• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

2nd and goal call

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

Best part of this argument is that if he holds onto the ball and scores a TD, everyone on here talks about:

1.) how great of a play it was

2.) how that's the kind of risk taker we need unlike our last coach

+1

That's the thing about trick plays, when they work, they're brilliant.  When they don't, it was the stupidest play ever.

Yep, and then armchair coaches with the 20/20 hindsight come out of the woodwork ...

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

What makes "trick" plays effective is using a position in an unorthodox manner.

I have no problems with the call.

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

I also want to know why we punted from Memphis 35, but later kicked a FG from their 37...

This is by far the best criticism of a CWT coaching decision yet.  A true head-scratcher.

Wind?

No, just a bunch of hot air.....

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Best part of this argument is that if he holds onto the ball and scores a TD, everyone on here talks about:

1.) how great of a play it was

2.) how that's the kind of risk taker we need unlike our last coach

+1

That's the thing about trick plays, when they work, they're brilliant.  When they don't, it was the stupidest play ever.

Yep, and then armchair coaches with the 20/20 hindsight come out of the woodwork ...

honestly it's a dumb call whether it works or not. you take more risk handing it off to a lineman with the same reward. it's why you don't see it done anywhere else on the field especially on 2nd and 1.

I guess resorting to trickery when you are overmatched and they have proven able to stop your Rbs from getting in from the 1 might be acceptable but that wasn't the case.

I also want to know why we punted from Memphis 35, but later kicked a FG from their 37...

This is by far the best criticism of a CWT coaching decision yet.  A true head-scratcher.

Wind?

No, just a bunch of hot air.....

it wasn't wind. it was the game situation. that was the correct call. he was playiong field position on the first one as there was plenty of time left in the half. he was hoping to pin them deep(which he did at their 6) and then get them to punt but unfortunately they were able to get out to their 35. the second one he attempted the Fg because there was only 2 minutes left and he thought we wouldn't get the ball back so it didn't make sense to play for field position.

Depends on if he made enough of them ... and what in the heck does Floyd have to do with this conversation?? ....Your analogies suck.

that is an example of someone practicing a simple task that they couldn't master in 2 years.

Again, which has absolutely nothing to do with what we're talking about. If we used that stupid analogy, the game should be shut down because NOBODY would be able to learn how to do the simplest things.

as for the QB kicking field goals, you probably wouldn't do it if you had a capable kicker as we have capable RBs to run the ball.

So you're apparently saying that teams should NEVER use any kind of trick play like that, ie halfback passes, fake punts and kicks not involving skill players, tackle eligible plays, etc because of the risk involved ... ?

I get that they might be difficult for some to understand.

Stupid analogies usually are ...

shut down? plenty of people learn how to do simple things like taking a handoff. they're called running backs. they do it thousands of times in their careers. It takes more than a weeks worth of practice.

I guess I'll have to ask again. What does the Floyd analogy have to do with this particular conversation, then? .... The answer is still "Nothing".

I believe someone said that taking a handoff was a simple task and that practicing it for a week would suffice. I suggested that taking a snap was just as easy and a QB who had trained his entire career still hadn't mastered it.

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  1,720
  • Days Won:  3

Willie draws up his plays from watching HS football

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X9WwxzZ8E4