• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

3rd year before we see a bowl game

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

We used the spread for all of those years and never won a conference championship. I am glad we changed to a power set; might as well try something new. However, I never thought it would be this bad with the learning and player skills being this poor.

Edited by NewEnglandBull

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I know we all want it back, the winning, the attendance, and the bowl game at the end of the year.

But it's not going to be any time soon.

Looking back, Holtz wasn't a bad coach, just a bad recruiter (he took the team to a bowl and beat Notre Dame).

Now, CWT doesn't have the players to run his system. And he's not adapting. But he can recruit, at least that's his reputation. So he needs his players to fit into his system. 1) they need to be recruited and play at USF. 2) they need development. That means time.

We might make a bowl next year if the schedule is soft enough.

Face it, we are looking at rebuilding from the ground up on the offensive side:

QB, RB, linemen, receivers, and the rest.

Our only hope for early success is that the defense plays really well. Well, we're depleted there. So that, too, will take time.

The system that Leavitt employed is gone! And there's no quick fix.

This new system is going to take time... We are a basketball school until the rebuilding is done.

P.S. If he were to adapt, we would have beaten Memphis. Mike is accurate. The plays called were terrible for his skills. The shifting and that trick play at the goal line that turned the ball over, etc., show that CWT is doing his system, regardless. He's giving up on the immediate success for the long term.

This is a slow bus!

Ok, so if we did run the spread with the same personnel that we have on the roster would the results really have been any different this year?

Which QB on the roster would have started the year? I think you still would have Floyd because Bench was not 100%. By running more, Bench stlill may have been injured, possibly earlier.

You still have the same problem at receiver we had the last 3 years. These guys don't get separation. They run bad routes and drop a ton of balls whether it is the spread or not.

Given that this is not the NFL and we can't trade for new players and Taggart has to play with the same personnel that played essentially at the same level last year as they are now, I don't see any different results.

One thing to think of that no one has discussed yet. Most of the young guys that are "Taggart's Guys" that have been seeing the most significant playing time are on defense. White and Tice (although limited) are the only "Taggart recruits" to contribute at all this year.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  725
  • Days Won:  0

We used the spread for all of those years and never won a conference championship. I am glad we changed to a power set; might as well try something new. However, I never thought it would be this bad with the learning and player skills being this poor.

That's why I miss the spread right now. I get what CWT is going for but this year's offense has been crazy boring to watch. Last year's spread wasn't much better at that end though either.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

But I read on this board that the bowls we were going to were worthless and we were better off with no bowl.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

That's why I miss the spread right now. I get what CWT is going for but this year's offense has been crazy boring to watch. Last year's spread wasn't much better at that end though either.

C. Florida seems to be enjoying a boring Power Offense quite a lot and all of their fans who were complaining about it have stopped. I know we have personnel issues, but running the spread, air raid, power, etc are all the same when you have no QB.

Edited by Hem
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

But I read on this board that the bowls we were going to were worthless and we were better off with no bowl.

It isn't necessarily that the bowls are worthless or not.  What going to a bowl game means is 15 additional practices, which we haven't had the past three seasons.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

A question for the spread crowd. Who would QB our team?

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

:)

They did seem to get too routine for some.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

It isn't necessarily that the bowls are worthless or not.  What going to a bowl game means is 15 additional practices, which we haven't had the past TWO seasons.

fixed ... though I'm sure you meant "won't have had"   ;)

• Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  2,233
  • Days Won:  6

It isn't necessarily that the bowls are worthless or not.  What going to a bowl game means is 15 additional practices, which we haven't had the past three seasons.

This^ (practice is HUGE),  in addition to the exposure for the program and school,  reward for the players who give their sweat blood and tears for the program, Helps with Recruiting Big time as well. 

Reward for the fans who make the yearly trips and actually support the team by buying tickets.  Bowls are HUGE and we have missed out on EVERYTHING the bowls have to offer for 3 years.  (Even the So called crappy bowls are a 3 to 4 hour infomercial about the school on National TV), Cant put a price on this.

Edited by Dhambuc