• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Let's use the Shaw example on how CWT will make USF better.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  131
  • Days Won:  0

Marcus Shaw didn't get any better than he was. He just got more carries.

That is wrong as he got bigger and stronger. How can anyone deny that? Holtz didnt get the best out of him. Holtz basically wasted his talent. And it goes to prove that Taggart always liked his tallent coming out of high school. If Shaw would have chose WKU he would have been that much better during his Fresh or Soph year. No doubt.

Yes, I can question your point made about a bigger Shaw.  Last year's roster (from program for the UConn game) listed Shaw as being 189lbs.  This year's programs have Shaw listed as 178lbs.  So, it appears that either last year's roster/program weights were inaccurate, or this years roster/programs are way off?  Maybe Shaw got faster by dropping weight, but it appears that he Shaw actually got smaller or certainly did not get any bigger.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

I do wish Shaw could have been surrounded with better talent and more opportunity during his time at USF. He has mad mobility and his burst improved a lot, but he still didn't see the field all that well--didn't see the holes before they opened up, so he often just ran into the crowd. I really think more experience would have fixed that, though. I'm proud of his success this year, and that he got to mentor Tice & Davis. Wish him the best!

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Someone tell me why switching this team from a spread offense to power running team caused us to have the worst record ever. QB has to be biggest issue.

People tend to forget the last 3 games of spread offense without BJ last year.

I've really gotten tired of listening to this argument. So I decided to go back and see how bad the offense was after BJ got hurt last year. Guess what? It was better than this season.

Two of the opponents we also played this year. I'll use Rutgers as a comparable for Pitt, since they were both the last game of a miserable season.

2012 vs Miami - 358 total yards / 3 Turnovers

2013 vs Miami - 306 total yards / 3 Turnovers

2012 vs Cincy - 306 total yards / 2 Turnovers

2013 vs Cincy - 241 total yards / 1 Turnover

2012 vs Pitt - 117 total yards / 4 turnovers

2013 vs Rutgers - 151 total yards / 2 Turnovers

So Holtz had an offense built around BJ Daniels that had to change near the end of the season and a terrible defense to work with. Taggart had the entire offseason to build an offense around what he had to work with, and a Top 25 defense.

But most importantly the Pitt game really doesn't count since everyone in the locker room knew Holtz was a goner.

And the 2012 offense was still better. In fact, Floyd had a reasonably good completion percentage in his three game last year. So I think we can stop with that silly comparison.

A lot of yards in garbage time.

9, 10, 3 - points scored in the last 3 games. For an average of 7.3ppg. Want to throw out Pitt? So we averaged 9.5.

Also, 1 touchdown in the last 3 games. And that was midway through the 4th against cincy down 27-3.

Floyd did have above 50% completion percentage last year. Also had 0touchdowns and 7 interceptions.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

Someone tell me why switching this team from a spread offense to power running team caused us to have the worst record ever. QB has to be biggest issue.

I've really gotten tired of listening to this argument. So I decided to go back and see how bad the offense was after BJ got hurt last year. Guess what? It was better than this season.

Two of the opponents we also played this year. I'll use Rutgers as a comparable for Pitt, since they were both the last game of a miserable season.

So Holtz had an offense built around BJ Daniels that had to change near the end of the season and a terrible defense to work with. Taggart had the entire offseason to build an offense around what he had to work with, and a Top 25 defense.

But most importantly the Pitt game really doesn't count since everyone in the locker room knew Holtz was a goner.

And the 2012 offense was still better. In fact, Floyd had a reasonably good completion percentage in his three game last year. So I think we can stop with that silly comparison.

I will pile on too.

Conference wins:

2012 - 1

2013 - 2

Holy cow in his first year Taggart has double the conference wins in the preceding year!!!

Can we just take our conference wins, rushing yards, defensive turnovers, and plot the upward trajectory? Those are clearly better metrics.

Get out of here you nay sayers! Let the numbers do the talking (but only the ones that support my stance are valid).

Give Taggart BJ Daniels or Matt Grothe... This team does not lose that game to UCF or MSU and they do not give opponents more points than our own team in the fist half of the season.

Taggart had less Daniels but more conference wins than Holtz. I can only imagine with Holtz and his sorry defense we would be 0-12.

Lets put things in perspective. Same team with better QB is at minimum two more wins.

Edited by Gismo

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

Someone tell me why switching this team from a spread offense to power running team caused us to have the worst record ever.    QB has to be biggest issue. 

??? We dont have the O-Line nor the running personnel for a power running team. Not even close. O-Line should be Taggarts biggest concern imo this recruiting season now that it appears White will be the QB. 

O-LINE is the most critical position on offense followed closely by the QB.

this. Everything flows through them. 

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,504
  • Days Won:  43

Marcus Shaw didn't get any better than he was. He just got more carries.

That is wrong as he got bigger and stronger. How can anyone deny that? Holtz didnt get the best out of him. Holtz basically wasted his talent. And it goes to prove that Taggart always liked his tallent coming out of high school. If Shaw would have chose WKU he would have been that much better during his Fresh or Soph year. No doubt.

Yes, I can question your point made about a bigger Shaw.  Last year's roster (from program for the UConn game) listed Shaw as being 189lbs.  This year's programs have Shaw listed as 178lbs.  So, it appears that either last year's roster/program weights were inaccurate, or this years roster/programs are way off?  Maybe Shaw got faster by dropping weight, but it appears that he Shaw actually got smaller or certainly did not get any bigger.

1st of all, you can't believe what you read in the programs. Those are not always up to date or correct. 2nd of all, being bigger and stronger does not always mean you are going to be heavier. Shaw's frame looked the same as it did in high school according to USF coaches and CWT who met with him when he got the job. CWT put Shaw on a strength program that changed his body to add more muscle and strength. If you could not see the difference then you must be blind.  

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I will pile on too.

Conference wins:

2012 - 1

2013 - 2

Holy cow in his first year Taggart has double the conference wins in the preceding year!!!

Can we just take our conference wins, rushing yards, defensive turnovers, and plot the upward trajectory? Those are clearly better metrics.

Get out of here you nay sayers! Let the numbers do the talking (but only the ones that support my stance are valid).

Give Taggart BJ Daniels or Matt Grothe... This team does not lose that game to UCF or MSU and they do not give opponents more points than our own team in the fist half of the season.

Taggart had less Daniels but more conference wins than Holtz. I can only imagine with Holtz and his sorry defense we would be 0-12.

Lets put things in perspective. Same team with better QB is at minimum two more wins.

Completely different discussion.  My response was to Bull Martin's point about the last three games of last season after Daniels got hurt and specifically the offense, not including the performance of the defense.

You response is about the nine games before Daniels got hurt and how the offense only performed.  

Please tell me how your response is relevant.

Edited by ShadowBull

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Shadow, I stand by the comment.  The last three games without BJ are this seasons offense.

So, Taggart had an entire off-season to game-plan with Flyod and Eveld and that was supposed to make a lick of difference?  He spent the entire off-season trying to recruit a QB that should be playing football at all (His realistic best bet to do something in year 1).  In what style of offense or game-plan could have masked our glaring QB hole?  I'd love to see Eveld running the read option more...

We can't run the ball because our backs and O-line aren't equipped for the run game.  We can't pass the ball because our QB's love to throw / fumble for opponent TD's and our o-line couldn't pass block for **** (something that was recurring theme the last several years [it's not isolated to Taggart]).

I'm not sure this team would have been 0.500 in a decent the FCS conference.  That's because Skip did an utterly horrendous job at USF.  Taggart got a team with a talented-ish defense and an offensive group that averaged 221 yrds/game.

He wasn't hired to win in year one, which I know is what everyone would have hoped for.  He was hired to build the program back up.  Steady year over year improvement.  We know the floor.  It's time to evaluate how much Taggart can elevate the program from this point.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

I will pile on too.

Conference wins:

2012 - 1

2013 - 2

Completely different discussion. My response was to Bull Martin's point about the last three games of last season after Daniels got hurt and specifically the offense, not including the performance of the defense.

You response is about the nine games before Daniels got hurt and how the offense only performed.

Please tell me how your response is relevant.

If Taggart had Daniels or Grothe for 9 games we'd likely have at minimum 1, but as many as 3 or 4, more wins.

If Daniels was not out would we have had 6 wins last year?

Edited by Gismo

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

If Taggart had Daniels or Grothe for 9 games we'd likely have at minimum 1, but as many as 3 or 4, more wins.

If Daniels was not out would we have had 6 wins last year?

I know we're getting a little off-topic now, but I REALLY wish we could have seen BJ play in CWT's program. BJ was a hard worker, I think he would have gelled with Taggart and his legs would have made a huge difference for us. Sigh, okay, wishful thinking over...