Holtz' scheme.  Shaw got benched because he like to dance around instead of hitting the hole.  The fact that he was lazy and expected everything handed to him was another factor.  Holtz tried to give Shaw opportunities multiple times, but Shaw blew it each time.  Every spring Holtz was excited about Shaw, and every fall Holtz was disappointed.  When you lose 15 yards on a running play because you are dancing around, it is difficult for the coach to put you back in the game.

Taggart wouldn't have put up with the immature Shaw any more than Holtz did.  Shaw is a prime example of a player finally maturing into the player he can be.  This is why most players sit as underclassmen and get an opportunity to start as upperclassmen.

Shaw had same yards per carry this year (4.9) as he did last year. I hope you have proof to back up what you claim about Shaw. Holtz proved he didn't have a clue about RBs when he kept changing Lindsey Lamar's position. It was obvious he needed the ball. Shaw was pissed as a junior when holtz didn't go to him after Lamar went down. BTW Barry Sanders danced around plenty. Didn't make him a bad RB.

Shaw was the starting RB either in game 1 of 2011 or 2012.  That lasted one game as he kept running backward instead of forward.  Not sure what other "proof" you might be looking for.

2011 we had darrel scott and murray ahead of him.  didn't have a carry against ND. he had 20 carries for entire year. that's how it should have been. 2012 he had 6 carries in first 5 games combined. he didn't get benched. lamar won the job and rightly so.

I'd like to know where the proof is concerning his attitude.

2011 we had darrel scott and murray ahead of him.  didn't have a carry against ND. he had 20 carries for entire year. that's how it should have been. 2012 he had 6 carries in first 5 games combined. he didn't get benched. lamar won the job and rightly so.

I'd like to know where the proof is concerning his attitude.

You might read the article linked above, for one.  Or go back and watch the Pitt game last season, for another.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Man, you guys love to argue. Isn't it fact that Shaw made Shaw better between last year and this one when he decided to take responsibility and work harder. That sounds like a good blueprint for the rest of the team! Oh, wait, that's what the OP was saying...

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

If Shaw was 185 lbs he would have had 1300 yards or more. Unfortunately he was 150 soaking wet.

If Shaw was 185 lbs he would have had 1300 yards or more. Unfortunately he was 150 soaking wet.

He was like Warrick Dunn--small and under the radar--finesse, not power. I just wish he could have realized his potential earlier, this year could have been polish for him with potential for NFL.

He was like Warrick Dunn--small and under the radar--finesse, not power. I just wish he could have realized his potential earlier, this year could have been polish for him with potential for NFL.

Doesn't this completely contradict the original post, that Taggart got Shaw to increase his strength and that made all the difference?

Doesn't this completely contradict the original post, that Taggart got Shaw to increase his strength and that made all the difference?

I guess if you want it to, it does. But adding strength doesn't add height or change his game, it just makes him quicker & able to get a few extra yards at the end of the run.