• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Coach T deflects critism of Eveld==White's not ready

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

All of  the Mike White backers are assuming that he's a better option than Eveld or Floyd.  You know there's a chance that he's not as good, right?

No, they're not assuming. He was great in high school, so that means he's got to be the best choice among our QBs in this college-level offense. Nevermind he won't have time to read or throw most of the time, or that the WRs might not be where they're supposed to be. He'll obviously find a way...

• Topic Count:  2,696
  • Content Count:  6,928
  • Days Won:  0

What ever happened to Matt Floyd.

He impressed WT in the Spring & Fall and won the starting job. He did not do well against McNeese State. But he did win the job.

Is it that he cannot make the plays in game situations? Isn't that a learned behavior?

I just find it strange that we never hear of him anymore.

Will Bench be ready to start against L'Ville?

Ty

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  993

IMHO - Mike White should have started the UConn game.  If he is our future then lets start the future now.  No one here is claiming he is the next Andrew Luck but it does seem like(based on coaches comments and HS history) he may be the best passer on the team and at this point accurate passing would be very very helpful to this team.  Let him make the freshman mistakes now because I don't see how this season can end well.

I do have a concern that the coaching staff doesn't feel he is ready and they should know best but I also fear if he is not ready to go now that our future does not look very bright.  QB play has been pretty bad this year and if White isn't that talented when will he be good enough to lead this team ?

Look at our history - BJ Daniels- was he ready to go in when Matt Grothe went down ? None of us thought so yet after playing one half of football at USF he started the next game beat FSU on the road.

I guess you have to trust the coaches but from the bleachers I say give Mike the rock and lets see what he does the rest of the year.

Where were you in 2009?  A lot of people were making noise about starting BJ over a healthy Grothe.  But besides that, he had also redshirted at that point(with some live action his redshirt year), had played probably 12 series of live football, had true dual threat ability to rely on, and was working in an offense full of players who were already comfortable in that offense.  This situation is nowhere near as good for White.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  993

All of  the Mike White backers are assuming that he's a better option than Eveld or Floyd.  You know there's a chance that he's not as good, right?

No, they're not assuming. He was great in high school, so that means he's got to be the best choice among our QBs in this college-level offense. Nevermind he won't have time to read or throw most of the time, or that the WRs might not be where they're supposed to be. He'll obviously find a way...

Yea, Mike White played on a stacked team, with a couple WR's who would be pushing for PT here as true freshman

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

I don't think anyone will argue that BJ was better than any QB on our current roster. But the (minor) point here is that QB is not the sole issue in our pathetic offense.

not the sole but certainly 85% of the problems. until we get that issue fixed nothing will change.

BJ is gone and we obviously don't have anyone on the roster that can fill those shoes, so what's your point? Everyone has acknowledged the QB play is bad, but you seem to look at the mess at WR and OL and think we have no issues.

sorry but WRs can't pass to themselves. they were fine with BJ. perfect?? no not even close but good enough. o-line can't hold blocks for the 6 seconds it takes our QBs to pass the ball. they are certainly proven run blockers.

again 85% of our offensive issues are directly related to our QB play. nothing will change until that is resolved. we haven't scorted an offensive TD in 6 of our last 9 games.

O-line - 15%

TE's  -   10%

WR's -  25%

QB's  -  30%

Coaching - 20%

30% ?? what a joke.

we don't have a guy on the roster that averages more than 90 yards passingper game. completion percentages are all below 45%. I can't even tell you what ridiculous TD to turnover ratio there is with these guys. they have literally scored more points for the opponents than they have for us.

all of the mike white backers would like to find out.

we already know that the other 3 aren't the answer.

he was definitely a more accomplished passer in high school.

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

all of the mike white backers would like to find out.

we already know that the other 3 aren't the answer.

he was definitely a more accomplished passer in high school.

Is it worth burning his redshirt though? CWT sees him in practice daily and if he doesn't think he can go out and win us 4+ games to get us bowling, then i do not think it's worth it.

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

I don't think anyone will argue that BJ was better than any QB on our current roster. But the (minor) point here is that QB is not the sole issue in our pathetic offense.

not the sole but certainly 85% of the problems. until we get that issue fixed nothing will change.

BJ is gone and we obviously don't have anyone on the roster that can fill those shoes, so what's your point? Everyone has acknowledged the QB play is bad, but you seem to look at the mess at WR and OL and think we have no issues.

sorry but WRs can't pass to themselves. they were fine with BJ. perfect?? no not even close but good enough. o-line can't hold blocks for the 6 seconds it takes our QBs to pass the ball. they are certainly proven run blockers.

again 85% of our offensive issues are directly related to our QB play. nothing will change until that is resolved. we haven't scorted an offensive TD in 6 of our last 9 games.

So is your point that we are just screwed?  If that's your end result then I am not sure I can disagree.  But as for MW, we have a professional head coach saying "Mike White is not ready to play [at this level of college football]".  Taggart has shown that he will put a freshman out there if they are ready (see the other 7 guys on the field).  So for this past game, and as depressing as it is, Eveld seemed to be the best option despite his being injured.

As a side note, have you actually WATCHED the receiver play?  We have a few that have zero talent and the ones that do have talent are not giving even an ounce of effort out there.  I would be happy if Taggart would park Davis' ass on the pine because he is hurting the team out there.

our wr's were fine with BJ. in fact our offense last year as a whole was pretty good with BJ. there is one thing that has changed.

One thing .... really?? So the coaches and playbook are the same from last year .... you're going to have some pissed off board members when they find that out.

obviously it was in reference to the quality of the personnel(wr and o-line) that was referenced in the post I quoted.

You said our offense as a whole was fine last year ... "offense a a whole" is about more than just players.

no actually it's not. whole as in entire personnel group. sorry if I didn't come across.